I need a bigger cursor

Using applications, configuring, problems
Snail

I need a bigger cursor

#1 Post by Snail »

I have trouble sometimes seeing the standard Puppy cursor. I prefer something just a bit bigger. That is the only change to Puppy's standard themes I will ever want. In my view the "Win98" look is pretty close to perfect for usability, except for the cursor. Why does it take a 41 Megabyte package to change a kilobyte or so of cursor icon? That' 1/3 to 1/2 of the size of a complete Puppy system! Is this not ridiculous?

I'd appreciate a smaller work-around if possible. Anyone know a hack for this.

I'd be interested if anyone knows why cursor-themes-1 is so enormous.
aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

curse on you.
jump

#3 Post by jump »

if you mean the cursor on the terminal, then try this terminal (you can change the font size)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49062

you may need to install the dependencies tat are given on the same page.
:)

if its the mouse cursor you want to change then there is a program called 'Pcur cursor selector' that can be found on your menu under desktop settings. (at least it can be found there on puppy lupu 5.1.1 !!)
sidders

#4 Post by sidders »

I used this in HSB. I have uploaded as i cant remember where it came from (in other words it is buried in the origonal HanSamBen thread).

http://www.filefront.com/17295319/big_cursor.tar.gz/

It extracts to /root/.icon (hidden folder)
Snail

Thank you

#5 Post by Snail »

Thanks sidders and also mikeb, who pm'ed me with a file.

jump, I know about Pcur. Unfortunately, Pcur prompts you to go to the PPM and download that huge 41meg lump.

I'm still curious about why on earth this terrific, super-compact distro has such a stupidly big solution to this small issue. Surely it needs looking at?