How to recover Seamonkey?

Booting, installing, newbie
DemostiX

#1 Post by DemostiX »

Found a Seamonkey 2.0.3, though it is not obvious how within this forum. Seamonkey2.0.2q.pet promised not to change previous installation. After installation, Browse icon no longer starts SM 1.18, as it had before. And none of the helpfile methods for starting 2.0.3 start it either.

If "q" refers to qt, that should have been found from past installations of components required for Opera.

Not the first time something like this has happened, for what the user is often told is a security - motivated upgrade.

Suggestions on recovering both browsers, if possible. In the meantime, I'll go to a backup puppy savefile.

Experienced Linux users are comfortable searching for the pieces of their browser installation. Others are not. Might this be fixed in the future? On another OS, a diagnostic applet was developed and useful. It reported where the files had been installed that were part of internet applications and which apps were default.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

I remember vaguely I had to copy xxxx.60.so libraries from the SeaMonkey directory to /lib.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

On reading your post, it seems to me the primary request is in the topic title:

If your installation type is a frugal, an actual recovery is possible.

It works sort of like this:
The original SeaMonkey is in the pup_???.sfs file

The replacement that didn't work right is in your pup_save file.
An experienced user would be able to mount the pup_save file, locate the changes, delete them and when he reboots, he has his original SeaMonkey back.

An inexperienced user would need step by step guidance. The detail in the steps would depend on the overall computer literacy of the user.

If you don't have much time invested in this particular setup, the easiest thing by far would be to start over with a fresh pup_save file.

FWIW: If you specify exactly where you got this file, maybe, and that is maybe someone will look it over to determine what unwanted changes it did to you.
yarddog

#4 Post by yarddog »

I upgraded my seamonkey (2.0 version) to seamonkey 2.0.3 version
and had major problems after upgrade. Browser basically worked, but
things like bareview, gtkmoz, mozedit, etc bombed. I tried running these from console and came up with missing libraries. each time I added the named missing library, another, then another, then another, was missing. Enough already....

I found the upgrade at www.puppylinux.org/wikka/SeaMonkey
web page stated that sqlite-3.6.22 was required. I installed this also

I was using puppy 4.31 final, full install on which I upgraded seamonkey 1.18 to 2.0 with any problems whatsoever.. Only thing i could figure out was a new install forgetting about this upgrade which I have just completed.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: How to recover Seamonkey?

#5 Post by Béèm »

DemostiX wrote:If "q" refers to qt, that should have been found from past installations of components required for Opera.
The q indicates it's compiled in quirky. See the link in Yarddog's post.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch