Compiling a driver using "make" in puppy 511?

Booting, installing, newbie
bwh1969

Compiling a driver using "make" in puppy 511?

#1 Post by bwh1969 »

I am trying to build a realtek wifi driver... not an issue for me since I have been using linux derivatives for 8+ years.

I have the lupu_devx_511.sfs file loading at boot and the command make is available, but when I enter the untarred directory

Code: Select all

# cd /tmp/rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0018.1025.2010
# make
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2
# 
So it looks like I also need header files? I went to the package manager but I don't see anything of the sort. I assumed it would be in the devx.sfs file and would mount in the appropriate place.
DanYHKim

Why is it so hard to find the kernel source header files?

#2 Post by DanYHKim »

It's harder than hell to find a direct link to the kernel source .sfs file when there's a new puppy distribution that comes out. Why is this? I mean, when there is a new distro announcement, it includes a link to the devx_xxx.sfs file and the puppy_whatever.iso file, but almost never the kernel_src-x.x.xxx.x.sfs file! I mean, you need the kernel source when you are using the devx_xxx.sfs, or you can't compile kernel-specific modules for anything! It makes sense that they should both be made easily available!

I am in a ranting mood, as you can see.

So, for Lucid Pup 5.1.0, there is a post by robert1968 that has this link:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59160

It took forever to find this, and a lot of fruitless searching. This is a real drag

He says:
download kernel source sfs for puppy kernel_src-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs
from here: http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.33.2/ (usrname:puppy password linux)

So, why is this so hard? I'm just shouting at the wind, here, of course. I really should rant about this on the new distro announcement post, instead.

Going there now . . . .
bwh1969

#3 Post by bwh1969 »

Thanks for the info and yes, it is annoying: why can't they just have the sfs mount a symlink in /lib/ called.... "source" or "build?" I had spent an inordinate amount of time researching this before posting here. I generally know how to find the things I need in Linux!
bwh1969

#4 Post by bwh1969 »

I built the package very easily after doing what your post said:-) That rocks. I did not have time to do a "make install" yet but the build went with no errors.

I was using ndiswrapper, and it works well, so I probably should not mess with it, so I will copy my save.sfs file to another drive as a backup.

I do like to use native drivers, as most are able to change the power to the device such that some battery is conserved.

I suspect the Realtek r8192se_pci driver will be built in to the next kernel. It has gone that way since ubuntu karmic (it just appeared in the Lucid kernel).
DanYHKim

A different .sfs for 5.1.1?

#5 Post by DanYHKim »

I just read a post about a different kernel-src.sfs located at:

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lupu_ke ... atched.sfs

This may be more appropriate for 5.1.1. I think the one I referenced previously is for 5.1.0

Perhaps the difference is not relevant to your project, and that's why it worked. I have not been able to get VMware Player 3.1.2 to compile its modules using the kernel src .sfs file that I had previously referenced, while it does work with the one I refer to here.

So, you lucked out.

===
I reiterate: It is a real pain that there is not a direct link to the correct kernel_src_xxx.sfs file in the distro announcement, along with the devx_xxx.sfs and puppy_xxx.iso links. This is a source of frustration for me, and confusion for people who are starting out with Puppy. A major usability issue!
bwh1969

#6 Post by bwh1969 »

I can't get the successfully made module to "insmod"

It does not "modprobe" on the next boot... and ndiswrapper keeps loading, even with the win driver removed (ndiswrapper -r).

I thougth maybe ndiswrapper is interfering, but that does not make complete sense unless it is still linking to wlan0. I am not sure how to clear it out and blacklist it in Puppy?