One VERY BRIEF Question

Booting, installing, newbie
rian

One VERY BRIEF Question

#1 Post by rian »

Can I iso-bust Puppy Live CD 5.1.1. to slipstream in a linux flavor of my wifi driver?

All searches for slipstream bring up XP, but will look harder if this is possible. Puppy Live CD boots and even finds my LAN, but when I supply WEP key it won't connect. I noticed the Puppy driver for my device seems to be 802.11n, but my router is 802.11g, and my wifi card supports either. So I downloaded a Linux driver for it, but then could not figure out how to get to it or install it once inside Puppy. Hence... the slipstream query. Thanks and sorry for my newbiness and not being able to find this answer.

Acer Aspire 4530
AMD 64-bit processor
3GB RAM
Atheros WiFi LAN AR5B91

rian

D'oh!

#2 Post by rian »

Never mind. I use WPA, not WEP!! ... will try again... maybe it will work!

rian

SOLVED

#3 Post by rian »

Yes, it was my own idiocy!

I am impressed I got on so easily. I'd read it was going to be a nightmare. Puppy designers have done a great job!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Welcome to the kennels :)

Your capacity to ask and answer
your own questions is a trend to be encouraged :wink:

Puppy
Smart Linux
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rian

#5 Post by rian »

LOL and thanks for the welcome. :) I am completely inept, having used Linux for all of a few hours.

I have one more very stupid question that I spent at least 45 min Googling in vain... what does the square icon mean in the system tray, that is next to the clock display? It starts off gray and sometimes becomes red? At first I thought it was a traffic display, then a temp indicator... All the other icons have a balloon on the mouseover, so I know I must be especially thick to not be able to figure this one out!!

Shep

#6 Post by Shep »

rian wrote:what does the square icon mean in the system tray, that is next to the clock display? It starts off gray and sometimes becomes red?
It's a pretty [useless] distraction. :twisted: It's a measure of your expectations of the CPU. :x Or not, depending how you want to state it. Here, read for yourself: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28483

Enjoy! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

rian

#7 Post by rian »

Thanks so much, Shep! I've got a lot of learnin' to do!

I have a question about that little gizmo and what happened to my Puppy yesterday, so wiill start a new appropriately-named thread, now that I know what it's called! :) (And I also learned it's not a "system tray" either!) :)

Have to learn Puppy-speak!