Newer versions of Puppy won't boot.

Booting, installing, newbie
coeli

Newer versions of Puppy won't boot.

#1 Post by coeli »

ok...
1st off -- am decidedly a linux neophyte & there'll be all sorts of ppl wanting to tell me what I'm doing wrong -- feel free, it doesn't bother...
2nd -- have played w/puppy since v2.10 (PURCHASED!) yrs ago & notice a real problem w/booting older machines -- version 4.0 does fine, while version 5 & 5.1 DO NOT BOOT! nor will teenpups! since I really do like the 2008 version I've played around with this bothers me a lot -- will there be any tweeking w/upcoming release of 2010 teenpup to make booting a breeze again???
another issue...
I like puppy's ability to snif out my wifi (works like wicked & better than that K-thing) but I canNOT get my lexmark Ain1 printer nor my older epson 640 to print... what is it w/this cups???
lastly -- any hope that teenpup 2010 will recognise & play nicely w/tv boards???
cordial rgds,
coeli
rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Those are questions best addressed by John Biles,
Teenpups creator.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56&t=57872

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
kilgour

#3 Post by kilgour »

w/booting older machines
Write more info, for example PII 233 / ram 64 MB etc etc.
5 & 5.1 DO NOT BOOT
What that means? Take F2 at first boot screen, you will have boot options. LP5 in auto-mode goes to desktop or to nowhere.
coeli

booting...

#4 Post by coeli »

ah...
ok... clearing up hardware...
5.1 will NOT boot up on dell dimension L667 w/512mb ram -- this despite doing f-boot configurations -- & despite puppy 4.0 booting this cpu just fine...
it is EXACTLY the same on compaq ipaq... (again upgraded to 512mb ram)
& this does not resolve anything to do with cusp seeing printer -- saying it WILL print test page -- & then mysteriously never doing so... :)
rgds,
coeli
James C

Re: booting...

#5 Post by James C »

coeli wrote:ah...
ok... clearing up hardware...
5.1 will NOT boot up on dell dimension L667 w/512mb ram -- this despite doing f-boot configurations -- & despite puppy 4.0 booting this cpu just fine...
it is EXACTLY the same on compaq ipaq... (again upgraded to 512mb ram)
& this does not resolve anything to do with cusp seeing printer -- saying it WILL print test page -- & then mysteriously never doing so... :)
rgds,
coeli
Can't help you with your printing but I'm posting this from Lucid Puppy 5.10 on a Compaq Ipaq (733 mhx 256 mb ram w/swap). Did you verify the download and that the burn was good? The optical drives in these Ipaq's are sometimes a bit questionable, had to replace mine because of read errors.

I even had 5.10 running on a really old machine..........

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 614#441614
kilgour

#6 Post by kilgour »

What a surprise!
When Dell shipped the computer to me, I could not boot it. I am sort of a computer expert so I realized that it was a bios problem, so I called tech support. They were quite friendly and told me that yes, it was a bios problem and that Dell had been having some problems lately. They sent me a new system via next day air and then I had no problems. I would highly recommend this and all other Dell products!
Good luck!
coeli

boots...

#7 Post by coeli »

hmmm...
still cannot get compaq to boot from 5.1 & will try another download & burn via e-machines I have...
re dell... what? I've had nothing but the worst from "tech support ppl" there -- examples run from telling me to get windows xp (which will NOT run on that model) to shipping a replacement windows 2000 TO THE WRONG ADDRESS! & finally burning me on a messed up (brand new, straight-from-the-box dell inkjet printer...
nope -- if I can get ANYthing new it will NOT be from dell...
opmv...
coeli
kilgour

#8 Post by kilgour »

Hi coeli

Write in details what you see booting LC - I can only imagine it at now. CD start? Linux loader start? Etc etc.

BTW I tried to install XP on P233MMX / 64 MB - its worked, very slow, but worked. You have much stronger machine. Note, that sometimes XP installer must be set to ignore ACPI/APM BIOS info.