Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smil99

#661 Post by smil99 »

Beem wrote about Frisbee pet:
Do I understand well, you tried it in Lucid 5.2?
Yes, it works in Lucid 5.2 at least at my end.

Cheers.

DM was on fire!

#662 Post by DM was on fire! »

Béèm, that looks similar to the way Synaptic Package Manager works on Ubuntu.
I'd feel it's safe to delete it in all honesty, especially if it's a .txt file.

Excited to try the new version :) I'm still running the beta. I almost don't want to change because I love the beta so much!
May I ask how you'd go about an upgrade? Basically back up your savefile, do a frugal install and then place it back on the thumb drive? Or is that too simple? lol

alec78

Frugal Installs

#663 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,

This is my second attempt at this post, tried last night but the upload failed.

@bigpup
I concur with your comment re frugal updates. I tried an update of a frugal 511 install on my old Dell Latitude LS to 520. Did a pfix=ram boot, copied over the new files from 520 and edited the menu,lst file. Shut down and then booted up again, all seemed to go well except for no sound. Retrovol and ALSA failed to cure the sound problem. I then inserted a memory dongle and this was not recognised nor could it be mounted. At this I shut down, did a fresh pfix=ram boot, zapped the save file, shut down and re-booted. All is now working fine with the exception of sound, used retrovol but sound is not persistant. Just used ALSA to bring up the sound we will see if sound now is consistent,

@playdayz
Besides congrats on 520, I really think you should put some caveat on postings of new versions of chrome. Following a previous instance of lauding the latest version of chrome I did an update. This well and truly borked chrome. With each new version chrome seems to be getting more and more resource hungry. The old Dell can run nothing newer than chrome/iron5.

Cheers

Jades

#664 Post by Jades »

DM was on fire! wrote:May I ask how you'd go about an upgrade? Basically back up your savefile, do a frugal install and then place it back on the thumb drive? Or is that too simple? lol
Backing up before doing any sort of upgrade is always sensible. The manual method of updating involves basically replacing the existing initrd.gz, vmlinuz and the sfs file in a frugal with the new versions from the CD or ISO. The alternative method is to do a brand new frugal install and copy the save file to its directory. On a hard drive, assuming you have the space for multiple frugal installs, the advantage of the latter method is that you still have the known working frugal install as a backup in case something goes wrong with the upgrade.

On my K6 2 500 machine, the main Puppy install is a Full Install of 511 to an ext2 partition, and I also have a frugal of 511, a fresh frugal of 520 and an experimental frugal of 520 which was to test upgrading to 520 using a save from 511.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

jump

#665 Post by jump »

hello,
I have just downloaded puppy lupu 5.2 and all seems to be working well except the blender i have installed from the ppm seems to be missing the library libavutil.so.49. I have the devx sfs and xorg high installed. the python interpreter works.
thanks
:)

DM was on fire!

#666 Post by DM was on fire! »

Thanks for your help Jade. :) I figured that's what would be done but I wanted to make sure.
I might do this on my other thumb drive first; then if all goes well, continue using it.

Thank you again.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#667 Post by Béèm »

DM was on fire! wrote:Béèm, that looks similar to the way Synaptic Package Manager works on Ubuntu.
I'd feel it's safe to delete it in all honesty, especially if it's a .txt file.

Excited to try the new version :) I'm still running the beta. I almost don't want to change because I love the beta so much!
May I ask how you'd go about an upgrade? Basically back up your savefile, do a frugal install and then place it back on the thumb drive? Or is that too simple? lol
My install is a FRUGAL using the Lin'N'Win methodIn this way I don't touch my XP installation.
Also my applications are outside the save file, which serves only to hold the config information, so I keep it low, like 32MB.
Therefor I always start with a fresh save file.
But playdayz has written it's ok to upgrade.

Boot from the new version with puppy pfix=ram
Once at the desktop copy your existing save file.
If you want to play it save create a new directory for the new version.
Copy the files from the CD in it.
Also copy the saved save file in it.
Make a new entry in menu.lst for the new version.
Reboot but don't make a save file.
In grub select the new installed version.
The upgrade should be done now.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

artifus

#668 Post by artifus »

ignore me

playdayz

#669 Post by playdayz »

Barry has made a pet of VLC 1.1.5 (Lucid has 1.0.5)
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02070

Also a Scribus 1.3.7 (Lucid has 1.3.3)
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02071

I will package them for Lucid when I get a chance.

smil99

#670 Post by smil99 »

Playdayz wrote:
Barry has made a pet of VLC 1.1.5 (Lucid has 1.0.5)

I tried it (Barry's) in Lucid and it works very well. Plays all media files thrown at it.

Awaiting the repackaged Qt4 by Barry where he intends to move some files to qt4_DEV to make the size smaller.
Sc0ttman's vlc-gtk also seems to be a better alternative (size-wise) if the non-functional on-screen controls are sorted out.

Cheers.

bigpup

#671 Post by bigpup »

Make a new entry in menu.lst for the new version.
I have been using Grub4dos as my only boot loader. Any time I add or remove an installed version of Puppy Linux, I run Grub4dos config. It auto finds what changes I have made and sets up the boot menu to reflect those changes. No more manual input required. It has detected every change with 100% correct results. Believe me, I have done some crazy changes to the installs of Puppy Linux while testing for Lucid 5.2.

capoverde

#672 Post by capoverde »

Post sent to -->Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports.

Sage

#673 Post by Sage »

there are BIG problems with CD burning
So far I have not found an entirely satisfactory burner amongst the usual selections. CD-RW and esp. DVD-RW discs can be most problematic, notwithstanding their extremely variable quality. Multisession introduces an additional complexity. Much time can be wasted.
Many may not like the solution, but NERO works in nearly every case, often straightening out apparently bent discs. It you didn't use it in 'doze, you're gonna have to pay real dosh for a copy, but if you have a 'doze license already for a recent version, this can be used without further charge with the same code. Whether this works with a legitimately transferred license from an otherwise scrapped junkheap, I cannot say...

capoverde

#674 Post by capoverde »

Hi Sage,

as for me, Pburn has usually worked fine both with standard CD-Rs and with CD-RW. I've been using rewritable mini-CDs regularly for more than a year now, and some have been successfully remastered over ten times -- always with Pburn.

And there's a unique advantage: in case of problems, Zigbert can be immediately informed and he'll set things straight with speed and kindness! :wink:

smiley

jfs access

#675 Post by smiley »

Has something changed regarding jfs support from 5.1.1 to 5.2?

I have problems mounting jfs drives with 5.2, 5.1.1 works like a charm.

pemasu

#676 Post by pemasu »

Lucid 5.2 laptop-001.pet which consists of laptop goodies is posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 993#484993

playdayz

#677 Post by playdayz »

I removed Chromium 10 from Lupu News and from PPM. It is a nightly build--not stable. My mistake. If you want it
http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/
Does anyone know what the difference is between the linux directory and the rel-linux directory on that site?

purple_ghost

Oddities in Puppy 5.2

#678 Post by purple_ghost »

I created a multi-session CD from Puppy 5.2 on my tower. (Dual Quad Core Q6600 with 4 GB RAM, Using Quick Pet I downloaded and installed Firefox, then Opera and, then Chromium. Opera and Chromium have tabs installed in both Menu/Internet and Menu/Network. Not a biggie.

When I used Quick Pet to download and install Java I was warned that it would be saved to home directory, which would be wiped out when rebooted. When I did a Java test the Sun site said I did not have the latest version of Java, and I should.... I rebooted, the and found the message that I would lose Java is correct. While I might sort this one out, is this how this is supposed to work? Losing Java automatically for a multi-session?

I am using a 20 inch LCD. First boot leaves me with a 800x600 and the other option offered is the 640x480. When I tried to install the first Nividia driver for the board, the Nividia driver and the monitor plus Puppy 5.2 conspired force it into 16??x12?? which yields screen text to be like a 32nd of inch high. Obviously I will need to play with the options to get it to work for me. Just thought I would mention it.

Last night I started Puppy (pfix=ram) and downloaded a fresh copy of 5.20. I burned that to a CD that was a single session Live-CD. Then I tried to burn a multi-session DVD. For some reason Puppy chose to recognize the DVD burner as -some strange name- for a burner from India. I did not record the name as I just let Puppy do what it wanted and it would probably work OK. Maybe I did not give it enough time to finish, I think at some it just went to sleep on the burn. Right now the System Information sees the drive as a Optiarc DVD burner, which is probably OK. Just I know that some programs sometimes have problems with switching between CD and DVD modes, if others are having problems burning. I am not sure what I did wrong.

Puppy 5.20 works Fast. Looks quite good. Another credit and big thanks to the Puppy developers.
Google Search of Forum: http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#679 Post by Béèm »

smil99 wrote:Beem wrote about Frisbee pet:
Do I understand well, you tried it in Lucid 5.2?
Yes, it works in Lucid 5.2 at least at my end.

Cheers.
I installed it.
It wasn't in any menu.
And when I executed in a terminal I got error messages about wpa_supplicant not found.

So I installed Pwireless2.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#680 Post by pemasu »

Beem. You get Frisbee among other things from my laptop-001.pet. The link is posted above and also here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 993#484993