Norhtec Gecko Clone

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
chris667

Norhtec Gecko Clone

#1 Post by chris667 »

I'm rather wishing I hadn't bought this now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Netbook-L9- ... 4a9dffd17c

Have (finally) got Puppy 4.3.1 to boot on it. No joy with wireless yet, or sound. It all worked when it arrived, but it had an unlicensed Windows XP installation with cracked versions of Office 2007 and Photoshop; I deleted it because I don't want anything to do with pirate software. Plus you couldn't update anything. Not safe at all.

And after a long session in use, it's really, really hot. I understand Norhtec have replaced the panel underneath the computer with an aluminium one, but this has a piece of non-ventilated plastic, and the instructions say not to use the computer when you're charging the batteries. How can that be sensible?

What to do? I might try to make a copy of the Norhtec cover in aluminium. Has anyone got a Norhtec, and if so would you show me a picture of what yours looks like?

I am tempted to try and get a refund, but I've removed the original operating system; I'm not sure if I'll get away with it.

What to do next?
Last edited by chris667 on Sat 15 May 2010, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

They are flogging off early pre-release builds of the Edubook. Yeah, they overheat. Even with the metal back plate it is a bit critical.

I created a Quirky Puppy awhile back that worked nicely on my Gecko, sound, wireless, ethernet, power-off. I'll do another build of that very soon, based on Quirky 1.1, and will announce it on my blog.

One thing you could do is mount a small fan onto the back plate.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]
tubeguy

Re: Norhtec Gecko Clone

#3 Post by tubeguy »

chris667 wrote:
I am tempted to try and get a refund, but I've removed the original operating system; I'm not sure if I'll get away with it.

What to do next?
If it came with unlicensed Windows it may as well not have come with an OS at all, seems like legally it didn't. Also the listing specified a Linux OS would be installed. You should be able to get a refund. You would actually be returning it to them in advertised condition.

What a bum deal. I recently had a go around with a Sun workstation from eBay and it made me more wary (pun intended) of eBay products in general.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]
chris667

#4 Post by chris667 »

A reply from Barry Kauler; I am honoured! 8)

I'd be very interested to see what you come up with, Barry. I don't want to give this machine up, because on the face of it it ticks so many boxes! I live on a boat, so no reliable access to mains. A computer I can run with AA batteries is very useful indeed, as I could run it direct from my solar panels.

I wonder if I could underclock it? I'll take a look.

Tubeguy, you are right, it's not as described. I would quite like to keep this if it had Linux installed and properly working.
chris667

#5 Post by chris667 »

Right, I've contacted the seller.

I've said I would like some media with legal software that works with the computer.

Perhaps they thought they were doing me a favour, giving me all this "free" software. It's a pity, we have some brilliant software out there in open source now, but this idea that the commercial software is all that's worth having still pervades. They probably thought they were doing me a favour.

Let's see what happens on Monday.
cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

" pirate software "

But you live on a boat, so isn't that halfway legal.

"""""""

Here's BKs posts chris667 >> MY GECKO SAGA:
If Barry has something working then download it.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01394

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01394

Go to the bottom of the page for his other posts on it.

Keep posting back if you need help and we'll try and
help you out.

Chris.
chris667

#7 Post by chris667 »

cthisbear wrote:" pirate software "

But you live on a boat, so isn't that halfway legal.
:lol:
Bligh

#8 Post by Bligh »

I felt honored to have Barry K respond to one of my posts also. I want to be a part of something like this.
Cheers
chris667

#9 Post by chris667 »

OK.

I've got a polite message from them saying I can either have a refund, download linux from their website, or return it to get a laptop with Linux back. Apparently, they charge £25 more for a laptop with a Windows XP license.

I don't know what to do now! I really, really want one of these, but I am completely put off. The design is too badly flawed, it's OBVIOUS it isn't as good as my Samsung NC10 and it isn't cheaper.

What to do? I'm downloading Quirky 1.1 now, we'll have to see what it's like with that.

What wifi adaptor does the Gecko come with?
postfs1

Re: Norhtec Gecko Clone

#10 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.