Dual Band Wireless n

Using applications, configuring, problems
jonlowe

Dual Band Wireless n

#1 Post by jonlowe »

I've got a simultaneous dual band (2.4 and 5 ghz) wireless n card in my laptop. It shows my wireless router as two different routers, both with the same SSID, one on 2.4 and one on 5.0. The router is also simultaneous. I have the same WPA key on both. With Puppy Lucid 5.1.1, I can hook up to either the 2.4 or the 5 gHz band, but not both at the same time. Kind of defeats the purpose of the dual band card and router. Any solutions?

Should mention it is an Intel 5300 card, connection to a Linksys E3000 Wireless Router.

Jon
rjbrewer

Re: Dual Band Wireless n

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

jonlowe wrote:I've got a simultaneous dual band (2.4 and 5 ghz) wireless n card in my laptop. It shows my wireless router as two different routers, both with the same SSID, one on 2.4 and one on 5.0. The router is also simultaneous. I have the same WPA key on both. With Puppy Lucid 5.1.1, I can hook up to either the 2.4 or the 5 gHz band, but not both at the same time. Kind of defeats the purpose of the dual band card and router. Any solutions?

Should mention it is an Intel 5300 card, connection to a Linksys E3000 Wireless Router.

Jon
Don't buy every new gimmick that comes along.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10103870-1.html

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
jonlowe

Re: Dual Band Wireless n

#3 Post by jonlowe »

I HAVE both the router and the card to support both. You CAN get faster speeds with both enabled. And they do work under Win 7. Just trying to get them to work together under Puppy. Have anymore useless comments?

Jon
rjbrewer wrote:
jonlowe wrote:I've got a simultaneous dual band (2.4 and 5 ghz) wireless n card in my laptop. It shows my wireless router as two different routers, both with the same SSID, one on 2.4 and one on 5.0. The router is also simultaneous. I have the same WPA key on both. With Puppy Lucid 5.1.1, I can hook up to either the 2.4 or the 5 gHz band, but not both at the same time. Kind of defeats the purpose of the dual band card and router. Any solutions?

Jon
Don't buy every new gimmick that comes along.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10103870-1.html
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

I don't think the purpose of a dual band router is to use both bands simultaneously.
I don't see the advantage for this.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
jonlowe

#5 Post by jonlowe »

Béèm wrote:I don't think the purpose of a dual band router is to use both bands simultaneously.
I don't see the advantage for this.
Big advantage is an increase in connection speed. If implemented properly, the two bands can combine their data capabilities and move more data faster. Or, you can use them separately, to move video on one band, and data on another. Lots of possibilities.

Jon
tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

I've never heard of combining both AP's of a dual band router with the same SSID.
It's an interesting idea, but after some browsing on the web I warn that the outcome is likely not to be shared throughput as you have proposed.

There are, indeed, settings within a dual band router for channel bonding, but this sharing of bandwidth is within the same band (and its associated SSID) not between different bands.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but it appears to me that Puppy quite correctly sees 2 different Access Points, even though they have the same SSID. The connection can be to one, or the other. This configuration is most useful for COVERAGE, where the client (Puppy in this case) can jump from one AP to another in different areas when signal quality varies.

There's a useful discussion of N mode configurations here
http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-inter ... 55319.html
particularly relating to channel bonding.

but the really significant comment is here -
http://eduncan911.com/blog/the-truth-about-802-11n.aspx
I have noticed that a lot of users tend to set both radios to the same SSID. This is bad, as the default for 802.11n is to default to the 2.4Ghz radio - therefore not getting the benefits of the 5.8Ghz clearer range.
thefloyd

RE: dual band wireless n

#7 Post by thefloyd »

You're misunderstanding what dual band means from the client side. There is no such thing as a _simultaneous_ dual band client.

Devices do not "bridge" 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios to simultaneously transmit on both. Routers/APs offer simultaneous dual band networks and clients decide *which one* is the best in terms of signal strength, interference, etc. In fact most routers have completely separate hardware stacks (radios at least, sometimes separate *CPUs* as well) running the different bands.

When closer to the AP, 5ghz should win out - but when stretching the connection most devices fall over to 2.4ghz.