Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dam973

well this is annoying....

#2081 Post by dam973 »

I love this distribution could be amazing tho i have a couple of pbs!! I am not a linux expert so i would appreciate any answer.
Google chrome seems not to recognize flash . I have created a plugin folder in opt/ google/ chrome and putted all the mozilla plugins and it doesnt work
+ wbar doesnt work either so do airo dock , which is giving me its settings but wont display the bar
+ i had to install all the modules form the sfs myself to make my itnernet work but i would like to know which oens would be useful for a eeepc 1000H
Thanks for this anyway , seems great , just would like to solve these annoying details
jemimah

#2082 Post by jemimah »

Make sure you are using RC3.5. RC3 didn't have flash set up correctly.

I have no idea what you mean by installing modules by hand. Clearly, something is amiss here.
2lss

#2083 Post by 2lss »

magerlab wrote:jemimah, do you plan to update boxpupeee ?
i use it for a long time and really like
Jemimah, here is a suggestion. If you add wbar (and maybe leafpad) to puppeee you could have a "boxpupeee" type environment in one distro. Maybe this would save some headache and confusion from having two different eeepc pupplets.

Currently I'm using openbox + rox panel, no desktop, and wbar and it feels just like boxpupeee. I'm also using this wbar configuration utility http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 84&t=52381 It works pretty good.
jemimah

#2084 Post by jemimah »

I'm curious what you find compelling about wbar.

Is it just eye-candy or does it offer some kind of functional improvement?

It probably wouldn't be difficult to put a pet together.
2lss

#2085 Post by 2lss »

jemimah wrote:Is it just eye-candy or does it offer some kind of functional improvement?
Personally, I find navigating the menu with a trackpad to be cumbersome. I like having my frequently used program launchers on wbar for easy access. I could just add another panel or make desktop icons but that is where the eye candy comes into play..... :lol:

I also really like using avant window manager on ubuntu (intelihide feature is my favorite). Unfortunately it needs gnome and python so thats out of the picture for puppy. Wbar is the closest thing I found that resembles it.

Just my $0.02
jemimah wrote:It probably wouldn't be difficult to put a pet together.
Here is the one I use. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WbarInstall
edoc

#2086 Post by edoc »

Anyone successful running this on a ASUS Eee PC 1005PE-PU17
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603
edoc

#2087 Post by edoc »

Duplicate content deleted ...

The Forum double-posted ... I think either sure to another post being sent as mine was being sent or for some other reason.

Moderator/Admin please feel free to delete this one! :-)
Last edited by edoc on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
jemimah

#2088 Post by jemimah »

Xorg is too old for the graphics card, but the next version will work in Xvesa.
edoc

#2089 Post by edoc »

For some reason there is an "echo" on the Forum - it may because there was a new post just as I was posting mine, or something else.

As for the Netbook - when is the next version of Puppeee due, please?

There is a problem in Lucid 5.0 as well with support of some chipsets.

They were hoping to fix that in their next release - perhaps efforts are being combined?

What do I lose having to go with Vesa (which as I recall is really now a subset of XOrg)?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
jemimah

#2090 Post by jemimah »

I haven't started work on Puppeee 5 yet. It also depends on Ttuuxxx's timetable for Puppy 6 is and how much I get roped into that.

The major drawbacks of Xvesa:
Only basic touchpad support - no scrolling
No hardware Acceleration - Flash video will probably work but maybe not the best performance
No OpenGL support

At least several people prefer Xvesa because it is faster and lighter.
prehistoric

wbar motivations

#2091 Post by prehistoric »

Here's my own reason for using wbar with openbox. It gives me a quick way to launch a small number of programs I use all the time, and there is rapid visual feedback about what I'm doing. Instantaneous response is very important for keeping track of what I'm doing. I also notice elderly users have more trouble with time-dependent behavior than younger people. (Naturally, not considering myself elderly.)

Cascading menus can offer many more options, but these are tricky to navigate when either vision or pointing devices are a problem. The loop time for selecting a submenu, reading all the labels, moving to the right selection, and clicking, is a problem for some. The "eye candy" is actually more than I want; I just want to see what I've selected clearly indicated before clicking without requiring any extra operations on my part.
edoc

#2092 Post by edoc »

When do the Puppy folks believe we may overcome the xvesa limitation and have full xorg support for these chipsets?

Much as I like the features and price of the newer Netbooks I sure hate to be limited in my use of such a critical part of the hardware.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
jemimah

#2093 Post by jemimah »

I was told it works fine in Quirky.
jemimah

Re: wbar motivations

#2094 Post by jemimah »

prehistoric wrote:Here's my own reason for using wbar with openbox. It gives me a quick way to launch a small number of programs I use all the time, and there is rapid visual feedback about what I'm doing. Instantaneous response is very important for keeping track of what I'm doing. I also notice elderly users have more trouble with time-dependent behavior than younger people. (Naturally, not considering myself elderly.)

Cascading menus can offer many more options, but these are tricky to navigate when either vision or pointing devices are a problem. The loop time for selecting a submenu, reading all the labels, moving to the right selection, and clicking, is a problem for some. The "eye candy" is actually more than I want; I just want to see what I've selected clearly indicated before clicking without requiring any extra operations on my part.
I understand that menus suck. But how about Rover? You can access the entire menu, documents in your home directory, and all your contacts and bookmarks, all with only a few keystrokes. It's not as pretty as it could be, but it's fast and efficient. Also it's never covered by open applications - it doesn't take up any screen real estate.
prehistoric

Re: wbar motivations

#2095 Post by prehistoric »

jemimah wrote:...
I understand that menus suck. But how about Rover? You can access the entire menu, documents in your home directory, and all your contacts and bookmarks, all with only a few keystrokes. It's not as pretty as it could be, but it's fast and efficient. Also it's never covered by open applications - it doesn't take up any screen real estate.
My problem with losing context in memory is worse than losing context on the screen. For some reason, spatial/visual memory seems to hold up better in my case than any kind of symbolic memory. This is not to say I can't use such things, just that it seems like more effort. As always, your mileage may vary. That's why I don't propose this as a solution for everybody.

When I set up a system using XFCE for someone with the problems I've described, I typically put several pop-up menus at different locations on the panel with a button for the most likely choice in that category on the bar below. Keeping the locations for different activities spatially distinct, and keeping the number of choices on each menu small, seems to reduce confusion. Using the common application as a marker for a menu of related applications, helps people remember where to look for things.

For a young hacker, a set-up like fluxbox, with everything on menus, and the ability to tear off menus, works well. I've just noticed that this is especially confusing to certain people, and not all of them are old.
jakfish

#2096 Post by jakfish »

Although I use xvesa because it helps quicken a boot, I find that it doesn't play movies well at 630mhz, and xorg does not share that problem.

If I want to use the battery, and I always do, and want to watch movies, I will switch to xorg, which does not have xvesa's choppiness.

Jake
jemimah

#2097 Post by jemimah »

aarf

#2098 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:RC4 has been posted.

http://puppeee.com/web/blog/puppeee-rc-4-posted/
jemimah, the wonderful world of xdelta awaits you :wink:

edit: does xdelta work with zip?
perhaps if i rename them to iso and do the difference it will work. will try/mess when the zip is downloaded.

xdelta outputs a delta file with zip inputs but the difference file is huge 59mb (before my disk was filled, so maybe more) not at all in comparison to the modification upgrades?

puppeee needs to have the latest xdelta upgrade as the one in 3.5 outputs ( : ) files instead of FAT friendly ( __ ) files
TomRhymer

RC 4

#2099 Post by TomRhymer »

Ran RC4 on my Aspire One, booting from flash.

Looks good, everything works okay, I like that pcman has most file associations now.

Puppeee has picked up a new bad habit from Fluppy, though. I'm getting the same problem with the save file causing a boot error that I got with Fluppy. I haven't had this happen with earlier versions of Puppeee.

I think I'm going bonkers testing all the new Puppies. Four per day is really over the limit.
jemimah

#2100 Post by jemimah »

Tom, you said you were testing on 512MB drives? And you're not moving or deleting any of the Puppeee files? What size save file are you creating?

I haven't changed the installer recently.