Ever GROWING pup save file - a solution

Using applications, configuring, problems
Wally
Location: Heaven, Dell X1:NO HDD, NO CD, NO FAN Pup 4.3.1 USB Boot............................ {RAP SUCKS!}

#21 Post by Wally »

This is to Wheres One, or who ever can answer.

I moved 'my-documents' outside of pup-save. I even set Seamonkey under preferences to directly save in the new my-documents, in mnt/home.

I downloaded a few small files yesterday, and my pup-save/free ram still shrank!

What gives, eh?
:(
Wheres One

#22 Post by Wheres One »

@ Wally

I did a fresh, frugal installation of 4.3.1, deleted /root/my-documents completely, created /mnt/home/my-documents, created a link to it at /root/my-documents, and copied 1.2 GB of data to it. My save file didn't decrease it all, so my previous instructions are poorly written or wrong. Let me try again.

To Move my-documents Outside the Save File:
  • 1. Click on the file manager's desktop icon. It will be open to root.
    2. Delete the file my-documents if you haven't already done so.
    3. Leaving the existing window open, click again on the file manager's desktop icon.
    4. Click on the up arrow on the file manager's top most menu bar.
    5. Click on the directory mnt, then click on the directory home.
    6. From here, create a directory called my-documents.
    7. From the current window, click and drag the directory my-documents to the previous window open to root and release.
    8. You should now see a dialog with options to copy, move, link (relative), link (absolute). Click on link (relative).
If you did the following and your save file still shrinks, then something else is likely at fault. What other configurations have you made, specifically?
Wally
Location: Heaven, Dell X1:NO HDD, NO CD, NO FAN Pup 4.3.1 USB Boot............................ {RAP SUCKS!}

#23 Post by Wally »

Your instructions were good the first time as well.

I deleted 'my-documents' from root. A new one in mnt/home, with NO link.

In Seamonkey preferences, I set the downloads to go straight to mnt/home/my-documents.

And still the pup-save/free ram decreased, after a few small downloads.

I'm going to check it again, D/L a couple of more things.

Other configurations, dunno, might be just a USB install. Pretty much a plain simple install of 4.3.1.
Wheres One

#24 Post by Wheres One »

Try copying a file directly into /mnt/home/my-documents and see if this causes your free space to diminish. If it doesn't, then something else, possibly something within Seamonkey, maybe be causing it.
Wally

#25 Post by Wally »

I think i figured it out.

I downloaded quake maps yesterday, and installed them to usr/share/ etc...

This affected Puppy internally, so pup-save shrank.

Just now I downloaded MP3s and it did NOT shrink.

So there it is.

Thanks, my friend.
:)
nooby

#26 Post by nooby »

Wally:
Just now I downloaded MP3s and it did NOT shrink.
But you most likely place them outside of the pupsave so that is to be expected is it not?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Wheres One

#27 Post by Wheres One »

@ Wally

I'm glad things looked sorted out and hope they stay that way.

By the by, when I used Seamonkey Mail under a frugal install, I noticed that free space was decreasing (even when I deleted the mail) and couldn't find any way to make Seamonkey delete things permanently. If you ever use Seamonkey Mail and experience the same problem, you might try what Rjbrewer suggested earlier on.
Wally

#28 Post by Wally »

Nooby,

Yeah, the MP3s were downloaded to 'my-documents', that was in mnt/home directory.

Thanks everyvbody.
nooby

#29 Post by nooby »

Muggins in another thread describe it like this:
just create a backup copy of a good pup_save,
then, if you notice any reduction in available space,
just copy the backup back over the original, reboot,
and you'll regain your original size.

Sounds so easy me have to try it out. Friendly smile.

Edit, I am so chicken, have still not dared to test it. But others have tested so I have to trust them I guess.
Last edited by nooby on Thu 29 Jul 2010, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Wally

#30 Post by Wally »

Hey,

That's a pretty good idea.

I'm going to try that, too.
nooby

#31 Post by nooby »

One thing me by accident found out was that SeaMonkey browser by default??? had 9 days of history collected and a lot of pages too. Not sure mow much they added to my save file.
Wally

#32 Post by Wally »

The only and best answer and solution for this 'ever-diminishing
free ram'/'ever growing pup save' file for me, is:

to simply run WITHOUT one.

This has its (many) advantages.

:wink:
Last edited by Wally on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Wheres One

#33 Post by Wheres One »

You could also try a full installation. It behaves like a more traditional operating system installation and, while it has its advantages and disadvantages, some prefer it.
nooby

#34 Post by nooby »

Wally,

maybe that works well if one have US keyboard. But how do you set it up to save such things?

Okay one can do all that and then make a new iso and that one don't need a savefile?

Or one edit the initrd to use the keyboard and screen settings one need. But then if one change computer one have to start all over?

Could you describe how you do it so one get a hang on what you refer to.

If I don't make a save file then each time me boot I have to go through setting up country and local time and xorgwizard and firewall and which browser to use and then add all the add ons to that browser.

So most likely you have chosen a puppy with the browser you accept to use and maybe you don't add anything to it or have placed the browser outside of the puppy?

Better you tell than me write many posts wild guessing :)
Wally

#35 Post by Wally »

Hi Nooby,

Humility, and less is so much more.

If I do not use a pup.save, then yes, each boot I need to enter 'keyboard US', 'time zone', etc...

BUT I have found that all I need my computer for is just a little internet and once in a while some other stuff....

SO, basically I have a backup USB with some other stuff installed and ready to go...

But, you know, I haven't even used it lately.

And this way I don't have to worry about the incredible growing pup save file.

And each time I use my computer it is like a Brand New Fresh Start!

No worries about corruption, mismanaged memory, or any other stuff.

Pretty good.
:P

P.S. Yes, I am using default Seamonkey browser with no add-ons, no fluff, no nothing. In Good Ole' Puppy 4.3.1! (USB Install)

Oh, this was inspired by ideas by Puppy Forum user - 'The Last Saviour'.
nooby

#36 Post by nooby »

Heheh yes why aim for the Moon and the Stars when there is a Lighthouse nearby to be led by.

A LED torch serves fine to give me light to find my way at times too.

I used SuperOS (Ubuntu) and I have also used AntiX a debian Sidux variety that way.

So I know what you talk about. One can always save on the USB or HDD or such and use bookmarks on a text file with html on and edit it manually not so difficult.
lapis

#37 Post by lapis »

nooby wrote:maybe that works well if one have US keyboard. But how do you set it up to save such things?
With regard to the keyboard layout there is a boot switch that you can use:

Code: Select all

PKEYS
The keyboard layout for a country. Default is "us". Choices are: be br cf de dk es fi fr gr hu it jp no pl ru se uk us
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParams
If I don't make a save file then each time me boot I have to go through setting up country and local time and xorgwizard and firewall and which browser to use and then add all the add ons to that browser.

Okay one can do all that and then make a new iso and that one don't need a savefile?
Wouldn't that work easily enough?

I am confused by this thread. I haven't used 4.31 but what causes the save file to grow? I have been using the same save file for about two years now. Occasionally I clear out the dross that the browser, plugins and flash builds up and any log files that might have sneaked in but I can't think why else the save file would lose significant amounts of space.
nooby

#38 Post by nooby »

I guess that is totally up to the individual.

some don't care about going through all those hoops
and others like me find it to be too much to do each time.

We are all different.

Occasionally I clear out the dross that the browser, plugins and flash builds up and any log files that might have sneaked in but I can't think why else the save file would lose significant amounts of space.
Such works for those that have the know how to know which files to delete.

We who are not computer savvy have no idea or forget within minutes their names or write down in a paper but forget where we put it or in a book and have no idea where is the book and where in the book did I write it.

Or we put it in a text file on the /mnt/home/ with symlink and then have no clue what search word to use.

We are all very different.
gychang

#39 Post by gychang »

I ran into this problem when I used most recent slacko 2.3. I seem to have to increase size of the .sav file constantly.

I use chrome, and after I got the dropbox, skype all setup, it still seems to have to increase the size.

will the following work?

gychang

Wheres One wrote:@ Wally

I did a fresh, frugal installation of 4.3.1, deleted /root/my-documents completely, created /mnt/home/my-documents, created a link to it at /root/my-documents, and copied 1.2 GB of data to it. My save file didn't decrease it all, so my previous instructions are poorly written or wrong. Let me try again.

To Move my-documents Outside the Save File:
  • 1. Click on the file manager's desktop icon. It will be open to root.
    2. Delete the file my-documents if you haven't already done so.
    3. Leaving the existing window open, click again on the file manager's desktop icon.
    4. Click on the up arrow on the file manager's top most menu bar.
    5. Click on the directory mnt, then click on the directory home.
    6. From here, create a directory called my-documents.
    7. From the current window, click and drag the directory my-documents to the previous window open to root and release.
    8. You should now see a dialog with options to copy, move, link (relative), link (absolute). Click on link (relative).
If you did the following and your save file still shrinks, then something else is likely at fault. What other configurations have you made, specifically?