Oracle OpenBox and puppy 5.0.1 problems

Using applications, configuring, problems
haitek

Oracle OpenBox and puppy 5.0.1 problems

#1 Post by haitek »

Hi there, I'm a newbie and having a few difficulties.
I have downloaded the .sfs file for puppy 5.0.1 which is the puppy I'm trying to configure for Oracle OpenBox as a VM. I have followed the instructions on the hard puppy page, i.e

2. Click on the devx_xxx.sfs in a ROX-Filer window to mount it.
3. Open a terminal in the mounted directory.
6. # cp -a --remove-destination ./* /mnt/hda2/
7. # sync
8. Close the terminal.
9. Click on the devx_xxx.sfs file to unmount it

when I go to install the OpenBox additions I get the following error:

(Your system does not seem to be set up to build kernel modules.

What am I doing wrong, Am I missing something? Is there something else I need to do.

The second problem I'm having is that the mouse cursor won't go to the edges of the screen. I was hoping the OpenBox additions would fix this but I'm really not sure of what I'm doing
Thanks.
jamesbond

#2 Post by jamesbond »

You mean VirtualBox, right? (I googled Oracle OpenBox and it brought me straight to this forum thread :D ). Also, when you say 5.0.1, you mean Lucid Puppy (Lupu) 5.0.1, right?
In addition to devx, you also need kernel sources. If I'm not wrong, Lupu uses Barry's kernel. The kernel sources for Barry's kernels are in http://bkhome.org/sources
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]
haitek

Kernel sources

#3 Post by haitek »

Hey there jamesbond!
Yes I'm using Lucid puppy 5.0.1 (Lupu) in Virtualbox, the Oracle version (latest build)
When I went to the link you provided for the kernel sources, it asked for a username and password.
Would you happen to know them?
Thanks
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

Username: puppy
Password: linux
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
haitek

compiling kernel modules

#5 Post by haitek »

Hi again,
I've downloaded kernel_src-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs which corresponds to the kernel version I'm using and it resides in /mnt/home,
Do I need to do anything else with it? I still can't compile kernel modules or pick it up in the Boot Manager configure bootup utility, i.e

Sorry, there are no SFS files in directory /mnt/home
(or they all have the wrong '*_nnn.sfs' version number)
You will need to download and place one there first.

The error I get when trying to install the Guest additions is:

Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules ...fail!
(Your system does not seem to be set up to build kernel modules.

Thank you all for your input and patience :roll:
npierce

#6 Post by npierce »

A couple of observations:

In your first post you used the method described at the bottom of http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm for copying an SFS file to a full hard-drive installation.

In your last post you used the method for using an SFS file with a frugal installation.

What kind of installation do you actually have?

I do not understand why the instructions at the hard-Puppy page suggest copying the files to /mnt/hda2/. At first I thought that was just an example, and would depend upon where the drive was mounted. But with a full hard-drive installation, wouldn't it always be mounted at / ? (I suppose that if you wanted to copy the files to another Puppy installation on your hard-drive, not the one you were using, you would do it that way, but that would be an unusual case.)

I am unfamiliar with installing SFS files. So, can anyone tell me, am I missing something, or was that simply a typo in the hard-Puppy instructions?

Anyway, haitek, did you copy to / or to /mnt/hda2/ ?
haitek

compiling kernel modules

#7 Post by haitek »

Thanks for your reply npierce.
I have a full installation, the .sfs files reside in / and /mnt/home apparently, perhaps this is the same place. I created a directory and copied them to /mnt/hda2 then went through the instructions for a permanent install which seems to have worked, there was a lot of disk activity.
What do I do with the kernel_src-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs? How can I tell if the lupu_devx_501.sfs pack is installed correctly?
Thanks
npierce

#8 Post by npierce »

haitek wrote:What do I do with the kernel_src-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs?
Since you have a full installation, I believe that the files in the kernel source SFS will need to be copied to the appropriate places on your hard drive, rather than installed using the Boot Manager, which I believe is for frugal installations. Unfortunately, I cannot advise you on the proper way to do that since I've never made a full installation and don't understand the instructions for using an SFS with a full installation.

So, as I'm sure you know, you first need to do what you suggested in your second question.
haitek wrote:How can I tell if the lupu_devx_501.sfs pack is installed correctly?
If it was installed correctly, you should now have (among lots of other things) the make utility and the gcc compiler. Entering the following commands should tell you where they were installed:

Code: Select all

which make
which gcc
If you get no response from either command then the SFS wasn't installed correctly. (If you do get a response, that doesn't necessarily mean that everything on the SFS was installed correctly, but there is a good chance that it was.)

If it was not installed correctly, it might be helpful for you to post the output of this command:

Code: Select all

df
James C

#9 Post by James C »

How to use the devx with a full install is located here.............about the middle of the page...........

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm

HTH.
haitek

Problem resolved

#10 Post by haitek »

Hey y'all,
my problem has now been resolved. Thank you all for your help and patience.
npierce

#11 Post by npierce »

You're welcome. Happy we could help, and glad that you got things working. If you would care to give any advice to help smooth the trail for those who might, some day, follow in your foot-steps, please don't hesitate to do so.
haitek

Puppy 5.0.1 in a VM

#12 Post by haitek »

I must confess, I didn't get the desired results in Oracle VirtualBox. It only recognized 1 cpu core and was painfully slow. I've now got lupu running in VMware workstation which recognizes both cores and runs superbly. Such an elegant operating system and oh! so friendly. Great work team, many thanks, thoroughly enjoyable.