Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
8-bit

#601 Post by 8-bit »

Thank you 01mico!
I got the same login window when I clicked on download on one of the background pictures.
That sets my mind at ease now that I know what was going on.
BTW, Playdayz did a good job getting luci-209 out and it now works with the Nvidia driver in Quickpet.
I will have try it on my Toshiba laptop with it's ATI graphics card and the ATI driver.
Also, the auto-setup-connect of my network card worked fine. (hardwired DSL)
But I know it will not work with my laptop as I have to use ndiswrapper and a win2000 driver for it to work.
Such is life.
charbaby66

trying Luci-209 next...

#602 Post by charbaby66 »

hard to keep up with you, but keep bringing on the new versions to test!

total noob me -like many others- but a bit of feedback tried luci204-208 so far
looking for a Puppy to replace my dead fav computer *sob sniffle* which was all XP and my 160GB Sata drive will need to wait til I get a new board that supports it ..anyways

now on an old AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 768MB ram
Nvidia GEForce 5200 128mb video
20GB drive 10GB/ext2 10GB/fat32
Wireless Linksys WUSB54GC
running from RAM

re: Xorg video drivers nv vs nouveau vs nvidia pets

nv- runs fine -no acceleration
unlike playdayz, my 5200 does not like nouveau -defaults to 14??x1280? res. even with "fail safe" settings of 800x600 16 confirmed written to xorg.conf, hangs on black screen cannot start x etc.

nosetmode command made no difference for me.

included Nvidia pets do not work, but the puppy 5 Nvidia 173.14,25.pet works like a dream!!! full acceleration -makes me happy - will continue with it, unless am I doing something wrong if the Lucid Nvidia pets aren't working?

Wireless rt73 driver now working "out of the box" and settings remembered next boot using SNS , but still will occasionally not wake on resume? eg; after my screen has blanked, but now -I can rerun SNS, and when it takes down the adapter it will be able to scan and find the network

--before it would not even find my network again after a reboot , whether running from RAM or save file and changing to the other Network setup had a 50-50 chance of seeing it as well! kept trying everything til it worked again Drove me nuts! thanks for fixing it :)

I also have an old Toshiba Satellite 490CDT laptop 64MB ram 4GB drive
S3Virge 2MB I am attempting to Puppify. I have had one of the luci versions running on it, (with swap drive (and save file)it will run!! (faster)!)) but think I need to go back a version, [was trying 4.31 too but having issues with running from USB stick as wakepup floppy keeps hanging loading ASPI driver}

will see what luci-209 brings

thanks for all the hard work you Puppy people - you amaze me! I am off to learn and try some more new tricks. Will let you know how it goes!!
gjuhasz

Re: Arte There Artists?

#603 Post by gjuhasz »

playdayz wrote: We have time to look at some alternative theme, icon, and background schemes if there are people around who have some ideas.
I attached a few background imagelets either for "tile" or "strech" usage.
For those who do not promptly recognize the origin of some of them, I attach the source, for fun, in zipped format. :wink:
Attachments
pup33.zip
For those who do not recognize the origin...
(355 Bytes) Downloaded 298 times
pup11.png
(218 Bytes) Downloaded 1861 times
pup8.png
(171 Bytes) Downloaded 1839 times
gold.png
(566 Bytes) Downloaded 1835 times
blue1.jpg
(577 Bytes) Downloaded 1826 times
blue.png
(569 Bytes) Downloaded 1847 times
playdayz

#604 Post by playdayz »

nv- runs fine -no acceleration
unlike playdayz, my 5200 does not like nouveau -defaults to 14??x1280? res. even with "fail safe" settings of 800x600 16 confirmed written to xorg.conf, hangs on black screen cannot start x etc.

nosetmode command made no difference for me.

included Nvidia pets do not work, but the puppy 5 Nvidia 173.14,25.pet works like a dream!!! full acceleration -makes me happy - will continue with it, unless am I doing something wrong if the Lucid Nvidia pets aren't working?
Charbaby66, Thanks for the info. Sorting out what nivida likes what is complicated, to say the least, but if it works, hallelujah! We will know to recommend that nvidia pet if people have trouble with the others. Wouldn't it be great to find a one-size-fits-all solution?
playdayz

#605 Post by playdayz »

Bibletime 2.7.1 is now in the puppy-lucid repo in PPM. jim1911 did the grunt work to get it working.

Here is the direct link
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

I also added Emacs23 by request, a super text editor

I also added Jokosher which was publicized by Ubuntu--it looks like a way to build music, with midi and audio tracks--very simple and easy.

I also added Sox by request--a command line audio toolkit
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Xorg-high on radeon not working. Missing Xlib: extension GLX

#606 Post by Béèm »

Xorg-high on radeon not working. Missing Xlib: extension GLX

Finally I found the time to test in 209, as advised by playdayz.

I downloaded the Xorg_high 1.1 pet outside the save file, as this makes a gain of 14MB
I always start a new installation with a 32MB save file and like to keep it as low as possible.

So I installed the pet and got 14MB left in the save file.
But I still had the same error in xerrs.log and for sure glxgears didn't run.

Suspecting that the save file wasn't big enough I raised by 16MB
Still the same issue with a save file still showing 14MB free, until I had a save file of 80MB.

At that moment I didn't have 14MB free but 26MB free and glxgears did run.

I conclude that the install of the pet should have detected that not enough space was available to install and run correctly afterwards.
In previous released, I didn't push the test to this extend, so it could be that glxgears would have run correctly already if I had done the same extended test.

The question I have now tho, is this increase of 48MB of save file worth it.
Will f.e. run flashplayer better?
If not what other programs will run better?
Well I know one already, which is google earth for lucid, as far as I understand.

So it was a nice experiment and hope it contributes a bit to the lucid experience.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
playdayz

#607 Post by playdayz »

Suspecting that the save file wasn't big enough I raised by 16MB
Still the same issue with a save file still showing 14MB free, until I had a save file of 80MB.

At that moment I didn't have 14MB free but 26MB free and glxgears did run.
I conclude that the install of the pet should have detected that not enough space was available to install and run correctly afterwards.
In previous released, I didn't push the test to this extend, so it could be that glxgears would have run correctly already if I had done the same extended test.

The question I have now tho, is this increase of 48MB of save file worth it.
Will f.e. run flashplayer better?
If not what other programs will run better?
Well I know one already, which is google earth for lucid, as far as I understand.

So it was a nice experiment and hope it contributes a bit to the lucid experience.
Great Béèm, you found it. I knew that had happened to me, but I could not remember when or how. We will be ready now if someone else encounters that.

Xorg_High (glxgears) is necessary to run Google Earth and Stellarium, those are two off the top of my head. Some people say that the desktop feels more responsive with the glx graphics. I personally use them all of the time--I believe that things are more stable that way--because I think most testing is done with glx graphics enabled--not necessarily Puppy testing, but general testing of programs--I can't prove that though. There is actually only one of the libraries in /usr/lib/dri that you need--if you determine that one by looking at Hardinfo Display and scroll down to the bottom, or from /var/log/Xorg.0.log, then you could delete the others and save some space.

Thanks.
playdayz

#608 Post by playdayz »

Behind the scenes update.

01micko has been busy behind the scenes--as well as in front of the cameras ;-) He has found a way to save some space with ffmpeg and the video codecs which should also give better performance (by compiling our own versions of those files). So we made the switch to mplayer in order to get better and more reliable multimedia playback, and we end up saving 3MB on the size of the iso--Lupu-501 was 129 MB and luci-210, so far, is 126MB.

Lucid Puppy 5.1 will not only be better, it will be smaller too!
Eyes-Only

#609 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thank you Mick for posting the "artwork" here. :oops: It's very much appreciated mate!

My apologies to everyone else that what I've made caused a wee bit of concern. Thanks to all for your very kind understanding! You're ALL a wonderful group of folks and should be reminded of this fact more often than you are, believe me!

Thank you and I hope in some small way you can enjoy the files.

Cheers!/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*
01micko

#610 Post by 01micko »

Icons

dejan555 has his puppy.b0x site full of "awesomeness" for Puppy

http://puppy.b0x.me/desktop-iconsets

That's a direct link to icons sets ready to install in Puppy

Cheers

PS: other cool stuff there too
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
gur

#611 Post by gur »

Hi all

I'm on luci209. looks great. I've installed Xorg high on my new comp (Athlon X2 w/ integrated video card Radeon 2100). Works OK, though I haven't noticed any significant difference.

The major problem for me is that there are squares instead of hebrew chars. I've chosen locale iw_he, but it didn't help. I've tried installing culmus fonts http://culmus.sourceforge.net/ but couldn't locate XF86Config.

Thanks

EDIT: I've installed culmus from the lucid repo using PPM, Now I can see hebrew chars, but there are still squares in the title of the browser (I use chrome from QuickPet). Does anyone else have problems w/ his/her language?
scsijon

sorry to spoil the fun, but.....

#612 Post by scsijon »

Installed 209 as frugal folks and found a couple of left field video problems to start with. Other than this I complement it on what stage it is at.

1- Video
- VESA - I set at 1024x786 - but it seems to be using a larger desktop than that as applications dissapear out of the borders of my screen until I "page" size them.
- Xorg - If I accept the defaults at first
- then on reboot want to change the refresh via the xorg video wizard down to 60hz and accept that
- then without a reboot want to reset it to something faster, it won't let me, it seems stuck on 60hz unless I kill X via shutdown/exit to prompt and then rerun the xorg video wizard from there.

2- your Simple Network Configurator seems to rerun each time you use the Xorg Video wizard, I would have prefered a "start network here" button, that disapeared after used once.

3- couldn't find gtkhash to verify files, is this an oversite, a missing but needed utility or has it just moved?

more later when I have tested further

regards
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 08 Jul 2010, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Abnormalter

#613 Post by Abnormalter »

Hello, it's my short testing report for Luci 209.

1. Luci-209 cannot auto mont my disk for ext4 FS on removable device
(It is such SDHC, plugged to card reader on my Netbook.)
So, just me the fstab has typical true string, who manually can be proposed to fstab specially for it.

Mount param for my device (after manually click by DE device icon):

Code: Select all

# mount
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/sdb1 type ext4 (rw,realtime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
On fstab I use this records:

/dev/sdb1	/mnt/sdb1	auto	auto,rw	0	0
OR:

/dev/sdb1	/mnt/sdb1	ext4	auto,rw	0	0
But this method won't work for Luci-207 or 209.
Note. By any prevent Puppy's, include first Lupu 5 distro, uses this fstab set available me to auto mount my 'removable' sdb1 device.
So, I have any ways, for example, using hotpup daemon for my Desktop PC, who has just HDD by ext3 FS on many disks, can be switch on the auto mount functionality fine. But it won't work for 'removable' device, just has ext4... :(

UPD at 2010-07-09: For resolve this I was using now into rc.local two strings like it:

[ ! -d /mnt/sdb1 ] && mkdir /mnt/sdb1
mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 -o rw
2. Using 3fs FS to save file can trow an error.

At last stage Puppy' shutdown process, the Save FS display '...I/O error...' (M-mm. I forgot any words of this message, but any msg like 'i/o error' it is dangerous message, IMHO...) Yah! I haven't lost data now. But, IMHO, it is abnormally behavior for save file subsystem if this message have been present at any times of it...
(Hmm... I prefer switching it to 2fs now, to do roll back here! =)
Note. It present on use ntfs or ext4 FS by save-file' host disk.

3. Currently, under 2.6.33.2 kernel, ALSA won't work fine,.. and here too!
From Lupu 5 to Luci 209 distros I cannot practice use it for my Asus eeePC 900 Netbook because Alsa Setup cannot recognize & setups Audio Adapter HDA-Intel. And sound not present here... :(
Last edited by Abnormalter on Fri 09 Jul 2010, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
nancy reagan

Xorg while I want vesa

#614 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi running livecd latest luci

On my notebook I want vesa but it keeps throwing xorg.

Maybe it is reported before well ..

Just to let you know by a cripple user.

On my desktop though, connected to a widescreen tv-monitor something like 1800 while my desktop never recognised the res, all of a sudden the flightgear iso (2 3 yr old ?) recognised itm the first of all pups (by autodetect ?).
Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-209

#615 Post by Billtoo »

When I bootup the luci 209 cd on this pc I see 4.5g free in the box in the lower right so I thought I'd load up with applications and remaster the live cd.I added practically every pet in quickpet and also the puppy lucid repository in ppm plus openarena and tunapie from the ubuntu repositories in ppm.I also added some other pets that I have, wine 1.2-rc6 being the biggest.I added the devx with the sfs installer.pet that's available in the forum so no reboot required and I compiled dosbox,weechat,mc,and moc.
I ran the remaster script and chose to keep the settings for this pc so it would have the fast graphics already to go and I ended up with an 844mb custom luci 209 iso.I burned the iso and booted up the dvd using pfix=ram, it stalled part way through so I rebooted with no special parameters and it found a luci 207 save file on the hard drive and updated that. I tried to do a full install but it didn't work so I did a frugal installl and it did work...yah!
The attached screenshot shows that after booting the frugal install and loading a lot of applications that I still have over 4g free.

I'm just having fun while waiting for the next spup to come out :)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(128.59 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
rhadon

#616 Post by rhadon »

@ Abnormalter

Do you really need Alsa?

For me (Eee 900 and Lupu-500,501, and all luci's) Sound works OTB. :D
The only thing was with right click on the speaker icon at the bottom, than config window -> Hardware and choose e.g. Speaker Playback Volume for MPlayer.

HTH

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.
01micko

#617 Post by 01micko »

Hello Rolf

That is exactly what I do in my eee 701SD, works fine, actually I have to do that in Puppeee and Fluppy too.

BTW, love that new avatar.. :lol: I'd love to see the full size image. Link???

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
Abnormalter

Problem of a Netbook' Tray Applets

#618 Post by Abnormalter »

Additionally, I see that under Luci 209 (on 207 may be too) the traytemp applet (and vattery-0.7 too) won't work fine! (I.e. after start it the Tray has empty places of it, but displays not any...) I remember, under Luci 203 or Lupu 5.0 it work fine...
Abnormalter

Asus eeepc, Luci 20x and Alsa...

#619 Post by Abnormalter »

Hi, Rolf
I understand not any!
(How to MPlayer Volume???)
See screenshot please.
Attachments
Retvol-config#3.png
How to MPlayer Volume?
(46.82 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Retvol-config#2.png
Attempt to Setup the Sound
(40 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
rhadon

#620 Post by rhadon »

@ Abnormalter,

english is also not my native language, so there is a wide area for misunderstandings
(btw. my russian is far more worse, most words I know are bad words :lol: ).

Before I wrote the last post I tested sound with Mplayer. First no sound. Then I right clicked speaker icon, choosed config window and added Speaker Playback Volume.
Now I have sound in MPlayer.

Maybe you need other sliders for other sources. I have added all sliders and if Master Volume control doesn't work, I use Full Window and try the others till I have success.

Sorry if my style was bad. :oops:

~ Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.