Quirky 1.2 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
rjbrewer

#141 Post by rjbrewer »

Billtoo wrote:[quote=

What version of vlc are you running?
Where can I find that early Quirky "surfin doggy"?

rjb
I'm running vlc version 1.0.6, I compiled it in Quirky 1.2.

I gave woof a try the other day and built a Quirky 1.2, I removed many apps (for no particular reason other than to see how small the iso would be, 91mb) and the "surfin doggy" was on of the choices for wallpaper in woof. I added my htop and vlc pets (vlc not ready for primetime because it segfaults when you exit it and I have no idea what causes that but I use it anyways :) )[/quote]

edit: quote thingy acting weird.

Thanks for the background image.
Strange thing:
Jemimah apparently based Fluppy on Quirky; but I can use the 4.xx
media player pets on Fluppy, but not on Quirky or Wary.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

panzerpuppy

#142 Post by panzerpuppy »

Sage wrote:Athlon II (Phenom II) and Puppy - wrong OS, wrong cpu.

Compact, lightweight, fast liveCD OS es are, or should be, designed to run on a Cx300, for example.

99.999^.% of the world's PC users don't have and don't want the latest go-faster stripes complete with bragging rights. It would help humanity if folks refuse to tread the wholly misguided WIntel trail.
We are not impressed.
Just try to play a full HD (1080p) full-screen YouTube WEBM or Flash video in your browser on that Cx300 and see what will happen.

You *really* need that kind of power (a monster PC) to enjoy fullHD video in your browser if you use only open source videocard drivers.

Under Windows you can get away with a much less powerful machine + cheap onboard graphics with proprietary drivers. But Windows is not open, free or open source.

Athlon II CPUs are perfect for a Linux box - dirt cheap and powerful (you get a lot of power for the price) :)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Wed 23 Jun 2010, 00:43, edited 2 times in total.
Turbopup Tech Support

Firewave

#143 Post by Firewave »

I am trying to get the pSX emulator (http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/) to work. I got past the missing libgl.so by installing mesa, but now I am missing libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0. I tried installing gtk+ fromm puppy-4 repository, but that didn't help and removing it again killed my desktop (everything was black but the taskbar and the context menu).

BTW how do I copy/paste from the console? Middle button with copy and paste the stuff I marked, but I was never able to get anything from or in the console.

Timmi

HD/SDD installer, battery monitor, browser

#144 Post by Timmi »

Thanks soooo much for the SNS! This was needed for such a long time and it connects great!

A couple of points:
1. the installer doesn't seem to be able to create a workable install when installing to hard disk (I've installed pupy onto that machine several times before, so I think I'm doing it right). After installation, after a reboot, I just get greeted with "missing operating system".
2. eeePC 900SD: battery state doesn't get reported correctly - with full charge it shows near empty, whether plugged in or not.
3. Seamonkey doesn't show some sites (like gmx.com), and the packageinstaller/uninstaller doesn't recognize that it's already installed - it only offers the option to add it, but it's already there. I'd replace it with Firefox or Chromium (60% of users use webmail now in stead of local mail programs).

So I'm wondering... am I doing something wrong, or was the installer just overlooked in testing?

Oh, and the installer incorrectly identifies an ext3 partition as ext4. Even if I delete and recreate ext3 with gparted, the installer insists it sees a ext4.
Last edited by Timmi on Tue 22 Jun 2010, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Timmi

#145 Post by Timmi »

ooops (delete)

panzerpuppy

#146 Post by panzerpuppy »

Firewave wrote:I am trying to get the pSX emulator (http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/) to work. I got past the missing libgl.so by installing mesa, but now I am missing libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0. I tried installing gtk+ fromm puppy-4 repository, but that didn't help and removing it again killed my desktop (everything was black but the taskbar and the context menu).
Do yourself a favor and dump that emulator - it's a piece of junk. Plagued with too many issues: controller/input bugs, sound crackling, timing/sync problems and other nasties. The only thing it does better than the other emulators is correct emulation of the PS logo and the AudioCD player.

Use ePSXe instead with the Software GPU plugin for an authentic PS1 experience. You can find it in the Puppy Arcade thread.
Turbopup Tech Support

Sage

#147 Post by Sage »

Just try to play a full HD (1080p) full-screen YouTube WEBM or Flash video in your browser on that Cx300 and see what will happen.
Completely and utterly missed the point. Ever considered a subscription to RedHat?! Or just not follow the lemmings at all?!

abushcrafter

Bug

#148 Post by abushcrafter »

Mplayer can't play vob. I used a vob from a ripped DVD which was ripped with Pdvdrsab.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

npierce

#149 Post by npierce »

Firewave wrote:BTW how do I copy/paste from the console? Middle button with copy and paste the stuff I marked, but I was never able to get anything from or in the console.
If by "console" you mean the text console (ctrl+alt+F1) I have no answer. If you mean the rxvt or urxvt terminal window that you get by clicking the console icon on the desktop, you use the same method that you used to copy text within that window or to that window: copy with the left pointer button; paste with the middle pointer button.

Note that the text is not in the buffer used by ctrl+v and the Paste entry for the right-click menu, so those methods will not work. Note also that the text is pasted at the pointer cursor, not the text cursor (as is the case for ctrl+v).

Different applications may behave differently. The above is true for geany and seamonkey.

Firewave

#150 Post by Firewave »

npierce wrote:If you mean the rxvt or urxvt terminal window that you get by clicking the console icon on the desktop, you use the same method that you used to copy text within that window or to that window: copy with the left pointer button; paste with the middle pointer button.

Note that the text is not in the buffer used by ctrl+v and the Paste entry for the right-click menu, so those methods will not work.
Ah, thanks. That's exactly the information that I needed.

Something different. The mouse-over text of the clock shows me GMT-1 although the system is configured as GMT+1.

And I discovered a front-end for mplayer, that works way better than the one coming with quirky - smplayer. I found a .pet in the forum and beside broken seeking with DVDs and the occasional ignoring of input keys. Just needed to install qt to get it working.

npierce

#151 Post by npierce »

You're welcome. I'm glad the information was helpful.

As for your timezone: you don't want to go there. :)

The best thing for all of us to do is to choose a time zone that better describes the place where we live, such as "Europe/London". That way things like summer time are handled automatically, and you avoid those nasty POSIX GMT designations from rearing their ugly heads.

(If you really want to know more, see Barry's post here.)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#152 Post by Béèm »

npierce wrote:
Firewave wrote:BTW how do I copy/paste from the console? Middle button with copy and paste the stuff I marked, but I was never able to get anything from or in the console.
If by "console" you mean the text console (ctrl+alt+F1) I have no answer. If you mean the rxvt or urxvt terminal window that you get by clicking the console icon on the desktop, you use the same method that you used to copy text within that window or to that window: copy with the left pointer button; paste with the middle pointer button.

Note that the text is not in the buffer used by ctrl+v and the Paste entry for the right-click menu, so those methods will not work. Note also that the text is pasted at the pointer cursor, not the text cursor (as is the case for ctrl+v).

Different applications may behave differently. The above is true for geany and seamonkey.
A word of caution (at least in my case with lucid 203)
When doing alt+ctrl+F1 I found myself in a kinda X-prompt window.
No commands typed were executed.
The only safe way to get out of this was ctrl+alt+delete and the PC did reboot safely.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

npierce

#153 Post by npierce »

Béèm wrote:A word of caution (at least in my case with lucid 203)
When doing alt+ctrl+F1 I found myself in a kinda X-prompt window.
No commands typed were executed.
Good point.

I should have chosen a better example of a text console in the Puppy world. In Puppy, virtual console 1 (ctrl+alt+F1) is normally waiting for the xwin script to complete, so it will ignore anything you type there. I don't know how Lucid Puppy sets up its virtual consoles, but in Puppy 4.3.1 virtual console 2 (ctrl+alt+F2) and virtual console 3 (ctrl+alt+F3) allow you to log-in. Virtual console 4 is running X, so pressing ctrl+alt+F4 will get me back to the X desktop. I don't know about Lucid Puppy.

I hope you didn't loose any work when you unexpectedly had to reboot, and I apologize if you did.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#154 Post by Béèm »

npierce wrote:
Béèm wrote:I hope you didn't loose any work when you unexpectedly had to reboot, and I apologize if you did.
Don't worry. As I said, it was a safe reboot.
So no loss of whatever.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Firewave

#155 Post by Firewave »

.ogm files are not associated with the mediaplayer, although they are playing fine.

npierce

#156 Post by npierce »

DaveS wrote:Using Universal Installer, makes no difference how I format the target drive, ext2/3, it always identifies it as ext4 . . .
Timmi wrote:Oh, and the installer incorrectly identifies an ext3 partition as ext4. Even if I delete and recreate ext3 with gparted, the installer insists it sees a ext4.
Puppy 4.3.1 used a patched version of disktype-9. disktype-9 by itself also had the bug which misidentified ext2/ext3 partitions, but with the patch it worked correctly.

Quirky used a newer version of disktype, disktype-10, but (as we can see) it still had the bug.

In the latest Woof, Barry has reverted to the former version with the patch that worked, so this bug should be gone in future Puppies/Quirkies. He also reported the bug to the disktype developers so maybe, we hope, disktype-11 will work correctly whenever it is released.

For more details, see Barry's blog: Disktype fixed

The patched version that works can be found here: disktype-9-patched_pardus_bk.pet

DaveS

#157 Post by DaveS »

How can we get Abiword to display /usr/share/examples/text/testdoc.doc properly?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Firewave

#158 Post by Firewave »

When I open a console from the dektop (using the 'console' icon) I get a urxvt, when I use the "Window->Terminal Here" from the context menu in rox I get a rxvt. Is there correct? What's the difference between those?

rcrsn51

#159 Post by rcrsn51 »

Firewave wrote:When I open a console from the dektop (using the 'console' icon) I get a urxvt, when I use the "Window->Terminal Here" from the context menu in rox I get a rxvt. Is there correct? What's the difference between those?
If you go to /usr/bin, you will see that rxvt is a symlink to urxvt. So they both run the same program.

ttuuxxx

#160 Post by ttuuxxx »

DaveS wrote:How can we get Abiword to display /usr/share/examples/text/testdoc.doc properly?
you need to update abiword, wv was broken and Barry used a early version that wasn't broken in his latest, below you'll need both pets installed.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 6-s131.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-s131.pet
I think that was all I changed for abiword in the Quirky retro firefox version I was somewhat supporting.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)