Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#1001 Post by rcrsn51 »

I suspect that you would have to go into the ALSA setup, find the code that writes to the file /etc/modprobe.conf and change it to write to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf. At the time, Barry mentioned that he would look into it.

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-213

#1002 Post by Billtoo »

# graphix_test
For your ATI graphics card, ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics , we think the best add on driver is Xorg_High.pet .
It would be required for some programs and games with high graphcial content and your desktop might seem a bit more snappy. It is available in Quickpet under Drivers
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
ATI
ATI

#
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 213

Chip description:
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 0
7841 frames in 5.0 seconds
7918 frames in 5.0 seconds
7919 frames in 5.0 seconds
7920 frames in 5.0 seconds
#
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer Mesa DRI R600 (RS780 9610) 20090101 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
Version 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1
Direct Rendering Yes
#
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI R600 (RS780 9610) 20090101 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

shinobar

Keyboard settings

#1003 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:Did you see mories post a few pages back? If we can hack in a start up script then it makes the "pkeys" boot param useful.
I do not think it user friendly if we rely on the boot parameters like 'pkeys'.
Anyhow, the console key-map is kept in the file /etc/keymap and that for X is the file /etc/X11/xog.conf on the traditional puppies.

Running X without xorg.conf, the problem is X has no way to detect the keyboard properties.
One of the solutions is to see /etc/keymap and reflect it to the X-server. It can be implimented in .xinitrc or in xwin as mories said.
Note that the keyboard properties are not only XkbLayout, but also XkbModel and XkbVariant.

keymap-set-20100721 has the code from /etc/keymap to the 3 keyboard properties for X.
To reflect /etc/keymap to the X-server, we can do 'keymap-set --load'.

TRIAL:
  1. Boot up luci-213 with ram only mode.
  2. First-run.sh apears... close.
  3. Install keymap-set-20100721.pet.
  4. From virtual terminal(urxvt), type:

Code: Select all

keymap-set
  5. Arises a dialog(may takes a while).
  6. Select 'jp106' and 'OK'.
    Now the keyboard correctly works as 'jp106'.
  7. Restart X.
    The keyboard working as 'us'.
  8. From virtual terminal(urxvt), type:

Code: Select all

keymap-set --load
    Now the keyboard works as 'jp106'.
Testing success.

rjbrewer

#1004 Post by rjbrewer »

ICPUG wrote:OK - some more testing results but first to answer Playdayz request about what Barry suggested in his blog. This was posted 25/6/10 16:39 for spup2

I am interested in getting feedback on what needs to be done to get X running for various video hardware. If the proper video driver doesn't work, you can get going with vesa driver, then experiment...

Intel
Create a file /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf:
options i915 modeset=1

unquote

Note: There is no '.' between the i915 and the modeset=1 in the above suggestion.

Now for the testing results:

I'm back with a frugal with my menu.lst having the i915.modeset=1 and video=640x480 (which works to get rid of the small test in terminal mode)

I tested what scsijon did to see if I black screened when I changed resolution. Happily I didn't. It all went well.

My default resolution by xorg autoconfiguring was 1280x800 (which is correct for my laptop LCD screen). I went into the keyboard video changer on first boot and set locale to GB, keyboard to UK and resolution to 800x600. Seemed OK except some icons needed to be moved so the drive icons did not overlap them, When asked I typed the intel driver (be nice to choose from a list and not have to type). It seemed OK so I shutdown the PC and created a save file. Rebooted and things were still OK - no black screen like scsijon.

The situation now is that I finally have the setup I want AND you have the direct boot to desktop that you want.

It seems like a win-win at last.
Outstanding ICPUG!

Not only did this solve the small terminal text issue (I also have
1280x800 native res., but prefer 1024x768);
it also worked on my Fluppy003 install; which I was only getting
Vesa on before.

edit:
Worked a few times on Fluppy, then shutdown and reboot problems
began.
Still fine on Luci.
Last edited by rjbrewer on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

01micko

#1005 Post by 01micko »

Here is a very simple pet that allows you to browse as user "spot" .. ie <-- not as user "root"

Lots of complaints about that with Puppy, many people are fearful of running as "root".. fair enough. Well this is a partial solution for browsing at least for those folks.

Features
  • Menu entry
    Runs also from command line ("browsesafe" is the command)
    Only runs with mozilla browsers, but that state is auto-detected and errors with a message if firefox or seamonkey aren't set as default
NOTE: when you change your default browser, you may need to restart X so the script knows it, it's based around the environmental variable DEFAULTBROWSER, this was intended as to keep the script tiny. (So it's a feature not a bug :wink: er a "security" feature :wink: )

Try it if you want

Cheers

edit: woops a tiny booboo, doesn't affect functionality though, reuploading
Attachments
browsesafe-0.2.pet
(831 Bytes) Downloaded 264 times
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-213

#1006 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:Here is a very simple pet that allows you to browse as user "spot" .. ie <-- not as user "root"

Try it if you want

Cheers
I installed the pet, I have 3 browsers installed so I made firefox the default and clicked on browsesafe and got an error saying that I must be running a mozilla browser.

EDIT:

oops, tried again and it seems to be working now :)

01micko

#1007 Post by 01micko »

Sorry Billtoo, I should have mentioned if you change defaultbrowser, spot in this case wont know until you restart X.

Cheers

Stripe

#1008 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

the default chat client ayttm wont handle msn and keeps returning error 6 and saying to download new version before fileing a bug report.

Yet pidgin will work with the same account and clients

Hope this helps
Don

playdayz

#1009 Post by playdayz »

Intel
Create a file /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf:
options i915 modeset=1
That's the one I got also ICPUG. It is implemented in luci-214 coming tomorrow. The video=640x480 is implemented in luci-213 (in isolinux.cfg) for boot from the CD. The i915.modeset parameter worked in booting the Cd, in luci-214 we neeed to confirm that it works as a config file in /etc/modprobe.d.

Thanks for all the help.

playdayz

#1010 Post by playdayz »

I just noticed that Ayttm is not going into the tray as it is supposed to.

I have changed ayttm from Ubuntu to the pet 20100427-q1--which goes into the tray as it should. Please test for functionality. Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Iguleder

#1011 Post by Iguleder »

Ayttm is the smallest there is, besides CenterIM :P

I think the best option is to drop ayttm and put the meeboview from 4.2.1. It doesn't take any space, besides one .desktop file.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

scruffy

Nvidia graphix_test

#1012 Post by scruffy »

01micko wrote:scruffy

I made a pet for testing on the previous page, can you install it and run the command "graphix_test"?

It should recommend the correct driver.

Cheers
Hi 01micko,

I ran graphix_test in Test 1 earlier. It seems to recognize the card but doesn't recommend a driver.

# graphix_test

nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a4)
nVidia
GeForce4

scruffy

01micko

#1013 Post by 01micko »

Thank you scruffy, that helps 8)

If you don't mind can you try this new pet? Same command. It will overwrite the old one.

Cheers
Attachments
graphix_test-2.pet
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

scruffy

#1014 Post by scruffy »

01micko wrote:Thank you scruffy, that helps 8)

If you don't mind can you try this new pet? Same command. It will overwrite the old one.

Cheers
It's now selecting the correct driver :)

# graphix_test
For your nVidia video card, nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a4) we think the best add on driver is nvidia-96.43.16. It would be required for some programs and games with high graphcial content and your desktop might seem a bit more snappy. It is available in Quickpet under Drivers
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a4)
nVidia
GeForce4
MX
#

01micko

#1015 Post by 01micko »

Thank you scruffy :)

That should clear most of the cards from that era. :wink:

If anyone reports that they get no recommendation for their nVidia, please report..

If you don't want to register on the forum email me at 01mickoATgmailDOTcom (you know what to do with AT and DOT :wink: )

Cheers 8)

gjuhasz

An annoying bug.

#1016 Post by gjuhasz »

playdayz wrote: It is implemented in luci-214 coming tomorrow.
I bet most of you have bumped into this. If one right-clicks a drive icon to select "unmount" from the pop-up menu, there is a good chance that both the icon and the menu disappear :( while the drive keeps being mounted.

I understand that this is a ROX issue but there must be a cure for this. For example, user confirmation could be requested before removing the item.
Attachments
unmount.jpg
The drive icon and the Remove item command are at the same position
(47.79 KiB) Downloaded 1033 times

tasmod

#1017 Post by tasmod »

No that's an xml based script which is hidden.

To see the script look in /root/.pupevent and right click a drive icon there and select 'look inside' the menu scripts are there.

Sorry, also check /usr/sbin/eventmanager

EDIT:

Hmmm, looked again but no use to you I'm afraid. I have worked on that menu for myself before but just can't remember where it is.

Someone else will come along and clear it up.
Last edited by tasmod on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

darwinev0lved

symlink to folder

#1018 Post by darwinev0lved »

I suspect that this may be a continuation of my earlier problem - but was wondering if anybody else has had this happen.
Luci 213 on a frugal install on a usbstick.
I want to keep my firefox profile in /mnt/home
Now I could just alter profiles.inito point to /mnt/home but I've had real problems with this approach before - firefox refusing to start or claiming that there was another version running. So I thought, leave profiles.ini alone and just have a symlink.
The problem is, is that every time I reboot the symlink has turned into a folder. So I have to delete it, recreate the symlink. Then I normally have to start firefox in safemode, then restart it and all is well. A bit of a faff and presumably not necessary?
Anybody got any ideas as to what's going on, or what could be messed up with how I've set things up.
All ideas gratefully received.

gjuhasz

#1019 Post by gjuhasz »

tasmod wrote:Hmmm, looked again but no use to you I'm afraid. I have worked on that menu for myself before but just can't remember where it is.
Someone else will come along and clear it up.
Thanks, tasmod. To tell the truth, I failed to find that menu among the system files based on its content.

I assume that simply changing the position of "Remove item" within the menu will not resolve the issue but threaten another icon(s) on the screen. :(

So, I think that removing "Remove item" would be the least painful workaround.

stu90

#1020 Post by stu90 »

playdayz wrote:
Made a small video of lucid213 first run wizard and driver recommendation. Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S95PEj1-R1k
I saw it on youtbue, Stu90. Very cool. Thanks. Did you make it with gtk-recordMyDesktop? I am thinking to make at least one video (more a slide show) to welcome new users. Any tip[s?

Now that it's on youtube, my daughter believes it's real ;-)
No i used xvidcap-1.7.7.pet for that video - seems to work ok but it transcodes the video file on the fly as you are recording which resulted in a large frame rate drop for me when recording full desktop videos as my duel core AMD laptop couldn't keep up.

Gtk-recordmydesktop gives the option to transcode the file after you have finished recording which i find more convenient for lower spec and older hardware.

I used Gtk-rmd in lucid 213 for this video on installing puppy.look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV78V_XXjpo

Im no video maker so can't really offer much in the way of tips although i did notice youtube seems to have added more features since i last used it, even has a basic video editor for cropping videos and joining them together etc. Lobster is probibly the man to ask when i comes to videos. 8)