Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jonlowe

#481 Post by jonlowe »

jemimah wrote:Jonlowe, open up Xbindkeys (on the Desktop menu), and try to capture the keycodes for the keys that don't work. Then send them to me and I'll fix it in the next version.
Ok, Xbindkeys got Volume up and down to work. I didn't know that app was there, thanks! However, hitting the Sleep key (Fn+F1), Mute key (Fn+F6) with Get Key in Xbindkeys, doesn't capture anything. In fact, I have to crash out of Xbindkeys by closing the Get Key window since it doesn't capture the key. Capturing the Vol up and Vol down (Fn+F8 and Fn+F7) respectively does work (they were the same as defaults).

Is there any other way to capture the keys and and the lid closing action? Some other FN+ keys don't capture anything either.

Thanks!

Jon
jemimah

#482 Post by jemimah »

If the keys do not produce keycodes, then it's likely either they are acpi keys, or the kernel doesn't have a driver.

you can tell if they are acpi keys in the terminal like so:

Code: Select all

killall acpid
acpid -dl
Then press the keys and see if there is output in the terminal window. If yes send me this output and I'll make some adjustments to the acpi scripts.

If there is no acpi output, we need to figure out if there's an additional kernel module that should be compiled.
jonlowe

#483 Post by jonlowe »

Ok, did that. Got nothing from any of the keys in the terminal window, including the ones that work.

I do know in Windows, Averatec has a driver for something special, but they don't say what it is for. I think you figured out what! I doubt it would help you much, but I can get you a copy if you'd like.

Jon
jemimah wrote:If the keys do not produce keycodes, then it's likely either they are acpi keys, or the kernel doesn't have a driver.

you can tell if they are acpi keys in the terminal like so:

killall acpid
acpid -dl
Then press the keys and see if there is output in the terminal window. If yes send me this output and I'll make some adjustments to the acpi scripts.

If there is no acpi output, we need to figure out if there's an additional kernel module that should be compiled.
jemimah

#484 Post by jemimah »

Hmm, no the windows driver is not very useful.

It would be useful if you found a version of Linux that works on it we could see what driver they are using.

Also, Fluppy006 will have a newer kernel - maybe it'll have a newer better driver.
jonlowe

#485 Post by jonlowe »

Got this from Hardinfo:

Device Info:
Name Sleep Button
Type Keyboard
Bus 0x19
Vendor 0
Product 0x3
Version 0x0
Connected to PNP0C0E/button/input0

Name Lid Switch
Type Unknown
Bus 0x19
Vendor 0
Product 0x5
Version 0x0
Connected to PNP0C0D/button/input0

Does that help any for those two items.

Jon

jemimah wrote:Hmm, no the windows driver is not very useful.

It would be useful if you found a version of Linux that works on it we could see what driver they are using.

Also, Fluppy006 will have a newer kernel - maybe it'll have a newer better driver.
jemimah

#486 Post by jemimah »

Those are supposed to produce either keyboard or acpi events. If neither happens, I have no idea how to fix it.
Stripe

#487 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

fluppy 005 has passed another big test, my 10 year old daughter and wife now have it installed on their box as their main OS and are both very happy with it. (and they play some very resource intensive flash games, as well as always being on the net)

Well done Jemimah
Stripe

Has the recompiling of xfmedia done away with the russian?
jonlowe

#488 Post by jonlowe »

jemimah wrote:Those are supposed to produce either keyboard or acpi events. If neither happens, I have no idea how to fix it.
I tried to capture the acpi events in the terminal again, saw nothing, but went to the log file, and here is what I found:

Sep 26 16:17:23 (none) daemon.notice acpid: exiting
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.info acpid: starting up
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.debug acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/hotkey
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.debug acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/lid
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.debug acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/power
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.warn acpid: can't parse /etc/acpi/events/power at line 2
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.warn acpid: can't parse /etc/acpi/events/power at line 3
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.debug acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/sleep
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.info acpid: 4 rules loaded
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.info acpid: waiting for events: event logging is on
Sep 26 16:17:27 (none) daemon.notice acpid: client connected from 3794[0:0]
Sep 26 16:17:27 (none) daemon.info acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Sep 27 20:17:54 (none) user.warn kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xda on isa0060/serio0).
Sep 27 20:17:54 (none) user.warn kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e05a <keycode>' to make it known.
Sep 27 20:17:54 (none) user.warn kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xda on isa0060/serio0).
Sep 27 20:17:54 (none) user.warn kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e05a <keycode>' to make it known. 
I don't know what the warnings mean or how to "setkeycodes", but I'm willing to try.

Jon
edoc

#489 Post by edoc »

I needed to load a modern English Bible translation on my Netbook.

I found this: http://bible.org/download/netbible/NETBible2009.zip

Once unzipped into a folder open your Web browser -- in Seamonkey FILE-OpenFile then go to where you unzipped it and scroll down to Index.htm and double-click on that. You now will see the Bible on your pc.

There are a number of other versions of the NET Bible here:
http://bible.org/downloads (four of them are Linux-friendly)

The NET Bible was created by a translator's team for the express purpose of making it available for free in electronic form.

They have also included over 60,000 translator's notes.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603
jemimah

#490 Post by jemimah »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

fluppy 005 has passed another big test, my 10 year old daughter and wife now have it installed on their box as their main OS and are both very happy with it. (and they play some very resource intensive flash games, as well as always being on the net)

Well done Jemimah
Stripe

Has the recompiling of xfmedia done away with the russian?
It worked for me. You can test it and let me know.

Decompress the attachment and copy it over the top of /usr/bin/xfmedia.bin
Attachments
xfmedia.bin.gz
(127.55 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
jemimah

#491 Post by jemimah »

jonlowe wrote:
jemimah wrote:Those are supposed to produce either keyboard or acpi events. If neither happens, I have no idea how to fix it.
I tried to capture the acpi events in the terminal again, saw nothing, but went to the log file, and here is what I found:

Sep 26 16:17:23 (none) daemon.notice acpid: exiting
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.info acpid: starting up
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.debug acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/hotkey
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.debug acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/lid
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.debug acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/power
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.warn acpid: can't parse /etc/acpi/events/power at line 2
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.warn acpid: can't parse /etc/acpi/events/power at line 3
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.debug acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/sleep
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.info acpid: 4 rules loaded
Sep 26 16:17:26 (none) daemon.info acpid: waiting for events: event logging is on
Sep 26 16:17:27 (none) daemon.notice acpid: client connected from 3794[0:0]
Sep 26 16:17:27 (none) daemon.info acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Sep 27 20:17:54 (none) user.warn kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xda on isa0060/serio0).
Sep 27 20:17:54 (none) user.warn kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xda on isa0060/serio0).
I don't know what the warnings mean or how to "setkeycodes", but I'm willing to try.

Jon

This tutorial should work with Puppy.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Setkeycodes
jonlowe

#492 Post by jonlowe »

jemimah wrote:
jonlowe wrote:

(snip)

This tutorial should work with Puppy.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Setkeycodes
Arrrgh! Here is what I get with setscancode:

atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xda on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e05a <keycode>' to make it known.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xda on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e05a <keycode>' to make it known.
# setkeycodes 0xda 127
setkeycodes: can't set SCANCODE da to KEYCODE 127: Invalid argument
# setkeycodes 0xda 126
setkeycodes: can't set SCANCODE da to KEYCODE 126: Invalid argument
# setkeycodes 0xDA 127
setkeycodes: can't set SCANCODE da to KEYCODE 127: Invalid argument
# setkeycodes 0xda 121
setkeycodes: can't set SCANCODE da to KEYCODE 121: Invalid argument

As you can see, I'm getting Invalid argument. I have no clue what is invalid, and the tutorial doesn't tell me either.

Then I tried showkey. No matter what I use as an arguement, I always get this:

# showkey -a
showkey: KDGKBMODE: Invalid argument
# showkey -k
showkey: KDGKBMODE: Invalid argument
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Jon
ecube

VirtualBox

#493 Post by ecube »

Has anybody successfully installed VirtualBox from the petstore?

After installing http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.33 ... atched.sfs

my /var/log/vbox-install.log reads
  • make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
    test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
    echo; \
    echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
    echo " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
    echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
    echo; \
    /bin/false)
    mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
    make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
    gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-t2-linux-gnu/4.2.2/include -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2/arch/x86/include -Iinclude -include include/generated/autoconf.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Os -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i486 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fno-stack-protector -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -I/lib/modules/2.6.33.2/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(SUPDrv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/.tmp_SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
    In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
    from include/linux/slab.h:12,
    from /tmp/vbox.0/linux/../SUPDrvInternal.h:100,
    from /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:33:
    include/linux/mmzone.h:18:30: error: generated/bounds.h: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
    include/linux/mmzone.h:258:5: warning: "MAX_NR_ZONES" is not defined
    In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
    from include/linux/slab.h:12,
    from /tmp/vbox.0/linux/../SUPDrvInternal.h:100,
    from /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:33:
    include/linux/mmzone.h:300: error: 'MAX_NR_ZONES' undeclared here (not in a function)
    In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/the-linux-kernel.h:78,
    from /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:34:
    include/linux/mm.h:454:63: warning: "NR_PAGEFLAGS" is not defined
    include/linux/mm.h:502:62: warning: "NR_PAGEFLAGS" is not defined
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2

make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2
Stripe

#494 Post by Stripe »

jemimah wrote: It worked for me. You can test it and let me know.

Uncompressed it and copied it over the top of usr/bin/xfmedia.bin no problem but it then stopped working altogether. copied the original file back in and it was back to normal.
Thanks
Stripe
pemasu

#495 Post by pemasu »

Kernel Source: You can use Barry's 2.6.33.2 kernel source for Fluppy. The fluppy-specific kernel config file can be found in /etc/modules.

I think you need to replace the existing .config with one found from /etc/modules.
jemimah

Re: VirtualBox

#496 Post by jemimah »

ecube wrote:Has anybody successfully installed VirtualBox from the petstore?
That pet only has kernel modules for Puppeee 4.3. I will build the modules for Puppeee 4.4 and Fluppy once I'm happy with the kernel configuration.
jemimah

#497 Post by jemimah »

Stripe wrote:
jemimah wrote: It worked for me. You can test it and let me know.

Uncompressed it and copied it over the top of usr/bin/xfmedia.bin no problem but it then stopped working altogether. copied the original file back in and it was back to normal.
Thanks
Stripe
Hmm, I must have missed a dependency. The new version should be out tomorrow or the next day.
Stripe

#498 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Dont worry Jemimah its working fine now (no russian)
Guess who did not make it executable?
Didnt find out till I ran "ldd" and it told me I did not have permission.

Cheers
Stripe
jemimah

#499 Post by jemimah »

Here is gnash, an open source flashplayer replacement.

http://puppeee.com/files/pet/gnash-0.8.8-i486.pet
Stripe

#500 Post by Stripe »

With gnash do you just install the pet or do you have to remove flashplayer? and how can you check that you are using gnash?
Cheers
Stripe

Just getting code when clicking on link so had to save link as the file.

changed the swf file default in firefox/edit/preferences/aplications to use libgnashplugin.so and it seems to work but am still getting the adobe options when right clicking on a playing you tube video.
Have I installed it correctly?