Kernel Panic - not syncing:

Using applications, configuring, problems
zaddik9

Kernel Panic - not syncing:

#1 Post by zaddik9 »

I've installed lupu-511 on a usb stick and booted on my dell 2200 laptop. Everything worked fine and I proceeded to configure it and eventually save the configuration to the save file lupusave-dell2200.2fs on sda1, a harddrive partition. Since then, every time I boot the system I get the following boot messages and the system hangs.

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives...........done
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives.....done
Loading personal file /lupusave-dell2200.2fs (sda1)...
'save file' filesystem check, plesae wait..................done
Loading 'lupu-511.sfs' main file... copying to ram done
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I tried to use 'puppy pfix=fsck' to verify the save file integrity but gotten the same result. Is there a way I can remove the lupusave-dell2200.2fs from sda1 partition? I can't see the file structure on sda1 and don't know what causes the kernel panic.

I've remade the usb stick but still gets the same result. That lead me to believe the save file is the culprit but how do I get around it? I would really like to remove the save file lupusave-dell2200.2fs from my hard drive partition sda1 but am lost to what is necessary to accomlish it.
racepres

#2 Post by racepres »

Don't know what that darn "synch-ing" panic means... But, I seem to get it when drives are mis-identified... like if i were to put "sda1" instead of "hda1" in the grub menu.lst. or vise verse!
Don't know if that helps or not... but it has been my experience.
RP
lapis

#3 Post by lapis »

The save file and lupu-511.sfs should both be in the root directory or both in the same subdirectory specified in the bootloader with psubdir=

Also bootloaders like Grub refer to drives differently to Linux. Things can get confusing when removable devices like USB drives are involved. Grub will call the boot device (hd0,0) but Linux might decide to call it SDB1 on one occasion and SDA1 on another.

You can delete, copy and rename save files just like any other files. For example, rename it with a .bak at the end and it will be ignored.
zaddik9

#4 Post by zaddik9 »

Thanks tothe input from both of you: racepres and lapis. I finally was able to fix my problem with the Kernel Panic - not syncing. What I did was to boot up my Dell2200 in Ubuntu and mounted the sda1 volume which happens to be the DellUtility volume. The file Lupusave-dell2200.2fs was in the volume and I was able to remove it. And since the Lupu bootload process didn't find a save file on the hard drive, it went on to boot as it should.
zaddik9

#5 Post by zaddik9 »

Thanks tothe input from both of you: racepres and lapis. I finally was able to fix my problem with the Kernel Panic - not syncing. What I did was to boot up my Dell2200 in Ubuntu and mounted the sda1 volume which happens to be the DellUtility volume. The file Lupusave-dell2200.2fs was in the volume and I was able to remove it. And since the Lupu bootload process didn't find a save file on the hard drive, it went on to boot as it should.
racepres

#6 Post by racepres »

Glad you got 'er to go!
As an aside, In the process of "upgrading" a friends ancient windoze box, I found another example....
The hdd was kaput, no biggie I thinks... OOps!
I was putting in MacPup 2.0, and got that synch error everytime.. Until I put an old beater [but functional] hdd into it, and what do ya know... Booted right up.
Shouldn't be so, I don't think... But, I can repeat it at will..
RP