How do I upgrade from 5.1.0 to 5.1.1?

Using applications, configuring, problems
vinayv

How do I upgrade from 5.1.0 to 5.1.1?

#1 Post by vinayv »

Hello,
I'm posting on these forums after a loong time. I am a fairly advanced linux user and use linux as my primary desktop (even at work) for the past 7-8 years. Still, of all the distros, I love puppy more than anything else. I have been using puppy for many years now (since some 2.x release, I guess).

Recently, I downloaded the Lucid Puppy 5.1.0. I always do a full install (to an ext3 partition). Puppy works wonderfully well (thanks to everyone involved)

I noticed today that 5.1.1 has been released. The new .iso file as well as the delta file is available for download. I downloaded the delta file. It seems to patch and convert the lupu-510.iso to lupu-511.iso.. Now my question is, how do I upgrade from my 5.1.0 (full hd) installation to 5.1.1? I know that one straight forward way is to burn the new lupu-511.iso to a CD, boot from it and run the installer. The installer gives me the option to upgrade an existing installation. But is there a way to update my installation without burning a disc? I don't want to waste a blank CDR just to upgrade everytime a minor version is out.

I'm sure there is some simpler way that I am missing.. With puppy, there is always an easy way to do all things.. :-)

Regards,
Vinay V
bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I know that one straight forward way is to burn the new lupu-511.iso to a CD, boot from it and run the installer. The installer gives me the option to upgrade an existing installation.
That is the best way. I do not look at it as wasting a CD, but as making a backup of that version of Puppy Linux. If you do not want the disc, give it to someone to help them discover Puppy Linux.
Lupu 5.1.1 is starting to use the idea of down-loadable upgrades. See the news page by going to Quickpet>news
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/
paulhomebus

#3 Post by paulhomebus »

Hi vinayv,

If you have a frugal installation you can just extract the vmlinuz + lupu-511.sfs + initrd.gz from the new 511.iso (using isomaster) and replace your 510 files with them. - ( if you have the option/space just rename your old 510 files: ie vmlinuz-old + initrd.gz-old + lupu-510.sfs-old --- and backup your pupsave file - just to be on the safe side )

It will help if you to boot with another Puppy OS - ie boot from an old Puppy 4.x iso - cause then the files you are updating won't be in use! :D

Next time you boot into it it will update/upgrade your pusave file.

Paul