Installing Linux puppy to HD

Booting, installing, newbie
alternator

Installing Linux puppy to HD

#1 Post by alternator »

I have tried to get the solution by looking at all the videos etc for beginners but with no joy so I am afraid I have resorted to the forum.
As you probably guessed I am brand new to Linux.
Have downloaded Linux puppy 5.2 to Live CD and have tried to Install on Pentium III 1200Mhz 386Mb ram 40Gb HD (Wanting clean Linux install with the original WinXP and files all deleted)
Used the Universal installer and all seemed to go well, at the end it told me to configure the GRUB bootloader which I tried to do, all went well until I got to the page "Puppy Linux users, If running from universal installer, just accept the default entry and press okay" Well there is nothing in the box as a default entry, I tried just pressing okay but it keeps bringing me back to the same dialogue box. The lower part of the box asks where GRUB files should go I am afraid my knowledge of the Linux file structure is not good enough to fill this in, I have tried but I get the error message "Not Linux"
jinx100

#2 Post by jinx100 »

Going by memory so this may be wrong. Try

/dev/sda1

or

/dev/hda1

or

/mnt/sda1

or

/mnt/hda1

in the box. This is a shotgun answer, sorry, but I think the first will work.

It also suggests editing the file /boot/grub/menu.lst which is not difficult. Click on the sda1 (or hda1) icon to mount the partition. I just comment out the similar default lines (add leading #) and paste in the suggested lines. The files may be in different windows of the same text editor.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

What type of install do you want? FRUGAL, FULL
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Look at the automated install method here.
Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

System > Grub bootloader config or console/terminal grubconfig

You should use the simple setup : 1. todays puppies don't seem to have the framebuffer driver-modules inside the kernel but as modules that can be only accessed after the kernel had mounted the install partition > so no bootup messages or logo if choosing some vga=1280x1024 or video=intelfb:x=1024x768@70 (blank black screen)
and 2. I noticed a bug at

Code: Select all

if [ -s $TMP/tmpmsg2 ]; then
echo '$DIALOG --editable --title "POSSIBLE LINUX PARTITIONS" --cr-wrap --checklist "`cat $TMP/tmpmsg1`" 0 0 0 \' > $TMP/tmpmsg3
cat $TMP/tmpmsg2 | sed "/^$/d" | while read device ; do
device_name="`echo "$device" | awk '{print $1}'`"
device_info="`echo "$device" | awk '{print $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7}'`"
echo "$device_name" | sed "/^$/d" | sed -e 's/.*/"&" '"'$device_info'"' on \\/' >> $TMP/tmpmsg3
done
echo "2> $TMP/parts" >> $TMP/tmpmsg3

. $TMP/tmpmsg3
    if [ $? = 1 -o $? = 255 ]; then
     rm -f $TMP/tmpmsg*
     continue
    else
     cat $TMP/tmpmsg2 > $TMP/fdisk.list
     rm -f $TMP/tmpmsg*
    fi
else
      $DIALOG --editable --title "Grubconfig" --editable --msgbox \
     "No Linux partitions found!" 0 0 #5 35
      continue
fi

if [ -s $TMP/parts ]; then
      cat $TMP/parts | sed "s/\"//g" | sed "/^$/d" > $TMP/parts.a
    else
      $DIALOG --editable --title "Grubconfig" --editable --msgbox \
     "No Linux partitions chosen!" 0 0 #5 35
      continue
    fi

for PART in `cat $TMP/parts.a` ; do

cat << EOF > $TMP/tmpmsg
`echo "   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System"`
`grep "^$PART" $TMP/fdisk.list`

Now you must select a name for the above partition.
You'll use this name to specify a partition to boot from
the GRUB menu.  Something like 'Slackware Linux' might
not be a bad choice.

The default is 'Linux (on $PART)'.  Just press ENTER for it.
(the menu will add '(on $PART)' for you automatically)
EOF
which I still have to examinel

Code: Select all

$DIALOG --editable --title "Grubconfig: ERROR" --editable --msgbox \
          "The partition '$ROOT_DEVICE' is not Linux." 0 0 #5 55
is part of the root_device() {FUNCTION} in both simple and expert grubconfig as far as I can overview.

I can imagine that you deleted the files and xp via the file-manager (ROX) and did not created new partitions and ext2-3-4 filesystems for linux on the drive . NTFS is not a FS to house linux ( exept frugal installs).

--editable does not seem to work for me at the moment to copy and paste the messages so pic :
alternator

Thanks to all for your input

#6 Post by alternator »

I will give them all a go.
To answer some of the points.
1) During install from CD I did select Frugal as that was suggested as the favourite option
2) I did partition the drive into two equal partitions in the ext 3 format. ( I did read through the forums before I tried to install).
3) I did try the automatic install option, but either I was doing something wrong (more likely) or the computer can't cope, will give it another try.
4) Sorry to be a dimbo Karl (Godt), but you are talking way out of my comfort zone, the code is all Greek to me, sorry, however thanks for the input.

I will report back on success or failure
moB

Re: Installing Linux puppy to HD

#7 Post by moB »

alternator wrote:Used the Universal installer and all seemed to go well, at the end it told me to configure the GRUB bootloader which I tried to do, all went well until I got to the page "Puppy Linux users, If running from universal installer, just accept the default entry and press okay" Well there is nothing in the box as a default entry
You can boot the CD (I assume you're using) and looking into /mnt/ you will see what your drives are called.
Likely sda1 or hda1, but I can't see your system from here ;-)

Also, one can watch the boot process and write down the partition name your savefile is stored in.

You then enter /dev/sda1, for example, into grub installer script. You needn't reinstall the whole to get that set up.

Manual grub install instructions here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=477022

It's a bit of a steep learning curve, but the questions will lead you to a good place. Keep at it until you win!

moB

Bear that in mind, and don't jump any more.
--Melville, Moby DIck
alternator

Thanks Mob

#8 Post by alternator »

Your comments make things clearer thanks. I eventually did manage to use a one click application to install to the hard drive. But I wish I had used the method you suggested as it would have given me a bit more knowledge of the mechanics.
Thanks again.