How to extract files from a DVD burnt in Vista?

Booting, installing, newbie
Thelonius Beck

How to extract files from a DVD burnt in Vista?

#1 Post by Thelonius Beck »

OK, so, I am a brand new Puppy user. Until yesterday, I ran Vista. I managed to save my essential/irreplaceable files to DVD-R before my Windows installation became unusable.

Luckily, I had a Lucid Puppy Boot disc on hand for retrieving files from bad hard drives, and a brand new HDD to install it on.

So here I am with a brand new operating system, Lucid Puppy- Full Install.

The problem is. How do I get the files off of the DVD-R?

I've discerned that the issue is to do with the disc having no file system, thus preventing mounting. But that knowledge isn't exactly helpful.

Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can provide more details if needed, but remember, I'm a true n00b, so be patient. :lol:

Thanks in advance, TB.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What have you tried so far? It looks like you may have put the DVD in a drive and tried to mount it. That should have worked, if the files were recorded in a format that Linux can recognize. What program in Vista did you use to record the files?
rhadon

#3 Post by rhadon »

Hi Thelonius Beck,

if you can't mount a DVD I see no way to restore your files from there.

btw. if anybody here knows a way, I'm very interestet too :)

If you connect the old hd again and boot puppy from cd: do you have access to your windows files (can you mount the hd)? If so, I think your a winner :). You can use Pburn to copy the files proper to DVD.

HTH

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.
Thelonius Beck

#4 Post by Thelonius Beck »

Thanks guys.

Alas, the files no longer exist on the old HDD. I'll just have to try loading the disc into a windows machine, and dropping the files onto a flash drive a couple at a time.
kilgour

#5 Post by kilgour »

Under windows machine try IsoBuster and / or ImgBurn
http://www.imgburn.com/
http://www.isobuster.com/
Windows will see empty disc, if file system is Rock Ridge only on your DVD.
Bruce B

Re: How to extract files from a DVD-R?

#6 Post by Bruce B »

Thelonius Beck wrote: I've discerned that the issue is to do with the disc having no file system, thus preventing mounting. But that knowledge isn't exactly helpful.
I don't think a human being can discern such things.

It takes software and software may not be necessarily conclusive enough to make that determination.

For example, if the drive is bad or even in the wrong state (status), the software could report a false negative.

--------------

If the data you thought was on the drive is important, you must test under a variety of conditions, including different software, techniques and even drives.

I say this with experience enough to state that software has reported an inability to mount a disc because of no filesystem, input/output error and others. YET the disc was perfectly fine, even without errors at all.

Good luck to you.
Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

Thelonius Beck wrote: Alas, the files no longer exist on the old HDD. I'll just have to try loading the disc into a windows machine, and dropping the files onto a flash drive a couple at a time.
Usually the recently deleted files do exist until overwritten and can be recovered even if deleted. In the meantime, do not let any software write to the hdd, until and if you get the files you want back.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Could it have been burned with Vista's proprietary packet writing software? :cry:
Last edited by Flash on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.
Makoto

#9 Post by Makoto »

Doesn't Vista just use Roxio's software behind-the-scenes?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

I can't really say; I've not experienced the pleasure of using Vista. :lol: I seem to remember reading somewhere that it has (had?) the built-in capability to do packet writing. UDF or something like that.
looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#11 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

Thelonius Beck,
I'm guessing you've booted up Puppy, stuck in the DVD and no icon appears on the bottom-left of the screen.

Have you tried clicking on Mount (desktop icon) to see if Pmount can see the DVD ?? If so, click the Mount button and a directory listing will appear that you can copy from.

You could also try clicking the Mount desktop icon, click the Preferences button, then tick the "Mut" box and see if that brings up the DVD.

I had to do this all the time when I was trying to get Puppy 501 to work, but in the end this (and other Drive mis-detection issues) sent me back to Puppy 431 Retro.

Steve
Steve
Makoto

#12 Post by Makoto »

Flash wrote:I can't really say; I've not experienced the pleasure of using Vista. :lol: I seem to remember reading somewhere that it has (had?) the built-in capability to do packet writing. UDF or something like that.
Well, Roxio certainly has that, too. :D

(Does anyone still use packet-writing? No, really; I'm curious.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).