How to use ZTE MF636 GPRS USB modem?

Dazed&Confused

How to use ZTE MF636 GPRS USB modem?

#1 Post by Dazed&Confused »

I did a full HDD installation of Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and so far, so good. It's an old laptop and it fits it really, really well! The trouble I'm having is with my USB modem. I followed the instructions I found here using the 3g_pupdial-wireless package I found hereand option-patched and usb-storage-ZTE patch found here.

It went well, I even did the little trick with Hyperterminal it mentioned successfully. But then when I typed pgprs-connect, where it did connect and find the correct DNS, but all the modem did was blink indefinitely. It never actually connected.

Next I tried installing JUST the aforementioned 3g_pupdial-wireless package (on a yet another fresh install). Same thing. It acquires the correct DNS address after the failed first attempt, but then just keeps on blinking. Am I doing something wrong?

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#2 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

I'm a Newbie with this stuff and I found it was a nightmare to get my GPRS Modem working in Puppy. I'm such a dummie with this stuff that when the Three instruction manual said to do this:

APN: Static and "3services"

that's exactly what I typed in. Turns out, all I needed to type in the APN field was 3services so why didn't Three make their instructions a bit clearer?

Have you tried plugging-in the Modem before you boot up?

Have you tried booting without the Modem, then plugging it in later?

As you try these things, click on the Mount button to see if Pmount can detect the GPRS Modem. On one of my ancient computers, Pmount can't see the Modem, but the Modem works anyway.

One last question: In PGPRS Setup, do you have /dev/ttyUSB0 set as the device?

Dazed&Confused

#3 Post by Dazed&Confused »

Thanks for replying so quickly. I have tried booting puppy with no modem plugged in and with it being plugged in, but the result is the same. I can not get it to connect and pmount doesn't see it in either case. As for device, it's set to /dev/ttyUSB3, everything else doesn't work.

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#4 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

I'm thinking it might be a good idea if you re-Posted this as a New Topic in the following section of the Puppy Linux Forum:

Forum Index / Advanced Topics / Hardware

Then one of the GPRS experts might be able to help you.

Dazed&Confused

#5 Post by Dazed&Confused »

looseSCREWorTWO wrote:I'm thinking it might be a good idea if you re-Posted this as a New Topic in the following section of the Puppy Linux Forum:

Forum Index / Advanced Topics / Hardware

Then one of the GPRS experts might be able to help you.
Will do, thanks!

rerwin

#6 Post by rerwin »

Dazed&Confused,
Please try the latest upgrade to 3G modem support. Starting with puppy 4.3.1, install the packages attached here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#388235
Then use only the "Internet by dialup analog or wireless modem" option and pupdial. If that does not work, please report the problem here and attach the file created when you run the command, pmodemdiag.

People have been struggling with some of the ZTE modems in puppy, so any help you can provide me should help me make progress on a solution. Thanks.
Richard

aracnachid

#7 Post by aracnachid »

rerwin

I recently aquired one of these modems and found it to work when the modem line of wvdial.conf was changed to "Modem = ttyUSB2
This is using 4.3.1 and with the bugfixes you directed me to on a previous thread.

When using the probe button it finds a modem at ttyUSB1 but my experiences are that if you try to connect using the ttyUSB1 port, when you do modify the modem entry line to ttytUSB2 it wont work. Who knows why.

I have two of these ZTE devices now and both are working in lucid and 4.3.1 but are abit touch and go at times. I suspect that on occasion usbmodeswitch fails to switch the device properly. What info can I send you to help make these devices abit more seemless in puppy as the are abit hard to get going.

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

I have mobile broadband from the norwegian company Netcom, which uses the ZTE MF636 USB modem stick that also has a 4Gb MicroSD memory slot. This linuxbox of mine has a 32 bit AMD Athlon 1200 Mhz, 512 Mb ram, with USB1(!), cannot remember what old mainboard. I have followed the various recipes for different pups to make it work, installing lots of pets to no effect, although one of them actually made the modem blink it's lights, but that was all. But right now I am using a live-cd with dpup484beta4-2.6.30.5 (love those beautiful dpups), and it works right 'out of the box' - well, almost.
When I plug in the modem, whether before or after booting, it comes up on the desktop with a CD icon as sr1. (if I had stored the text in connection wizard, it may have detected the modem on bootup as sdc/sdd, I haven't tried that). I mount sr1, and then unmount it again, and it disappears and after a little while it pops up again with a memory stick icon as sdc or sdd, depending upon which other drives I have mounted. I open the Internet connection wizard: Internet by wireless gprs modem, and see that it auto-detects /dev/ttyUSB0, which is total bullshit. I manually enters /dev/ttyUSB2, and then APN: internet.netcom.no, username: netcom, password: netcom, phone number: *99#, phone pin: yeah, right...
I then get that little dialog window that tells me to activate by going to 'PGPRS Connect' in the network menu. More bullshit, it doesn't exist! I guess it may be a daemon that make the PGPRS entries pop up in the menu, anyway they are not there. So I open a console window and just write 'pgprs-connect' and press enter, text start rolling- and this is what I get at the end of the first try:
local IP address 178.2xx.xxx.xxx
remote IP address 10.0.0.1
primary DNS address 10.11.12.13
secondary DNS address 10.11.12.14
disconnecting
So, the dialog promts me to write 'r' and enter for a retry, or enter to quit (and start over again). I have tried both with equal result, and this time it connects:
local IP address 89.x.xx.xxx
primary DNS address 212.1xx.xxx.xx
secondary DNS address 212.4x.xxx.xxx

Connection OK, blue light in modem indicating turbo 3G is active, ssh and Firefox is alive!

The SMS-function may or may not work - I don't know how to, I haven't tried the memory slot, mounting sdc bring up the useless Findus manual, and I don't think I have a way to access to the up/download log - haven't really bothered trying.

Running lsusb:
# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 19d2:0031 ONDA Communication S.p.A. ZTE MF636
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 059f:101a LaCie, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Closing the console or pressing Ctrl-c in the console window closes the connection again, so I just let it rest in the menuline instead.
I also tried it in Lupu_5.1.1 and quirky_1.2. When I looked at the files in dpup, lupu and quirky, there is a difference in the setup. In dpup484beta4 there is a file in ~/ named '3G_USB_modem_README.txt', and it tells that the code in usb-modeswitch.conf (about 1200 lines, commented out) has been included in /etc/udev/rules.d, here it is:

3G_USB_modem_README.txt:
Readme for usb_modeswitch-0.9.7, compiled Apr 22, 2009
=====================================================

The usb_modeswitch configuration file is /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf. It contains the configuration values and notes for various models of multiple-device USB modems to switch from "storage" to "modem" mode. That information has been integrated into udev rules files in /etc/udev/rules.d, with names beginning with 7n-udev-rules-usb_modemswitch. So the configuration file is included only for reference.

The "main" (51-) such rules file contains those rules for devices that are uniquely identified by their vendor and product IDs, and need not be edited. The others (those with 0x... in their names) each pertain to a particular vendor-product identifier value, but require user selection of only one of the rules in each. Each section shows a particular product name and the corresponding rule, which begins with #ACTION=="add". Remove the "#" from the rule for the description that matches your (USB, PC Card) 3G modem.
########################################################
Here is what is entered in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb_modeswitch-option-ZTE-Onda-0x19d2-0x2000.rules:
################## Needed in later kernels than 2.6.25.16 ##################
# ZTE MF628+ (tested version from Telia / Sweden)
# ZTE MF626
# ZTE MF633
# ZTE MF636 (aka "Telstra / BigPond 7.2 Mobile Card")

#SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2000", ATTRS{idVendor}=="19d2", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch.sh -v 0x%s{idVendor} -p 0x%s{idProduct} -V 0x19d2 -P 0x0031 -M '55534243123456782000000080000c85010101180101010101000000000000'"

The only thing happening when uncommenting the line starting with SUBSYSTEM=, is that the sdc icon comes up instead of the sr1 icon when I plug in the modem, meaning that usb-modeswitch has recognized it. Otherwise the same two connection attemps are needed to make the modem work.
Running from a live-cd, I don't bother to correct it permanently, I just mount/unmount sr1 to get the sdc/sdd icon.

Using live-cd with Lupu_511:
> pgprs-connect
/usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/gprsmm: unrecognized option '/dev/ttyUSB2'
unplug/replug:
nothing happens
The ZTE modem MF636 is not mentioned in /etc/udev/rules.d.
No matter what, if it did recognize the modem, I wouldn't have used that fugly, underdog lupu anyway.

Using live-cd with Quirky_1.2:
Added programs: coreutils-6.9-6-p4, usb-modeswitch-1.1.3-p4, (usb-modeswitch complaints about not finding 'who', which is part of coreutils full version, I think Quirky uses a 'light' version), modem comes up as sdc or sdd when attached after bootup.
I added the following text in /etc/usb-modeswitch.conf: (It is more or less the same content as in the text in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb_modeswitch-option-ZTE-Onda-0x19d2-0x2000.rules in the dpup484)
#######################################################
# ZTE MF628+ (tested version from Telia / Sweden)
#
# Contributor: Joakim Wennergren
#
# Also applies to MF627 (Tested 3 UK) JF
# Also applies to MF636 (Tested Netcom Norway)

DefaultVendor= 0x19d2
DefaultProduct= 0x2000

TargetVendor= 0x19d2
TargetProduct= 0x0031

MessageEndpoint=0x01
MessageContent="55534243123456782000000080000c85010101180101010101000000000000"
#######################################################

First attempt:
local IP address 178.2xx.xxx.xxx
primary DNS address 10.11.12.13
secondary DNS address 10.11.12.14
disconnecting
Second attempt:
local IP address 89.x.xx.xxx
primary DNS address 21x.xxx.xxx.xx
secondary DNS address 212.4x.xxx.xxx

Connection OK, turbo 3G

The bottom lines from /etc/ppp/peers/gprsmm in dpup484beta4 and quirky_1.2, when modem is up and running:

Serial device to which the GPRS phone is connected:
# /dev/ttyS0 for serial port (COM1 in Windows),
# /dev/ircomm0 # for IrDA,
# /dev/ttyUB0 # for Bluetooth (Bluez with rfcomm running) and
# /dev/ttyUSB0 # for USB
#/dev/ttyS0 # serial port one
#/dev/ttyS1 # serial port two
#/dev/ircomm0 # IrDA serial port one
#/dev/rfcomm0 # Bluetooth serial port one
user "netcom"
/dev/ttyUSB2

I also tried the Windoze recipe to activate/deactivate auto-find of the modem - AT+ZCDRUN=8 and 9 - no difference registered!
I don't know if anyone became wiser from these ramblings, but it may indicate to someone with more experience with pups than me, what is the easier way to do things.

A little comment on lupu511 and quirky 1.2 (and retro too...): The fugliest pups I have seen so far, awful mega puke material!

I stick to my delightful dpup484beta4-2.6.30.5, run from a multisession live-cd/dvd. (abiword is a bitch, geany can't decide if iso or utf is storeable, osmo need reinstall of libical to work, and some other issues, but that is small potatoes, it's gorgeous anyway...)

tallboy