Bugs on Lucid Puppy 511

Please post any bugs you have found
r_e_h

Bugs on Lucid Puppy 511

#1 Post by r_e_h »

1. HD install on sda4, when active, touches files on Debris/Debian install on sda2. THIS IS BAD ENGINEERING.

2. Frugal sda1 and HD sda4 pick up the sda1 save sfs. This severely limits development possibilities (no multiple intalls)

3. Universal installer fails to cp initrd.gz which causes HD install to bomb. This is SILLY.

4. Both installs give Grub Error 18 (unless you use grb4dos). THIS IS A PUPPY ISSUE. The Debris/Debian boots in the same environment as the Puppy Frugal and succeeds with GRUB ONLY.

5. Pet Installer is very fragile when attempting to use Ubuntu dnlds. Needless cycling and no error handling. A full install of dpkg and apt on the HD install would do wonders for development potential.

6. Whatever Puppy is doing with the system clock wonks it for every other boot on the box.

Best Fishes,
R

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Using your numbering,

1 What does "touching" mean?
2 Does using pdev1=sda1 and pdev1=sda4 not work?
3 You can easily copy it?
4 No comment
5 No comment
6 Presumably "wonks" is a precise technical term?

Have you been drinking like a wish?

Wery best regards

James C

#3 Post by James C »

Welcome to the forum. :)

1.) I don't really know what you mean by "touching" either. However, I have Debris and about 20 Puppy installs happily co-existing on my old P3 test box.I have experienced none of the installs accessing any of the other installs or mounting partitions.
2.) I have Windows,Debris, Slitaz along with 5 full Puppy installs and 15 Puppy frugal installs on the test box....as many as 8 frugals on the same partition. Multiple installs are not really a problem.
3.)Not a common occurance.
4.)I boot all of the above installs with good old legacy Grub...... not a Puppy problem.
5.)always room for improvement.
6.)Damn, when I boot Debris it messes up my Puppy clocks. :) Known issue......Ubuntu (Debris is based on Ubuntu) and Puppy use different methods to set the time so they don't co-exist very well.

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

In regard to having more than one version of Puppy on a hard drive partition, I have lately bypassed the installer and made my own frugal installs for Puppy versions.
You can do this if you have a menu.lst file.
First, create a directory for the Puppy version.
Next, click on the downloaded ISO file for the version you want.
Open the directory you created for the version of Puppy and copy the initrd.gz, vmlinux, and the SFS file to it.
click on the ISO file again to unmount it.
Open menu.lst in a text editor and add the Puppy version

It should look something like this for Puppy 511.

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy 511 frugal in sdb4 dir pup511
root (hd1,3)
kernel /pup511/vmlinuz pmedia=sdb4 psubdir=pup511
initrd /pup511/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends

You will have to modify the root line to point to the appropriate hard drive/partition and the pup511 to the partition you made.
Save the file and reboot.
You should then have an entry to boot Puppy 511 from the hard drive.
To add other versions of Puppy go through the above steps and modify as necessary.