Firefox Installed But Won't Appear IN Menu [SOVLED]

Booting, installing, newbie
rian

Firefox Installed But Won't Appear IN Menu [SOVLED]

#1 Post by rian »

Jeeeeze... Had FF setup with my fave theme and a couple add-ons... starting to feel a little at home in Puppy 5.1.1..... went to Pakage Installer and uninstalled older FF, (cause two versions were present from an update I did, and am on a 4GB USB stick and didn't want both) but it UNinstalled both FFs! (Which I was afraid it might do.) So I downloaded FF again through the Browse icon (took me awhile to get FF to show again as a possible app to download) and it said it installed but it won't show up in the menu. Tried "fixmenus" command line. Made no diff. Tried reinstalling, made no diff, even though every time I get the green arrow that everything went fine and it is installed and should appear in the menu. (I just HAD to preen it!)

PS Also tried restarting/rebooting

Edit few min later:
Was able to track down the main folder of firefox, and clicked on what looked to be the executable, and it started and is working fine, but still doesn't appear in the menu.
Last edited by rian on Thu 07 Oct 2010, 21:52, edited 3 times in total.

DaveS

Re: Firefox Installed But Won't Appear IN Menu

#2 Post by DaveS »

rian wrote:Jeeeeze... Had FF setup with my fave theme and a couple add-ons... starting to feel a little at home in Puppy 5.1.1..... went to Pakage Installer and uninstalled older FF, (cause two versions were present from an update I did, and am on a 4GB USB stick and didn't want both) but it installed both FFs! (Which I was afraid it might do.) So I downloaded FF again through the Browse icon (took me awhile to get FF to show again as a possible app to download) and it said it installed but it won't show up in the menu. Tried "fixmenus" command line. Made no diff. Tried reinstalling, made no diff, even though every time I get the green arrow that everything went fine and it is installed and should appear in the menu. (I just HAD to preen it!)

PS Also tried restarting/rebooting

Edit few min later:
Was able to track down the main folder of firefox, and clicked on what looked to be the executable, and it started and is working fine, but still doesn't appear in the menu.
OK. This means that the .desktop file has been deleted. This SHOULD be located at /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop. This is the file that the menu entry is created from. Check to see if you have it. If not, post back and I will upload you a self installing .pet for it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rian

Re: Firefox Installed But Won't Appear IN Menu

#3 Post by rian »

DaveS wrote: OK. This means that the .desktop file has been deleted. This SHOULD be located at /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop. This is the file that the menu entry is created from. Check to see if you have it. If not, post back and I will upload you a self installing .pet for it.
There IS a file called "firefox.desktop" there, but looks like a text file icon. When I click on it, a window opens with nothing in it.

I'm not sure what view to use for Linux... in W7 I don't use icons... only File/Details (from old days in DOS). So I am not sure what I am seeing in Linux yet and am unfamiliar with the file extensions.

Meanwhile, I copied the Firefox executable to desktop, then downloaded a FF 32x32 png icon and associated it. So at least I have a FF icon on the desktop.... BUT Midori till thinks it is the default browser, even though I have FF set as default.

What would I do without you here tonight, DaveS? I tried to get on sooner to answer you, but the site appeared to be down a few minutes or something.... could not connect but all other sites worked.

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

OK, I will upload you a .pet. First, where is the executable you click on to load Firefox (the path). Usually /usr/lib/firefox. I have to set this in the .desktop file. I will also upload a defaultbrowser file so it re-sets it to Firefox.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rian

#5 Post by rian »

The path you listed is correct.

Something a little bizarre just happened. I downloaded GIMP from the Pet Pkg Offerings, and upon installing it opened a FF readme file! I hadn't clicked on anything... was just waiting for the program to install...

So I read the file contents, then closed it, and beneath it on the desktop was an open folder: /mnt/home/firefox which contains:

/program
browse
readme
start
and a png icon

What is so weird is that I don't know what prompted it to pop up... and just when we are talking about FF!? Seems like GIMP installing caused it to pop open... but that doesn't make sense.

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

Sometimes installations pop up a readme automatically to force you to be aware of it as part of the installation process. It obviously found Firefox, which means Firefox must be on the 'path', so again, it sounds like a corrupt .desktop file.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rian

#7 Post by rian »

DaveS wrote:OK, I will upload you a .pet. First, where is the executable you click on to load Firefox (the path). Usually /usr/lib/firefox. I have to set this in the .desktop file. I will also upload a defaultbrowser file so it re-sets it to Firefox.
I think you're right about the corrupted desktop file (somewhere) because when I shut down last night it hung on saving everything to the file. I waited at least 5 minutes -- the mem stick hadn't had any activity since the first minute or two and the screen just said "saving to [my save file]......." so I finally did a hard shut down.

This morning when I booted, I got the "system did not shut down properly last time" options, chose to ignore, and it looks like most everything was saved except for some bookmarks I'd added at the end of the night.

rian

DaveS ??

#8 Post by rian »

DaveS wrote:OK, I will upload you a .pet. First, where is the executable you click on to load Firefox (the path). Usually /usr/lib/firefox. I have to set this in the .desktop file. I will also upload a defaultbrowser file so it re-sets it to Firefox.
Would still like these if poissible. Midori still thinks it is the default browser so something is still rotten in Denmark. :)

DaveS

Re: DaveS ??

#9 Post by DaveS »

rian wrote:
Would still like these if poissible. Midori still thinks it is the default browser so something is still rotten in Denmark. :)
No problem but to make it work I need the path to your Firefox executable.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rian

#10 Post by rian »

Oops! Sorry to have PMd last time!

The path is as you suggested above: "Usually /usr/lib/firefox" ...!

THANKS DaveS!

DaveS

#11 Post by DaveS »

OK, this should do it. Install the .pet, run fixmenus in a terminal, then re-start JWM, menu>shutdown>restart jwm
That should correct the default browser and give you a menu entry for Firefox. It will also install the correct icon.

Oops... had to re-upload, previous version corrupted.
Attachments
firefoxdesktop.pet
(6.32 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Last edited by DaveS on Thu 07 Oct 2010, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

rian

#12 Post by rian »

DaveS wrote:OK, this should do it. Install the .pet, run fixmenus in a terminal, then re-start JWM, menu>shutdown>restart jwm
That should correct the default browser and give you a menu entry for Firefox. It will also install the correct icon.
One small thing... I am running icewm... that won't make a diff, will it? Just do as you say, substituting icewm for jwm?

DaveS

#13 Post by DaveS »

rian wrote:
DaveS wrote:OK, this should do it. Install the .pet, run fixmenus in a terminal, then re-start JWM, menu>shutdown>restart jwm
One small thing... I am running icewm... that won't make a diff, will it? Just do as you say, substituting icewm for jwm?
Should be fine. NOTE re-download the .pet. First one was faulty
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rian

#14 Post by rian »

You're a genius DaveS! Worked great! FF now appears in menu, and is also set as default.

For anyone else who might need this pet and apply it, when I applied it I got 2 popups. One was the green shield with checkmark saying everything installed great and to click OK. The other popup was an error msg saying "file doesn't exist or can't access it: /mnt/home/firefox/"

I don't know if it would make any diff, but I clicked OK on the first popup that said everything went good, and got the gold message box saying to hang on a sec while the menu was updated. After that was done I clicked away the error box... (then did the terminal fixmenus and re-started IceWM).

Thanks so much DaveS!! :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#15 Post by Béèm »

rian, for the sake of fellow posters, can you edit the subject of your initial post and put [SOLVED] at the end.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rian

#16 Post by rian »

Done! Sorry, I forgot about that!

THANKS AGAIN!