Is there a repository of free & fully functional AntiVirus?

Booting, installing, newbie
GuyKL

#41 Post by GuyKL »

wdm wrote:Hi GuyKL,

Avast for linux will work on puppy. You can do a forum search on avast for more info. There is a .pet package available and it can also be installed by downloading form the avast website and extracting the files into a folder. There is a fix that has to be added to the rc.local file to get updates to work. That is not just for puppy though, I had to apply the fix to my PCLinuxOS installation also. I think it applies most distros.

I have not used clamav in several years now so can't help you with that. I use avast to scan my windows partitions. I think most if not all antivirus apps for linux are on demand only and only look for windows viruses. So if you don't have windows partitiions or run wine as sir jasper pointed out you may not need it.
Hi wdm,

Thanks for the info. It is as simple as installing AV on Windows or it is for advance user? Noob here. :)
GuyKL

#42 Post by GuyKL »

RetroTechGuy wrote:With the AV rcrsn51 suggested, you don't actually need to install - it's a live-boot CD (has its own OS on the disk).

Also, Puppy comes with F-Prot, but you need to go through an update process.

I haven't been thrilled with any of the recent AV programs -- on Windows systems they have become so large and bloated, that they bring even a fast machine right to its knees.

In Linux you don't (in general) need a virus program -- other than to scan your Windows partitions.
Hi RetroTechGuy,

I can't seem to find the F-Prot in my Puppy 5.0.1 even in its repository. The only one that I can find is ClamAV but it is a command line based which is hard for a noob like me. Any idea where can I find the F-Prot? Is it a GUI based?
RetroTechGuy

#43 Post by RetroTechGuy »

GuyKL wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:With the AV rcrsn51 suggested, you don't actually need to install - it's a live-boot CD (has its own OS on the disk).

Also, Puppy comes with F-Prot, but you need to go through an update process.

I haven't been thrilled with any of the recent AV programs -- on Windows systems they have become so large and bloated, that they bring even a fast machine right to its knees.

In Linux you don't (in general) need a virus program -- other than to scan your Windows partitions.
Hi RetroTechGuy,

I can't seem to find the F-Prot in my Puppy 5.0.1 even in its repository. The only one that I can find is ClamAV but it is a command line based which is hard for a noob like me. Any idea where can I find the F-Prot? Is it a GUI based?
Update -- a link to XFprot2.4.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... f3606526f3

BTW, a good way to find tools is:

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

In general, a .pet should work in the current Puppy versions (but make a backup copy of your pupsave, just in case)
Last edited by RetroTechGuy on Thu 24 Jun 2010, 19:38, edited 2 times in total.
linuxsansdisquedur

#44 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

it will wear out and fail...
just need backup and save data on multiple storage 8)
but you 're right the thing i am sure is one day I gonna be dead :?
le max avec le min
RetroTechGuy

#45 Post by RetroTechGuy »

linuxsansdisquedur wrote:
it will wear out and fail...
just need backup and save data on multiple storage 8)
Exactly. The chance of 2 devices failing at exactly the same time is quite small (e.g. house fire...)
GuyKL

#46 Post by GuyKL »

RetroTechGuy wrote:Update -- a link to XFprot2.4.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... f3606526f3

BTW, a good way to find tools is:

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

In general, a .pet should work in the current Puppy versions (but make a backup copy of your pupsave, just in case)
You mean it is available in the list like the Ubuntu? Can I install it just like in windows by double click?
rjbrewer

#47 Post by rjbrewer »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
None of the .pets I've tried that were made for the 4.xx and earlier
versions worked with the current versions. (With the exception of
Jemimah's Fluppy)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#48 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
I just downloaded and installed the above Pet to Puppy 431 Retro (2.6.25.16 kernel) and when I click on it I get this error "F-prot binary not found":
Attachments
xf-prot-error.jpg
(27.7 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Steve
RetroTechGuy

#49 Post by RetroTechGuy »

rjbrewer wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
None of the .pets I've tried that were made for the 4.xx and earlier
versions worked with the current versions. (With the exception of
Jemimah's Fluppy)
Well, crapola!...

I'm still using 4.3.1, and have had good luck with it.

I haven't migrated (nor even had time to test) 5.x...
RetroTechGuy

#50 Post by RetroTechGuy »

looseSCREWorTWO wrote:RetroTechGuy wrote:
I just downloaded and installed the above Pet to Puppy 431 Retro (2.6.25.16 kernel) and when I click on it I get this error "F-prot binary not found":
Well, REALLY CRAPOLA!... Sorry to direct you to a broken code...

I haven't tried F-prot recently (been using Clam).

I'll try to take a poke at the package and see if I can identify what is going on (not my .pet, but perhaps I can figure out how to patch the install).
wdm

#51 Post by wdm »

Hi GuyKL
Hi wdm,

Thanks for the info. It is as simple as installing AV on Windows or it is for advance user? Noob here. Smile
If you can find a .pet package for the app you want to use then it is simple. You download the (package).pet file to your computer and just click on it to install. The problem may be which version of puppy you are using. The avast pet here worked for me in puppy 4.2.

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showpost.php? ... stcount=80

username=puppy
password=linux

You will then need to open /etc/rc.d/rc.local and type or paste in this line:

echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Save the file and reboot for it to take effect.

You will also neet to register with avast for a license key to insert the first time you run the program. If you have a key for the windows version it will also work for the linux version.

I use to use xf-prot but after they ugraded thier version awhile back I have never been able to get it to run. That is why I switched to avast. If you can get it to work it is just as good.

Also do not expect the linux version of either of these to work like the windows versions. They will scan on demand and do not run in background like windows
GuyKL

#52 Post by GuyKL »

wdm wrote:Also do not expect the linux version of either of these to work like the windows versions. They will scan on demand and do not run in background like windows
Hi wdm. Thanks for the reply. Is that mean none of linux AV working actively in the background?
looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#53 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

GuyKL asked,
that mean none of linux AV working actively in the background?
unfortunately bro, that is the case.

@RetroTechGuy,
don't worry, I've got Avast Antivirus working. Not that I think I need it (I haven't seen a Virus or Trojan in the last 7 months surfing the Web with Puppy) but I'm hoping it's enough to keep the Internet Stasi in Australia happy. there are moves here to deny Internet access to anyone without Antivirus. that's the only reason I want/need Antivirus.

i downloaded the same Avast Pet file as wbm (see 2 Post up from this one) via a link provided by Sylvander on his PC Guide page. I followed basically the same method as described by wbm & Sylvander, except the first thing I did was to delete the folder /usr/local/xf-prot and all of it's contents, just to remove the possibility of a clash between the two types of Antivirus - Avast and xf-prot.

Avast is GUI-based, updates OK and runs OK on Puppy 431 Retro.
Steve
postfs1

#54 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
GuyKL

#55 Post by GuyKL »

postfs1 wrote:
looseSCREWorTWO wrote:GuyKL asked,
that mean none of linux AV working actively in the background?
unfortunately bro, that is the case.
I don't know how this works: "SQUID plus ICAP plus ClamAV" - but maybe this sheaf is good.
Sounds good. Can it be easily installed by a noob?