Intel D510MO board with Atom processor

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
studioluc

Intel D510MO board with Atom processor

#1 Post by studioluc »

Hello there,
as a new user, I would like to say hi and tell you about a new mainboard which works extremely well with puppy linux.

For a couple of days, I ordered a new INTEL board called D510MO with intel atom processor D510. It is one of the newest "pinetrail" boards of intel. Hooked it up with picopsu, attached a SATA Flash drive (4GB) and installed Puppy on it. I works brilliant, only the XOrg server still has some trouble with the graphics (the board is prob. too new, and I did not tweak around with it yet). Puppy has this beautiful XVesa to "fall back". And it just works brilliant. A frugal SATA Flash install and up you go in 5 minutes!

I hope newer (kernel( versions will also support this board. It just makes a lot of fun to run puppy on it. And it saved my *ss, because debian-live did not work well on it.

I am definitely a new puppy fan :-) I also got mono.net running well on it with support of windows.forms. It is just magic :-)

This is what I call a fine piece of software running on a fine piece of hardware, without any moving parts in it (not even a fan).

ausvirgo

D510MO Xorg

#2 Post by ausvirgo »

Hi Studioluc,

I've just installed Puppy Linux v4.31 on a D510MO (frugal install), and Xorg worked for me, but forced a 1280 x 1024 resolution instead of my selected resolution of 1920x1050.

Was checking this forum for info re this when I saw your post. Do not know if this issue is a limitation of the card, or of xorg.

will try xvesa and see what happens.

ausvirgo

D510MO Xorg

#3 Post by ausvirgo »

My selected resolution was 1680 x 1050, NOT 1920 x 1050.

I was quoting from a not quite perfect memory.

I've now tried Xvesa, but it doesn't offer me anything better than the 1280 x 1024 resolution of Xorg - Xvesa seems only to have 3:4 resolutions, not the widescreen 16:9.

I'm considering the following steps:
1) try the latest Puppy (5.something)
2) see if I can find what resolutions D510MO is supposed to support
3) try running Windows on the D510MO and see what resolutions it supports
4) put up with it until either a) someone comes up with a solution, or b) I learn enough to find a solution for myself, possibly from a different Linux OS.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

ausvirgo, can you please run this command to diagnose the problem -

Code: Select all

915resolution -l
Then report the output.
You will probably see an error message, and your graphic chip's Device ID. I need to know this ID.

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

ausvirgo wrote:4) put up with it until either a) someone comes up with a solution
ausvirgo, I'm offering the solution, but you need to reply ... with your device ID.
ausvirgo wrote:2) see if I can find what resolutions D510MO is supposed to support
According to Intel's official specifications:
Supports analog displays up to 2048 x 1536 at 75 Hz refresh (QXGA)
Refer to
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18357/e ... odSpec.pdf

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

The Xorg in 4.3.1 is too old for PineTrail. You will get better results with something newer. However it would be very useful for everyone if you provide the device ID that Tempestuous is asking for so we can fix Xvesa.

PaulBx1

#7 Post by PaulBx1 »

If anyone is still interested, this is the result on my D510MO:

Code: Select all

# 915resolution -l
Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack : version 0.5.3

Intel chipset detected.  However, 915resolution was unable to determine the chipset type.
Chipset Id: a0008086
Please report this problem to stomljen@yahoo.com
I have 4.3.1 running on it, but at 1280x1000 IIRC. Nothing higher.

I may try 5.1.1 here pretty quickly.

BTW anyone with this board, if you want to update the BIOS, the only thing that worked for me is the "recovery" procedure, where you have to remove the jumper from the board. You don't need a bootable flash drive with that procedure.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

OK, I have just patched 915resolution to support device id 8086:a000.
Get it here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 799#223799
If I understand jemimah correctly, this means you should now be able to get full resolution from the D510MO in Puppy 4.x - but still you can only use Xvesa.
With Puppy 5.x you should get full resolution, and be able to use Xorg.