Die! NTFS.

News, happenings
Sage

Die! NTFS.

#1 Post by Sage »

Today, Barry writes:
"The 2.6.16.7 kernel supports safe writing to NTFS partitions"
and tells us:
"Puppy2 now has full NTFS write-support enabled".
Why, Barry, why?! You may be an undisputed genius, but it's always been my view that those using XP & NTFS deserve all they get - utter perversity. It would be better that we expend our efforts on killing it. This guy doesn't need any encouragement from the Linux community. Give him an inch and he'll be resurrecting his appalling NewFS project or whatever fancy name his marketing department dreams up. That, the world can do without. Another vista too far...
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

:)

Kalm down! kalm down! (horse tranquillisers available on request)

I suppose because people are using NTFS so we can support it. Just as we have support for some winmodems . . . you know it makes sense 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Ho! Ho! Ho!
Seems as if someone's got my number....
BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Sage,
I would very much like to ignore everything Microsoft!
Unfortunately, this problem with NTFS is one of the major difficulties
people have when they want to evaluate Puppy.
Thus, we are not really sucumbing to MS, we are making the way easier
for people to migrate to Puppy!
Besides, it's not such a bad idea that Puppy can be a cuckoo, hatching little
puppy ext2 files inside NTFS partitions!
MU's virtual hard drive system will also benefit from NTFS-writability.
Nathan F

#5 Post by Nathan F »

And I can finally make my Puppy "Borg Edition", Bill will be assimilated.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...
Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

OK, Barry. But it would be better if folk threw their PCs in a Florida lake and they were assimilated into Puppy hybrids.
Perhaps 'Invasion' hasn't reached all parts of the globe yet? Here's a clue: watch out for yellow lights in the water. You have been warned.

Good thinking, Nate. Do we get to ogle Ms Ryan, then?
raffy

Techies

#7 Post by raffy »

I've seen well-meaning techies recommend NTFS for WinXP, so this means more people are getting a major block to using Linux - its lack of write capability to NTFS. Am glad that this is finally moved out of the way :D
sunburnt

#8 Post by sunburnt »

Yes; this fix took the Linux community a while to produce.
A file system shouldn't be that difficult to work out, I think that this is no coincidence but by design.
Understanding this I'm sure Uncle Bill is planning another round of "one ups man ship" to ensnarl Linux.
Windows like the U.S gov. has long been a beast that serves itself, a dinosaur waiting for a meteor.
Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

I've added you to my list of thoroughly decent, well-informed country cousins, sunny.........
[PS everything isn't rosy on this side, either!]
Leon

#10 Post by Leon »

A power of Puppy is in its flexibility.

I see safe writing to NTFS partitions as significant improvement.
jcagle

#11 Post by jcagle »

es; this fix took the Linux community a while to produce.
A file system shouldn't be that difficult to work out, I think that this is no coincidence but by design.
Understanding this I'm sure Uncle Bill is planning another round of "one ups man ship" to ensnarl Linux.
Windows like the U.S gov. has long been a beast that serves itself, a dinosaur waiting for a meteor.
At least as far as software goes, we have a choice. US citizens don't have much choice when it comes to paying taxes.
Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Choice is an illusion for the majority of joe public.
Mathiasdm

Re: Die! NTFS.

#13 Post by Mathiasdm »

Sage wrote:Today, Barry writes:
"The 2.6.16.7 kernel supports safe writing to NTFS partitions"
and tells us:
"Puppy2 now has full NTFS write-support enabled".
Why, Barry, why?! You may be an undisputed genius, but it's always been my view that those using XP & NTFS deserve all they get - utter perversity. It would be better that we expend our efforts on killing it. This guy doesn't need any encouragement from the Linux community. Give him an inch and he'll be resurrecting his appalling NewFS project or whatever fancy name his marketing department dreams up. That, the world can do without. Another vista too far...
Please, don't go that way. Don't sound like a fanboy.
Please, just be a Linux enthousiast, but don't talk about 'killing XP and NTFS'. It gives Linux users a bad name.
Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

Isn't the Net wonderful? It permits everyone to express their opinion openly and freely?! Bet there's a whole bunch of politicians and nouveau riche who don't care for this.....
pythoncoder

#15 Post by pythoncoder »

I wish I understood why some Linux enthusiasts get so angry about Microsoft. Linux and Windows are just tools for doing a job. Both, it seems to me, have good points and bad points.

I love the concept of open source, and have no desire to make Bill Gates any richer. However, there is no getting away from the fact that Linux requires a great deal more IT knowledge to make it work. An example: getting Wifi to work on a Windows PC took me five minutes, as against five days and five different wireless adaptors in Puppy. I had a similar struggle three years ago trying to burn CD's under Red Hat, a task which was totally routine under Windows.

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux in general and Puppy in particular. But I also like command prompts; I'm a programmer who first used computers in 1968. For those who are a bit newer to the game, I can see why they use Windows.

Pete
Trobin

#16 Post by Trobin »

David vs Goliath syndrome. :lol:

Rightly or wrongly Gates made a success of himself and thus a target.

Not that Windows is the be-all and end-all of OS but it is a huge target.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Windows isn't all bad. Its market dominance provided a default standard for application developers which ultimately led to the use of computers by people who would have otherwise never considered their use. We should acknowledge a debt to Microsoft, for inadvertently providing so much hardware that Linux can use, and so many applications that demonstrate what a computer can be used for. :lol:

As for NTFS, it never gave me any trouble; nor has any other filesystem as far as I know.
Sit Heel Speak

#18 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I second what Flash says, and besides, you've got to admit that

RECEPTIONIST -- on call PT, exp'd with MS Office and QuickBooks, knowledge of Photoshop a plus...

is a more dignified want-ad than

RECEPTIONIST -- on call PT, exp'd with OOOrg, Wine, and Puppy Money, knowledge of the Gimp a plus... :?
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Wed 03 May 2006, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Yaverot

#19 Post by Yaverot »

But I like my receptionist to wine about gimp. ;-)

And using the time-clock program at the last place I worked allows me to state "I have experience with OS/2." Even though the system only was used to multitask DOS apps on a 486.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks
Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

Today, Barry writes:
"......I'm fed up with NTFS...."
Not sure that the EU is going help, either, Barry - too much money in the pot, too many greedy accolytes with their snouts in the trough.
Seems like all the very best advice I collected from gurus over two decades, the equally half-cocked success by the USDoJ and my own worst fears have proved correct. Messing around with a lunatic like Gates brings special rewards. Read, in his own words, in his own book, the despicable way he treated his infant sister - portent of the future, indeed.
Die, NTFS!