Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#2061 Post by jemimah »

Prehistoric, Can you test this 915resolution that Tempestuous patched for the GMA3150?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 303#422303

jemimah

#2062 Post by jemimah »

aarf wrote:i have lost, misplaced, disappeared the menu button in rc2 and now 3.5 in the bottom tray using flwm, comes back when switching to icewm but is still awol when returning to flwm. have dragged /root/Choices/ROX-Menu/Menu_Root/ to the tray and am using it to replace the menu button
also lost all icons on the right hand side of the bottom tray too.
The menu applets for RoxPanel are in /root/my-panel-applets; just drag them into a panel. You can also drag anything in /root/my-roxapps into the panel.

jemimah

#2063 Post by jemimah »

hokal wrote:901 with rc35

@Jemimah

there seem to be still basic (timing) problems with Puppeee and solid disks and/or sd cards (Not only runcore!)

I just booted from the Asus Phison sd (4GB) but neither could see it on the desktop nor access it with Gparted. It just disappeared but it is still listed under GP. This problem just appeared over night; it wasn't there yesterday. Also after rebooting, no boot drive on desktop. Now I found out, that if I take off my 16GB sd data card (without any puppy files!) at the side slot and boot again my boot drive is back on the desktop.
New situation: what I described above functioned a few times. Now my boot drive is gone, no matter whether side slot sd is inserted or not.
I think this happens when the SSD is slower to respond during boot than the usb drives. When the drive names change, puppy gets confused, or something like that. I can try to modify snapmergepuppy so that information doesn't get saved.

prehistoric

GMA 3150

#2064 Post by prehistoric »

jemimah wrote:Prehistoric, Can you test this 915resolution that Tempestuous patched for the GMA3150?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 303#422303
I'll test that pet in the next 24 hours, if my friend is in.

I found the problem that messed up the wallpaper, and a great deal more. On that 900A we still have the minor detail of getting the drive order backwards from other machines. I tried to save to the wrong drive.

JM1717

rc3.5 install script

#2065 Post by JM1717 »

Jemimah: FYI----Had rc1 running on 900HA and decided to check out rc3.5. Ran into issue of getting "not a bootable drive", when using puppy 4.3.1 on desktop system to run install script on sd card. The install script appeared to go through the motions without an error message. Just for curiosity's sake, I booted up Windoze XP on the 900HA and put sd card in and ran the windows install script, then it booted ok. Wonder if that's related to what 01micko was mentioning recently about installing from mandriva....

akhila

glitches in PCManFM

#2066 Post by akhila »

[quote="jemimah"][quote="hokal"]901 with rc35

@Jemimah

first of all I really appreciate you effort in creation of this wonderful pupplet.

I found some bugs in PCManFM desktop

I have eeePC 100HE frugal install

1 I can't install pet files, (i have to switch to ROX filler for that)
2 No file associations.

prehistoric

testing 915 resolution pet

#2067 Post by prehistoric »

@Jemimah,

There will be a delay in my testing of that pet. My friend was at home last night, but the test machine was not. He left it behind when he made a visit prompted by a medical emergency.

The machine is expected to return in a few days. I installed RC3.5+915 pet to an SD card, and set up the system with Xvesa for him. We'll hear more when he gets the machine back to test this.

jemimah

Re: glitches in PCManFM

#2068 Post by jemimah »

akhila wrote:
jemimah wrote:
hokal wrote:901 with rc35

@Jemimah

first of all I really appreciate you effort in creation of this wonderful pupplet.

I found some bugs in PCManFM desktop

I have eeePC 100HE frugal install

1 I can't install pet files, (i have to switch to ROX filler for that)
2 No file associations.
Yes at the moment the mimes need to be created manually. If anyone goes to the effort, send me your config file and I'll add it.

jakfish

#2069 Post by jakfish »

@sandungas

Thanks for your thorough explanation.

Jake

2lss

Re: glitches in PCManFM

#2070 Post by 2lss »

jemimah wrote:
akhila wrote:
jemimah wrote: Yes at the moment the mimes need to be created manually. If anyone goes to the effort, send me your config file and I'll add it.
I remember boxpuppeee seemed to have everything set up for pcmanfm. Would it be possible to steal the config from that?

jemimah

#2071 Post by jemimah »

Good idea 2lss, I'll check.

hokal

#2072 Post by hokal »

rc35 on 901

@jamimah
I think this happens when the SSD is slower to respond during boot than the usb drives. When the drive names change, puppy gets confused, or something like that. I can try to modify snapmergepuppy so that information doesn't get saved.
It looks to me as workaround, but is it a solution ??

Fluppy, Quirky and LUCID all work well with the sd cards, but do not have the fine advantages that Puppeee have. Fluppy is at this moment actually the most suitable system for the 901, although not all puppeee features are supported. But here the problem is that the "nonelantech-atom" vmlinuz does not work!

Question:
is it not possible to write an EEE-pet that just adds the specific eeepc features as ACPI control etc to systems as Quirky, LUCID or others ?? Of course the best would be to add just that little part (from Quirky) to puppeee that makes the 901 detecting sd cards in a correct way. Why is that so difficult?? I know it's a stupid question, because I'm not able to do it. :(

ken geometrics

#2073 Post by ken geometrics »

Question:
is it not possible to write an EEE-pet that just adds the specific eeepc features as ACPI control etc to systems as Quirky, LUCID or others ?? Of course the best would be to add just that little part (from Quirky) to puppeee that makes the 901 detecting sd cards in a correct way. Why is that so difficult?? I know it's a stupid question, because I'm not able to do it. :(
Perhaps even better would be to make a script that looks at the hardware of the eepc and makes a list of the pets needed for that machine. There are a lot of different machines under the same name with lots of different collections of hardware. I think making one big *.pet could end up too big.

jemimah

#2074 Post by jemimah »

Fluppy, Quirky and LUCID all work well with the sd cards, but do not have the fine advantages that Puppeee have.

Question:
Hmm, I didn't realize that was a Puppeee specific problem. My 701SD has a slow SSD, I will try to reproduce it and see if I can figure it out.

In the mean time try the attached sysinit script and see if your problem is fixed. Decompress it and put and overwrite the one in /etc/rc.d.

The scripts in Puppeee are extremely dependent on having the right kernel, and they assume the presence of Pwireless2. The Fluppy kernel should work, and there is a possibility the Lupu kernel would work. My intention was to try to create a package after Puppeee is released,
Attachments
rc.sysinit.gz
(7.73 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

magerlab

#2075 Post by magerlab »

jemimah, do you plan to update boxpupeee ?
i use it for a long time and really like

jemimah

#2076 Post by jemimah »

Yeah, I do want to do that. Another project for after the Puppeee release.

hokal

#2077 Post by hokal »

@jemimah

copied the file with the result: modprobe: FATAL: /sys is not mounted :cry:
What did I do wrong ??

jemimah

#2078 Post by jemimah »

If you get that error during shutdown just ignore it.

Does it still boot?

hokal

#2079 Post by hokal »

My 3sf file does not boot any more. I made a new USB boot stick, that still boots, but without showing ANY drive at the desktop.

After a completely NEW installation (on USB stick), I can confirm that puppeee will not boot anymore. Fatal: /sys is not mounted.
Last edited by hokal on Sun 30 May 2010, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.

jemimah

#2080 Post by jemimah »

hmm, ok I'll have to test it and get 01back to you. My 701SD is at my other apartment.