Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
prehistoric

#2041 Post by prehistoric »

jemimah wrote:...Opps, the old initrd snuck in there somehow.

Here's the intended one:
http://puppeee.com/files/Puppeee%20RC35/initrd.gz
So, it wasn't another example of "old-timers disease" that kept me busy last night.
jakfish

#2042 Post by jakfish »

>> At the bare minimum, you'd need to remaster it without the kernel modules in /lib/modules and adjust /etc/DISTRO_SPECS. There's a few other problems you might run into since I build in most of the modules - some scripts hardware detection will fail without modification. <<

Bummer. You've developed, I think, the fastest eee kernel available. I've never seen anything else boot as fast, but the fact that it's not portable probably accounts some for its speed.

Jake
jemimah

#2043 Post by jemimah »

People keep telling me how Lucid Lynx boots faster. I still haven't installed it to find out how. There's a post on my blog that tells you how to speed it up even more - you should be able to get a full install down to about 10 or 15 seconds if you use the zdrv cutter.

Out of curiosity, what Puplets do you want to use the eee kernel with?
jakfish

#2044 Post by jakfish »

Well, I want to help troubleshoot Official 4.32, so thought it'd be intriguing to experiment with a jem kernel/official release hybrid.

I've done some testing of RC5:

1) upon initial boot, I had disabled wifi in BIOS. Although rc5 turned on wifi, it told me it couldn't detect it. No biggie--you just have to reboot, and everything's fine, but I'm almost certain you'll get some frantic post :)

2) I had trouble doing a save from the desktop icon; trouble with opening my frugal stick; trouble with a frozen shutdown. But I could repeat none of it upon repeated reboots. So it may have been bad luck only

3) lid suspend continues to work swimmingly

4) bluetooth in great shape as well, even in xvesa

5) PCManFM--I don't know this app well, but could not choose "All Local Disk Partitions" for search criteria

6) SearchMonkey very slow. For instance, I looked for "bluetoothoff", a file in /etc/acpid, and it took a looong time

Can I ask why you've gone for these two file searchers when pfind is far faster and easier to use? Again, no big deal, but I don't find either of these searchers helpful at all.

Other than those few things, everything's great. I tried puptelly for the first time and even in xvesa, I brought up a film with a screaming Bismarck in it. Lip movement matched his rants perfectly.

Many thanks,
Jake
jemimah

#2045 Post by jemimah »

Hmm, I do all my searching from the command line so I haven't really tested the searchers much.

PCManFM Find comes will PCManFM, so it might as well be on the menu. A lot of people were recommending SearchMonkey as being great. So the only reason Pfind is gone is to reduce menu clutter, and I think I had some trouble fitting it on 7inch screens, but I don't remember now.

Anyone else have an opinion on searchers? This is easily fixed if searchmonky sucks.
barriew

Problem with Bootinst.bat

#2046 Post by barriew »

Jemimah,

Just tried the RC3. When I tried to make the USB stick bootable in Win 7, I got the following error message.

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\Harddisk2\DR2" With an SD card the number is 3.

By pressing some sequence of Cancel, Continue, Try Again (I didn't keep a note of the sequence) the installer runs, but an error comes up in the Dos window - Access to MBR denied or similar.

After all this, the USB or SD card is bootable!

Barrie
jemimah

#2047 Post by jemimah »

Do you have any other usb devices or empty drives plugged in? When I run it with my 3G modem plugged in, which has an empty slot for microSD, I get a similar error.
barriew

#2048 Post by barriew »

Jemimah,

Yes - a keyboard/mouse and a printer. Its not a problem to me, just thought you should know. The Linux script works no problem.

Barrie
jemimah

#2049 Post by jemimah »

I don't really know anything about scripting on windows (I copied the script from Slax). If anyone else does, and knows how to make the windows script better, I'd be all about it.
01micko

#2050 Post by 01micko »

I bet the printer has a couple of card slots, my cheapo printer does... could explain it
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
jemimah

#2051 Post by jemimah »

I just got Fluppy booting with the new kernel. I should have a beta out sometime this week.
smokey01

#2052 Post by smokey01 »

Excellent.

I'm looking forward to trying Fluppy on my Kogan 10" netbook.

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-agora-netbook-pro/

gOS is ok but Puppy is much better.

Thanks
prehistoric

rc3.5 works on 1000HE and 900A

#2053 Post by prehistoric »

I've tested RC3.5 on two Asus Eee PC netbooks, and can report success.

As I have never liked Icewm, I typically switch to Openbox soon after I have Puppeee working. This shows up problems with the wallpaper setter and restart X window option on the shutdown menu. (Exiting to prompt and typing xwin does work.) There are likely other rough spots I haven't noticed. I still have warm feelings for JWM, which seems satisfactory on Lucid Puppy.

I have installed that impressive Internet wallpaper. Now, I need a clue about where best to change the color of the text under all those icons. Black disappears completely against a black background.
01micko

#2054 Post by 01micko »

Jemimah

Forget that crap I was rattling on about on the previous page.
I got it to make a bootable disk in Mandriva.

Very simple change.. it was halting on errors. Why? I don't know much about set -e, I know set -x gives a verbose readout but what does -e do? Anyways, I commented them both and the script ran from a double click!

Made a bootable disk to, but obviously has the wrong initrd,gz,, or something the guys have mentioned.

Cheers, nice work.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
jemimah

Re: rc3.5 works on 1000HE and 900A

#2055 Post by jemimah »

prehistoric wrote:I
As I have never liked Icewm, I typically switch to Openbox soon after I have Puppeee working. This shows up problems with the wallpaper setter and restart X window option on the shutdown menu. (Exiting to prompt and typing xwin does work.) There are likely other rough spots I haven't noticed.
I can't reproduce the wall paper problem. More info please.

You must mean the restart X on the openbox men - I'll take a look.
sandungas

#2056 Post by sandungas »

jakfish wrote:sandungas--

Is there any way you can release a version of your way-cool wallpaper with a full stretch of the actual map (losing the black bands on the top and bottom)?

Jake
No, sorry
The originall images has this aspect ratio (width/height) and cant be cutted at the sides because if you cut them... the lines at the borders dont match
If you add more "ground" at the poles, the image becomes completly unreal... actually the image is deformed at the poles (are not so big)
Another option was to stretch the images to the top or bottom.... but this makes a deformation in the continents (very notable that is not real)

These are the originall images
The bottom one is a satellite image from NASA web (i dont remember the originall link)
http://www.astrosurf.com/tiotuyin/conta ... minica.JPG
The top image is an "internet map"
http://www.chrisharrison.net/projects/I ... index.html
aarf

#2057 Post by aarf »

i have lost, misplaced, disappeared the menu button in rc2 and now 3.5 in the bottom tray using flwm, comes back when switching to icewm but is still awol when returning to flwm. have dragged /root/Choices/ROX-Menu/Menu_Root/ to the tray and am using it to replace the menu button
also lost all icons on the right hand side of the bottom tray too.

only had two shutdown failures as before after configuring the desktop.
otherwise doing well.
installed flash for opera in its plugin folder.
hokal

#2058 Post by hokal »

901 with rc35

@Jemimah

there seem to be still basic (timing) problems with Puppeee and solid disks and/or sd cards (Not only runcore!)

I just booted from the Asus Phison sd (4GB) but neither could see it on the desktop nor access it with Gparted. It just disappeared but it is still listed under GP. This problem just appeared over night; it wasn't there yesterday. Also after rebooting, no boot drive on desktop. Now I found out, that if I take off my 16GB sd data card (without any puppy files!) at the side slot and boot again my boot drive is back on the desktop.
New situation: what I described above functioned a few times. Now my boot drive is gone, no matter whether side slot sd is inserted or not.
Last edited by hokal on Fri 28 May 2010, 14:17, edited 3 times in total.
dougeeebear

#2059 Post by dougeeebear »

prehistoric wrote:I have installed that impressive Internet wallpaper. Now, I need a clue about where best to change the color of the text under all those icons. Black disappears completely against a black background.
Right-click on any desktop icon, select Rox Filer -> Options -> Pinboard.
You should see a color chooser for the foreground color.
prehistoric

#2060 Post by prehistoric »

dougeeebear wrote:...Right-click on any desktop icon, select Rox Filer -> Options -> Pinboard.
You should see a color chooser for the foreground color.
Thanks! That did the trick. I got lost in menus before, forgetting the significant term for ROX was pinboard.

@Jemimah,

You are right that the Openbox menu option to restart X server is the culprit.

Now, I can't reproduce the problem with setting wallpaper under Openbox. I suspect this only took place during initial set up, before a save file was created. Another possible reason to encourage people to create a save file before they do much.

I'll check that this works on the 900A again when I'm over there tonight. My session with the wrong initrd.gz produced some confusion.