Determining support for hardware within a distro/version

Booting, installing, newbie
jhsu

Determining support for hardware within a distro/version

#1 Post by jhsu »

How do you determine if a certain item of hardware (such as a wireless card, scanner, printer, etc.) is supported by a certain version of a certain distro? So far, I've been relying on trial-and-error, but I know there has to be a better way.

As I understand, a certain item is supported in a particular OS if the driver for it is included. Is there a list somewhere showing various items of hardware and their associated drivers?

Once I find out what driver is needed to support a particular item, how do I find out which versions of which distros have the driver? How do I find out which Linux kernels have the driver? How do I find out if a Debian/Ubuntu/other distro's package has the driver?

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

If I'm setting up a computer, I generally plan to install Linux on the hard drive in the conventional way.

The first steps are mainly satisfying myself that the hardware is sound.

Linux generally has good fundamental hardware support.

I want a good distro that is friendly with the all the hardware. I avoid many major distros including all the *buntus. Not for hardware reasons, other reasons.

A distribution's Live CD is often a very good 'quick' check to see how an install will likely take to the hardware.

An install takes longer, with the basic install lasting maybe up to 30 minutes.

If it didn't take well and you don't want to tinker with it the next distro will take about another 30 minutes to install.

This is a rough sketch of what I'm willing to go through to find a good match.

Usually my first choices work, but that's because I know some distros which have high probability of just working.

There may very well be better ways and I just haven't discovered them.