Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#1541 Post by jemimah »

jamesbond wrote: That is, when you make a save file, make it as small as possible (I'm using 128MB myself). Put all your apps *outside* the save file (ie in the SD card itself, i.e in /mnt/home). Then use symbolic link (ln -s) into your save file. A smaller save file will drastically cutdown your shutdown time ... This method is not new and have been discussed a couple of times, just do a search.
One thing to note, if you have an SSD, you want to keep files that are written to frequently inside the save file, or you might was well just run without a RAM layer. Also, apps probably can't be installed this way to NTFS or FAT32 filesytems, due to the lack of support for symbolic links.
jemimah

#1542 Post by jemimah »

Here is the clever version of rox-menu that only updates the Rox Menu file structure rather than recreating it every time you install or remove something. Both installing packages and shutdown saving should be faster because of this.

Just decompress it and replace the rox-menu in /usr/local/bin. This isn't thoroughly tested yet, and it does recursive deletes, so make a backup first.
Attachments
rox-menu.gz
(724 Bytes) Downloaded 250 times
barriew

Beta 4.2 on 900 no wifi!

#1543 Post by barriew »

Jemimah,

I tried the latest Beta (4.2) on my 900 but it doesn't load the wireless module. I did lsmod and it came back empty!

I don't see anyone else reporting this fault which is strange! I think it needs the Ath5k module.

Barrie
jakfish

#1544 Post by jakfish »

barriew--

I have a 900 and don't have your problem. Are you sure you've downloaded and are using ze442331.sfs (that's where the modules live)?

Jake
barriew

#1545 Post by barriew »

Jake,

Yes that is the file - and I've downloaded it a couple of times.

Barrie
jemimah

#1546 Post by jemimah »

Hmmm, you can check against the md5sums to make sure that you have both the celeron kernel and the celeron zdrive - mix and matching does not work. Also, we discovered that if you put your save file on a different drive than your eee-432.sfs file, the zdrive needs to be in the same place as the save file.
barriew

#1547 Post by barriew »

I realised it was picking up an earlier save file, have now stopped that, and now get the " Your wireless card was not detected. Please enable in the BIOS" ..which it is.

Barrie
jemimah

#1548 Post by jemimah »

If you do lsmod and still have no modules, then there must be another problem as well.
jakfish

#1549 Post by jakfish »

How very strange. Because all the original 900s use the ath5k, so I'm able to load but you're not... Are you using frugal or internal sd install?

Jake
barriew

#1550 Post by barriew »

I checked the MD5 sums - all Ok.

I have now tried with the Atom files - same result! At the moment I am trying to boot from a USB stick. I have tried a couple of different sticks.

Its not important - I have a frugal instal of Beta 3.5 (I thnk) and have just loaded a full install of Puppy 4.3.1 onto another drive.

Either of these will allow me to do what I want. Off to my other hobby now!!

Barrie
barriew

#1551 Post by barriew »

OK - I've now got 4.2 to recognise my Wireless adaptor. I completely removed the frugal install of 3.5 from the machine. Obviously it was picking something from that install, but I'm not sure what as I had renamed the save file and it didn't use that. I thought all the other files were version specific.

Barrie
jakfish

#1552 Post by jakfish »

Ah, the joys of testing. We should all do what jemimah has done, and buy used machines for testing purposes only.

Jake
jamesbond

#1553 Post by jamesbond »

jemimah wrote:Here is the clever version of rox-menu that only updates the Rox Menu file structure rather than recreating it every time you install or remove something. Both installing packages and shutdown saving should be faster because of this.

Just decompress it and replace the rox-menu in /usr/local/bin. This isn't thoroughly tested yet, and it does recursive deletes, so make a backup first.
Wow, look at how that puppy runs! Seriously, this speeds up the shutdown saving by at least 50% ! Thanks Jemimah!

Does the script use specific knowledge of puppeee? Or is it generic enough for other puppies?

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]
jemimah

#1554 Post by jemimah »

I think it's generic - I tried to make it generic.

I will probably release a new pet for Rox-Menu when I'm happy with it.
The original rox-applets thread is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47280, though I've further modfied rox-menu so you can rebuild the menus automatically instead of having to refresh by right clicking.
barriew

#1555 Post by barriew »

jakfish wrote:Ah, the joys of testing. We should all do what jemimah has done, and buy used machines for testing purposes only.

Jake
Actually that's about all I use mine for! It was bought for an extended trip to Oz & NZ, and now mainly gets used for trying out versions of Puppy & Pupeee. Xandros self-destructed, so now I only use Puppy!

Barrie
Nevermore

#1556 Post by Nevermore »

jemimah wrote:Nevermore, Where are you getting thunderbird from? I just downloaded 3.1Beta from the thunderbird website, extracted the package, and it runs fine. The fonts are very small, but I think there's a fix for that on the forum somewhere.
Hello jemimah
I use thunderbird 2 since the 3 has given me too many problems on ubuntu.
I downloaded the tar.gz precompiled from thunderbird website.
here it is http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... .24.tar.gz
--
/sbin/Nevermore
jemimah

#1557 Post by jemimah »

That version worked for me too. I just extracted it, then clicked on the script named thunderbird.
Nevermore

#1558 Post by Nevermore »

very strange.
over here doesnt start at all.
I will make a fresh pupsave and try again.
--
/sbin/Nevermore
jemimah

#1559 Post by jemimah »

If it doesn't start, try it from the command line and report what the error is. Maybe it's a localization problem or something.
jamesbond

#1560 Post by jamesbond »

Hi Jemimah,

I'd like to report that fullscreen video (gxine) under FLWM flickers. I'm playing some mp4 videos I got from youtube.Non-fullscreen playback is fine. The same video under the same gxine under JWM works fine in fullscreen.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]