How to share ADSL connection using telephone as proxy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Volodya

How to share ADSL connection using telephone as proxy?

#1 Post by Volodya »

Hi, please forgive my lack of terminology as I'm just a beginner. First, I explain my situation:

What I want to do is to share the internet connected to a computer with a telephone, over another telephone which is permanently connected to the pc.

The thing is, that some guys found a way of making this on windows, in fact, I already set it up on xp and works like a charm, it involves configuring in a certain way the telephone, and to use 2 programs. One is CCProxy, which redirects the internet connection to the telephone, and another one, which updates the IP address of the telephone connection to dyndns, so that I can put that address on my second telephone as proxy, and this way, surf on the net through my home internet on the telephone anywhere. Tricky right?

Now, the thing is I don't like at all booting windows only for sharing internet with my telephone. So I want to do it in Linux. I use Ubuntu and Puppy Linux home.

I tried setting up the connection to the modem with wvdial, and... I got connected! But hey, when I connect to the telephone, I lost my internet connection (main, cable based, the pc connection) :-S. I mean, somehow, the "active" connection for the browsers and all the internet programs is now the connection I have made with my telephone, which is plugged to the computer.

Now my objective here is that NO CHANGE of active connections get done when I start the connection to the phone, and then, get a program like CCProxy, and a dyndns updater for sharing the internet connection on the pc, to the connection made on the telephone-modem wired to the computer.

Am I clear? I know it is confusing, and it took me weeks to understand how it works and get it done in Windows. But now... Puppy is what I want.

Any ideas?

Thank you all very much,

Volodya
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

By telephone do you mean a dial-up connection, with modems connected by a regular telephone line?
Volodya

#3 Post by Volodya »

The situation is this:

The computer is connected to a hub, which is also connected to a modem/router, which manages the connection to internet (ADSL).

Now I plug a telephone through USB to the computer, and I start using it as a modem, I mean, not to use internet, but to share through that connection the connection I'm using on the computer (ADSL)

Is it clearer? If I had money enough and didn't have the ADSL, through the phone you are able to connect to the internet, but here, costs much...
So what I did is, I found a way of configuring the telephone (using as APN the mms server), and with the same configuration on a second phone, plus some programs (CCProxy), I'm able to use the connection of the computer (ADSL) that passes to the telephone which is being used as a modem that sends the info to the mms server of the company, so, when I connect to the mms server on the second phone, I can use the ADSL in the telephone.

Tricky, I know but saves money.

Please, anybody, what I'm asking here, is how to route (I think that is the correct word) the connection I get from the router/modem (ADSL), to the PPPoE connection, that is made to the telephone which is being used as modem.

Am I clearer?

Thank you for pitching in, really appreciated!
[quote]"The ideas of the ruling class are in every epoch the ruling ideas"

Karl Marx[/quote]
PANZERKOPF

#4 Post by PANZERKOPF »

You must install a PPP dial-up server on computer connected to
internet via ADSL router. A mobile phone attached in same computer will be used
as modem for ingoing calls.
This is "my theory". I never had such a task.
SUUM CUIQUE.
Volodya

#5 Post by Volodya »

I just set up the connection to the ADSL modem/router, setting gateway, ip adress, and dns servers and that's it, internet works on the computer.

Now, I want to share that connection with the telephone. When I connect to the mms apn through the telephone which is plugged to the computer, I have now TWO active connections. PPPoE (mms server), and eth0 (ADSL).

Now I think Puppy is trying here to reach the internet through the PPPoE connection, and that's wrong. Whenever I connect to the mms apn, puppy think that I'm actually connecting to internet with the telephone (which acts as a PPPoE modem).

It should connect to the internet, as always, through eth0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 and a static ip adress, like 192.168.1.2, and the dns servers specified, and.. that's it.

What I want, once again, is to share the eth0 connection (which has internet access) with the pppoe connection (mms apn) so I can have internet in a second telephone, which connects to the mms apn.

I made it easier to understand? :-(

The thing is whenever I connect with the telephone with wvdial, connection is OK! but, Puppy starts trying to get to internet through it, somehow the configuration changes, and... goodbye internet on the computer.

When I get this solved (having the two connections active, and being able to use internet on the computer through eth0 as always at the same time) I'd like to "route" (I read that on Ubuntu there is a program called Squid) the internet connection to the phone. To share it to the plugged phone, so that it would act as a proxy to the internet for the second telephone.

Ufff, complicated.

Thank you guys!

Karl Marx[/quote]
Patriot

#6 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

I think your setup looks something like this:

Code: Select all

[ switch/hub ]
|  |
|  |---- [modem/router] <--ADSL--> ( Internet )
|
|----- [PC 1: proxy/ras_server] <--analog_modem(56k)--> [PC2]

I understand exactly what you wanted to achieve. One of the more simpler how-to is here ... The (unconfigured) PPP dial-in service is already in puppy but a few other utils for a working ppp dial-in is missing. Setting them all up by hand is probably not for the newbies ...

So, may I suggest using freesco instead ?

If you have an old 486/pentium 16MB ram bootable computer with a working floppy drive and modem then I would recommend trying and using www.freesco.org router. Freesco is a linux based router running from a 1.44MB floppy disk. I've been using them for years ...

This is how the setup may look like:

[ switch/hub ]
|  |  |
|  |  |---- [modem/router] <--ADSL--> ( Internet )
|  |
|  |----- [486/pentium: freesco dial-in router] <--analog_modem(56k)--> [PC2]
|
|----- [PC 1: user]

Rgds
Volodya

#7 Post by Volodya »

Hi!!

First off, thank you a lot for helping.

Patriot I think you are closer to the concept, but it's not a dial-up server what I want to set up. Although I think maybe Freesco could do it, I have to research, or some of you could tell me please.

I want, instead, that the modem connection (set up BY Puppy, not by a remote user) would receive the internet connection from ADSL, but, I want Puppy to route it.

It would look like this:

[ switch/hub ]
| |
| |---- [modem/router] <--ADSL--> ( Internet )
|
|----- [PC 1: proxy/ras_server] <--telephone1,acting as modem

Now Without cables, I can access with a second telephone, to the telephone1, which is acting as a modem, and access adsl, which is being routed by puppy.

Here puppy would be the brain, the working piece. Which would route the requests from TEL1 to internet, and vice versa. It would act as a proxy.

ADSL --- PC ---- TEL1

TEL 2 (-*-*-*-*->) TEL 1 --- PC -- ADSL

Anyone get it?

Thank you a lot!!

Karl Marx[/quote]
Patriot

#8 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Yes, freesco (latest version is 0.4.2) can do what you want and even do much much more ... I did a similar setup like yours plus a vpn add-on on freesco 0.3.5 for someone a couple of years back. Doing the same thing in puppy takes a much longer learning curve. If you're really keen on it, give freesco a spin, learn how they do it and then port it over to puppy ...

Good luck!

Rgds
Volodya

#9 Post by Volodya »

The problem with freesco is that I have to boot it in an individual computer. And my idea was that, everytime I boot Puppy (because it is my every-day system), I had working the connection, the proxy.

Is it really hard to configure it on Puppy? Because, in winxp, I needed just 2 programs, and it is really really, even stupid doing it. I wonder why is it (if it is) so complicated to do in Puppy, that is far too much better OS.

Thank you

Karl Marx[/quote]
npierce

#10 Post by npierce »

Volodya wrote:The thing is whenever I connect with the telephone with wvdial, connection is OK! but, Puppy starts trying to get to internet through it, somehow the configuration changes, and... goodbye internet on the computer.
What do you get when you give the route command before you run wvdial? I'm guessing that you get something like this:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 wlan0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan0
What do you get when you try it again after running wvdial?

It sounds like the PPP daemon, pppd, is setting up a default route through your new connection. That is what most people would want so that they can use that connection to reach the Internet. But, of course, you don't want that since you already have a connection to the Internet.

If the address of your gateway has changed, you can change it back to what it should be. For instance:

route delete default
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
If you are lucky and nothing else is wrong, that should restore your Internet.

If you look in /etc/ppp/options you will probably find a line that says defaultroute. Try changing that to nodefaultroute and then stopping and restarting your connection to the modem.

If you then still have Internet access through your router, you have taken a first step. But as Patriot said, the learning curve could be a long one. You still need to learn about how to forward packets from one interface to the other, and you need to consider security issues like: if you can connect via your telephone, can anyone? A good firewall package can help with some of this, but be aware that what you are doing is somewhat different from what most people would be doing, so keep that in mind when you read its documentation.
Volodya wrote:I tried setting up the connection to the modem with wvdial, and... I got connected!
I hadn't realized that wvdial handled PPPoE. Just curious, are you using it directly or via PupDial?

Anyway, good luck with your project.
Volodya

#11 Post by Volodya »

Hi npierce

thank you for telling me all these things that are, very very interesting for me.

I think you really hit the spot here. With those hints.

In a few hours I'll try this out and post back what I get, but now I can advance you that on Puppy I dial through PupDial, I think. But I'll confirm you in a few hours. On Ubuntu I'm 100% using wvdial directly from a terminal.

Karl Marx[/quote]
Volodya

#12 Post by Volodya »

It didn't work :-(

I'll make a more detailed post as soon as I have free time.

Cheers

Karl Marx[/quote]
Patriot

#13 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Ok, if you insist then you definitely need at least mgetty for puppy to answer the incoming modem call.

Grab mgetty (compiled with AutoPPP enabled) below and make the necessary configuration based on this guide. From this point onwards, the setup config is fully your responsibility.

Rgds