Motherboard speaker making strange sounds

Booting, installing, newbie
kutalion

Motherboard speaker making strange sounds

#1 Post by kutalion »

Hello, guys

I did full install of Puppy on my moderately new computer (about 4 years) because Puppy did great. Even for 2GiGs of RAM and some other fancy stuff my Comp was getting slow more and more every day even with Ubuntu.
So I made the install and the computer begun dropping some sounds at uneven intervals from the built in Motherboard speaker (the one used to notify you that BIOS is loaded or other stuff). This is not an actual important problem but it's frustrating and I want it to cut that out.
So if you now what may be causing this annoying sound and you now a work-around of it please, please share with me, would you?

Best regards.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Hardware failing more likely.

Post your full specs >>Brand >> model number
and Puppy version.

Chris.

kutalion

#3 Post by kutalion »

I generated hardware report if that would help. (I used the HardInfo app inside Puppy)

The file is Here since I am not allowed to upload .html-s on the forum.

puppyluvr

#4 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I could not D/L the file...
Just tar it up with xarchive and then you can post it...

Also, in some Puppies, my MB speaker beeps if I try to overflow a text entry box or backspace beyond the beginning of a text box...

IDK if that helps though..
Last edited by puppyluvr on Mon 06 Sep 2010, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

jpeps

#5 Post by jpeps »

You can usually find "beep" pattern info for a particular motherboard on the web.

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

That's usually for POST/startup beep codes, though.

I know I've seen beeping happen like that with text boxes in Windows, before... but I don't think I've seen it happen with Puppy. Though, I don't think any of the systems I've used Puppy on have PC speakers... :oops:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

kutalion

#7 Post by kutalion »

First of all I know that this beeping happens when you try to backspace over the text field but this is not the case. This beeping sounds every few seconds at uneven interval. There have been situations when it paused for a minute or two and then beeping again. Weird indeed.

And here's the tar (that's more like it, huh). Oh, and the Puppy is 5.10 (Lucid)
Attachments
HardInfo (0.5.1).tar.gz
HardInfo of a strangely beeping system.
(6.8 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

jpeps

#8 Post by jpeps »

Makoto wrote:That's usually for POST/startup beep codes, though.

I know I've seen beeping happen like that with text boxes in Windows, before... but I don't think I've seen it happen with Puppy. Though, I don't think any of the systems I've used Puppy on have PC speakers... :oops:
It's independent of the OS, because they come from BIOS. The beep pattern lets you know what the problem is, based on the pattern. A failing hard drive, for example.

kutalion

#9 Post by kutalion »

It's independent from the OS? Then why the other dual-booted OS (Windows 7) doesn't have this beeps as it runs (at least not that commonly and only when trying to backspace more than the text field given)

8-bit

#10 Post by 8-bit »

Speaking of strange sounds from the speaker, I have an old, about 12 years, compaq laptop that will emit sounds from the speaker when internet data is transmitted or received.
I also believe this to be a hardware problem.
But before installing Puppy, when it ran Win XP, that speaker sound glitz was not there.

jpeps

#11 Post by jpeps »

kutalion wrote:It's independent from the OS? Then why the other dual-booted OS (Windows 7) doesn't have this beeps as it runs (at least not that commonly and only when trying to backspace more than the text field given)
If it's a BIOS warning beeping pattern, it would happen before the OS even loaded. You didn't mention it had anything to do with using the keyboard, which is something entirely different.

I had a desktop once that would emit about 6 spaced beeps at something like 30 second intervals. It took a while to figure out where the sound was coming from.

Woofer

#12 Post by Woofer »

Hello,

It's my 1st message here. I did not find a category for presentation, I hope I did not bypass any protocol ;-)

I have installed Puppy Linux Slacko 5.7 on my "old" and well-loved Sony Vaio FS115M (PCG-791M) and once installed and kernel loaded this strange noise happens (just after "Loading kernel" message).

I can play music through Puppy but the noise remains in background (let's say foreground because it's loud).

I've tried to install LinuxMint before and finally aborted because of this same noise + strange display too during setup. I have never heard this with Windows before.

I'm finally happy with Woof Woof but this noise is boring. Only solution at this time: plug a jack to prevent any sound exiting from the loudspeaker.

Notes:

1) I've installed Puppy Slacko 5.7 from the Wizard exe file found on this forum, directly from Windows XP...

2) No issues with boot on live Live CDs Slacko 5.5 and Slacko 5.7.

Edit:

Same issue with Slacko 5.5, Precise 5.7...

No issue with Precise 5.5 Japanese. Finally no issue with Precise 5.5 !