Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sinc

#1521 Post by sinc »

BarryK wrote:
James C wrote:
BarryK wrote: Would you guys mind checking my latest rc.network script with wired ethernet, and if there is a problem with not connecting at bootup, could you check the files that I have suggested?
Barry, this is not exactly what you were asking for but i figured i should report it anyways. I deleted my save file. Started with a pfix=ram. I had already downloaded your new rc.network script. So on this fresh boot I changed the rc.network to the new one. connected to my WIRELESS with WEP internet using sns. downloaded the pardus pet and installed it (in case in matters). rebooted, created a save file, and after starting up i had no internet connection. reconnected using sns. rebooted. no internet connection. one more time... same result. non persistent wireless connection for me between reboots with the new script.

2ndly: After installing the pardus pet attached in the last message the PUI still did not work correctly. Only worked after making the change Mick mentioned. Truthfully, I don't know if its the same thing or not I'm just reporting my experience.
wayne128

#1522 Post by wayne128 »

Thanks 01micko for the tips, i shall try later when i can steal some time.

as i saw language option on Lupu508beta, i also try it out on several chinese options since i read and use chinese also.
here is first test, just select from menu on the language, then restart x, and open quickpet. first result:

zh china: result is , those words supposedly display in chinese become not-readable. at the same time, the pet VLC player, while retaining its logo, the file has become Lxmusic with 2.9M instead of the original VLC with 28M.

the rest like Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, upon selecting , restart X, quickpet, what i see is no change, still in original english screen.

so i try using a pet create in chinese puppy website, pet name is
cnpack_half-4xx-20100720.pet
and result is that quickpet will show in simplified chinese for its screen, however, the VLC still was changed to Lxmusic with 2.9M

perhaps this language options need some change before release.
01micko

#1523 Post by 01micko »

wayne128 wrote:Thanks 01micko for the tips, i shall try later when i can steal some time.

as i saw language option on Lupu508beta, i also try it out on several chinese options since i read and use chinese also.
here is first test, just select from menu on the language, then restart x, and open quickpet. first result:

zh china: result is , those words supposedly display in chinese become not-readable. at the same time, the pet VLC player, while retaining its logo, the file has become Lxmusic with 2.9M instead of the original VLC with 28M.

the rest like Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, upon selecting , restart X, quickpet, what i see is no change, still in original english screen.

so i try using a pet create in chinese puppy website, pet name is
cnpack_half-4xx-20100720.pet
and result is that quickpet will show in simplified chinese for its screen, however, the VLC still was changed to Lxmusic with 2.9M

perhaps this language options need some change before release.
Ok, I can symlink all those locales to the Chinese file in Quickpet..

Unfortunately, sasaqqdan, the Chinese translator hasn't had the time to update the translation..

If you could fix the Lxmusic/Vlc link I'd be grateful. The files are at /usr/local/quickpet/locals

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
sinc

#1524 Post by sinc »

01micko wrote:
Did you try to add an entry manually in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file?

This is what is in mine:

Code: Select all

title Linux (on /dev/sda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=790
hth

Cheers
Yes sir. I edited my grub manually. I really think the grub from 421 doesn't know what an ext4 partition is. when it boots it calls it an ext2 partition and then gives me a error 2: bad file type.

Its really not a big deal, thats my own stubbornness for liking the grub menu from 421.

p.s. from last post...Rebooted a couple more times and still no persistent internet connection. dropping back to the previous rc.network. :)
playdayz

#1525 Post by playdayz »

Barry, lupu-508 was OK and had the older rc.network. It was in 509 pre as I was assembling it that I noticed the problem. Evidently I replaced the old rc.network in /etc/rc.d instead of replacing the rc.network in /usr/local/simple_network_setup/. I am building 509 again to confirm this. Sorry for the panic.

Yes, that was it. :oops:
James C

#1526 Post by James C »

One last test of the new rc.network. :)

Frugal install of Lupu-508 on the old P3 test box. Deleted my save file and rebooted.Replaced rc.network in /usr/local/simple_network_setup/ with BarryK's new one.........stopped internet connection and restarted with SNS.
Rebooted and had my usual wired ethernet connection. Have rebooted three times and still have a persistent connection. All good........ :lol:
l0wt3ch

#1527 Post by l0wt3ch »

playdayz wrote:Not in Quickpet this time, but in the puppy-lucid repo of Puppy Package Manager (the one users see by default). I may not get them added by release, and some may not work correctly in PPM, but we will have another list in lupu News from Quickpet.
Perfect, thanks!

I'll see about that Hydrogen pet in a couple of weeks when I get home.
shinobar

Locales and Translations

#1528 Post by shinobar »

wayne128 wrote:as i saw language option on Lupu508beta, i also try it out on several chinese options since i read and use chinese also.
(snip)
Regarding translations, it depens on 3 factors.
  1. good translation
  2. proper font
  3. right locale
To see the font issue, i provided languagelist.data on the previous post.

Even if we have translations and fonts, some locales have another issue.
Font issue aside, at least 2 locales are not supported on most of Puppy's: They are ko_KR and zh_CN.
For example, install CJK fonts like wqy-microhei.ttf on lupu and change the locale to zh_CN.utf8.
Then quickpet shows chinese translation, but geany nor gnumeric does NOT even lupu has their translations.
You can see what is wrong when you type 'locale' and 'local -a' on the terminal.

I do not think Lupu should support CJK languages. It can be achieved by additional PET or SFS.
Dogdaze

Lupu-508 Beta 3

#1529 Post by Dogdaze »

Hi everybody!
Sorry, I'm new to the forum and I obviously posted in the wrong area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
$$ Don't buy a new computer $$, download a Puppy! :D
Last edited by Dogdaze on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
Dogdaze

Lupu-508 Beta 3

#1530 Post by Dogdaze »

Deleted by author, double posting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
$$ Don't buy a new computer $$, download a Puppy! :D
01micko

#1531 Post by 01micko »

Barry

Just tested your rc.network script in lupu-508 in a full install to ext4 on my old K6 400 dinosaur and did a couple of reboots and no problem at all, connects without any interference from me.. haven't seen a network gui on this box.

Cheers
wayne128

#1532 Post by wayne128 »

01micko,
sorry but i have not learnt how to change .pet.
i wish i could.
may be someday.
playdayz

#1533 Post by playdayz »

There is a little surprise pet in Lupu News. It is the last tab in Quickpet. It works better in Icewm. More coming tomorrow.
01micko

#1534 Post by 01micko »

wayne128 wrote:01micko,
sorry but i have not learnt how to change .pet.
i wish i could.
may be someday.
That's ok, I can remove the entry for Lxmusic in the Chinese locale file and it will be covered by the English translation.. small problem, not too bad.

Thanks

Cheers
James C

#1535 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:There is a little surprise pet in Lupu News. It is the last tab in Quickpet. It works better in Icewm. More coming tomorrow.
Nice surprise. :)

Installed and working fine.Still fast. :lol:
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1536 Post by Lobster »

More coming tomorrow
Orgasmic :wink:
Look forward to it . . .

Been using IRC (click on chat icon in Lucid)
IRC channel seems to be maturing and the Lucid Ayttm
IRC program is working OK

Been asked that 'Big Mike' be made an 'op'
So anyone know how to do that or willing to contact J-Rey - please do
(have sent an email - but the merrier the more)

Anyway do make use of IRC
if you wish to chat in real time about Lucid 8)

Free Puppy Linux
Puppy is Innocent
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
Jasper

#1537 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

It seems to be important, especially for a new user, that the default browser is actually preset to netsurf and that the sound is not preset so high that otherwise enjoyable barks are deafening.

My regards

PS About the name:

Personally, I hope you will retain the name Lucid Puppy (lupu) for ever since I think that unnecessary Brand Name changes merely dilute impact and confuse many existing and prospective users..
Also, despite future Ubuntu biannual updates 'lucid' has an appealing dictionary definition.
Further,again just personally, I prefer the more informative lupu 10.08 to lupu 5.1 - though I see no need for regular pre planned updates, but rather, perhaps,rolling package updates and additions.

I comment now only because I do not know if the future naming / version strategy has been finalised and it seems to me it would be best decided before 5.10 rolls out (of, course if the 10 suffix applies to the year of issue that method seems simple and ideal).
Stripe

#1538 Post by Stripe »

Hi Barry

I think one of the reasons for the rollback was that quite a few people were not getting the full, first save and xorgwizard screens/guis full page (the options were off the bottom of the screen and would not scroll down)

I have to agree with playdayz about the freezing prior to release so that the remaining problems can be ironed out and tweaked so that the best version possible is released.

Hope that helps
Stripe
chrismt

Comodo TrustConnect now FREE !

#1539 Post by chrismt »

Hello everyone,

Comodo is offering their TrustConnect VPN client for free and it even has a Linux verson for Ubuntu

I downloaded the latest Comodo .deb and installed on Lupu 508

http://forums.comodo.com/comodo-trustco ... 198.0.html

It even made a menu entry but I am having a hard time making it run

Can someone make some interest in Comodo TrustConnect

It will keep all Puppy users safe when they are using a public Wifi

You need to register free here

https://accounts.comodo.com/trustconnec ... ent/signup

I wish someone can help me run it

:D
Last edited by chrismt on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
shinobar

rollback reason

#1540 Post by shinobar »

Stripe wrote:I think one of the reasons for the rollback was that quite a few people were not getting the full, first save and xorgwizard screens/guis full page (the options were off the bottom of the screen and would not scroll down)
The cause was what i reported before. it is not the fault of the recent woof.