no space left on dos format

Booting, installing, newbie
puppybratt

no space left on dos format

#1 Post by puppybratt »

I have a 64gb usb disc but I ran out of harddrive space at 4gb

is there a way I can get the full 64gb space?

It said the partition is MS-DOS

I think that might be why?

Do I have to re-install?

what is the best way to install on usb for puppy?
puppybratt

#2 Post by puppybratt »

anyone?
Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

What are you trying to do? It sounds like your drive may be FAT16/FAT32 format (Edit: If it's a USB drive over 4GB, it's likely formatted as FAT32.); The limit for a single file in FAT32 is 4GB (your drive is 64GB, and you can use all of it - but none of the files on it can be larger than 4GB). That means if you're trying to create a pupsave on a FAT32 drive, the largest size pupsave you can create is 4GB, and there's no way around it without reformatting the drive, or doing a full install of Puppy to the drive, I believe.

If the contents of the USB drive aren't important, and you're not using the USB drive with anything else (such as a standalone DVD player, as those prefer FAT-formatted drives), you can try converting or reformatting the drive to NTFS format (you'll need Windows 2000/XP or higher for that, I believe), or ext2/3/4 format. Someone else more familiar with the process will probably need to help you with that, though. I don't recommend it unless you know what you're doing.
Last edited by Makoto on Fri 13 Aug 2010, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
kilgour

#4 Post by kilgour »

What is that 64gb usb disc? Flash? External HDD?

Limits: FAT16 ("pure" MS-DOS) =< 2GB, FAT16 (Windows NT, 64 KB clusters) =< 4GB

Try run Gparted.
puppybratt

#5 Post by puppybratt »

well i put some files in the root folder and now its full. i filled the home folder too. I see 4gb used on the disk and its full and I cant use the rest
puppybratt

#6 Post by puppybratt »

under properties it does not say fat16 or fat32
it merely says MS-DOS as partition type
puppybratt

#7 Post by puppybratt »

do I need to fomat to ext2 linux before Installing puppy linux onto this drive so I can use the full amount?
puppybratt

#8 Post by puppybratt »

do I need to fomat to ext2 linux before Installing puppy linux onto this drive so I can use the full amount?
puppybratt

#9 Post by puppybratt »

This is the problem.

Everything is being saved on the 1 .sfs file and I am using ms-dos which has the 4gb max

the file is maxed out? how do I get passed this? Can I format with a linux partition first and then install the puppy? is that how you get more than 4gb on the usb?

yes flash usb
noryb009

#10 Post by noryb009 »

I think I see what your doing. You must have done a frugal install (saves everything to 1 file).

What you will have to do is back up your data, using GParted format that partition to a ext2/ext3 (puppy can only do a full install on one of those), then do a full install.

EDIT:
If you want to let windows use a few GB for transferring files and stuff, keep a few GB of a FAT32 at the beginning of the drive (has to be the first one for windows to see it), and the rest a ext2/ext3 for puppy.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#11 Post by Béèm »

I think it might be of interest if you issue the command fdisk -l in a console/terminal and post the results here.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
puppybratt

#12 Post by puppybratt »

noryb009 wrote:I think I see what your doing. You must have done a frugal install (saves everything to 1 file).

What you will have to do is back up your data, using GParted format that partition to a ext2/ext3 (puppy can only do a full install on one of those), then do a full install.

EDIT:
If you want to let windows use a few GB for transferring files and stuff, keep a few GB of a FAT32 at the beginning of the drive (has to be the first one for windows to see it), and the rest a ext2/ext3 for puppy.

I went back and gparted the drive with ex2. I still have the same problem? How do you do a full install? everything still gets saved to the 1 .sfs file

what option do I choose for full install?
I have the same problem with the ex2 partition. i just installed on the ex2 same problems