Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
NE1

Re: Unable to correctly remaster LiveCD in Lucid Puppy 5.2

#741 Post by NE1 »

amc wrote: Interestingly, fixing this problem has revealed another mystery! Before burning the CD I saved the image as an iso, and then mounted the iso and looked inside the sfs files to make sure that my customizations were in there - and they were. So I burned the CD, so far so good.

But when I tried to test the CD on the same system on which I created it, booting from the CD DOES NOT SHOW ANY OF THE /root CUSTOMIZATIONS. The boot process "knows" that this system already has puppy on it, and asks me which lupusave.3fs to load, with 0 being the choice for "none". There are several on this machine, since it is set up with several "frugal" boot choices in grub.

Now since the CD does not have a lupusave.3fs (or 2fs for that matter) file on it, and all my customizations are on the CD in the lupu_520.sfs file, I would expect those to show up when I choose "none". However, they do not. All I see is the original desktop without any of the /root file changes such as wallpaper, desktop icons, etc. pfix=ram does not change this behavior. I was afraid to try pfix=clean or purge thinking that it might trash my "good" setups.

Now when I tried booting the CD on another machine that has never had puppy installed on it, *poof* like magic all my customizations show up, from from the first live boot. Wallpaper, icons, custom scripts in the /root directory, everything.

I'm not saying that this behavior is good/bad/a bug/or a feature, but it is somewhat surprising and I'd like to understand it. Can either of you or anyone explain to me what is going on? It seems that choosing "none" for the lupusave.3fs file somehow creates it's own "/root" that hides the /root on the CD in the lupu_520.sfs file.

Very surprising, at least to me.
Thanks,
-Aaron
I just went through a similar mystery, so I might know the answer to yours...

When you first create a pupsave file, it asks you if you want it to copy lupu_520.sfs to the hard drive (or other media?). Once this is done, if puppy finds that file, it uses that one instead of copying the one from CD into RAM (even if the one on the hard drive is not the same as the one on the CD).

Search your hard drive (or other media?) for lupu_520.sfs and delete it. In my case, it was located in a directory named something like "l5201101.043".

playdayz

#742 Post by playdayz »

When you first create a pupsave file, it asks you if you want it to copy lupu_520.sfs to the hard drive (or other media?). Once this is done, if puppy finds that file, it uses that one instead of copying the one from CD into RAM (even if the one on the hard drive is not the same as the one on the CD).
Good answer. That has happened to me also. One clue is that the lupu-520.sfs loads very quickly (because it is being copied from the hard disk rather than the CD).

gcmartin

LiveCD or frugal

#743 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:

Good answer. That has happened to me also. One clue is that the lupu-520.sfs loads very quickly (because it is being copied from the hard disk rather than the CD).
I don't remember seeing this on LiveDVD? How does this happen? Is it because I am saving to the DVD that I don't see that option to save?

Which leads to a 2nd set of questions: If by accident a LiveCD user makes the mistake and saves a session to the HDD instead of the LiveCD, the system now has prior saved sessions on the LiveCD, AND it has the current saved session on the HDD, what is the expected behavior when the LiveCD user reboots ? (Assume, here, he does NO KEYBOARDING at system startup.)

Curious. Thanks in advance

tallboy

GPRS USB modems failing to connect in Lupu 5.2

#744 Post by tallboy »

Hi guys. I have downloaded Lupu 5.2, it is now running off a multisession live-cd on another linux box I have. I wish I could have written these words using Lupu 5.2, but instead I use my beloved dpup484beta4-2.6.30.5 live-cd, the Lupu will not connect to the net! I hope the fact that I am not contributing to making Puppylinux better myself, will exclude me from making some remarks. I had a posting regarding the USB stick modems that come with dual functionality, thanks to the internal memory built into these modems. They come with windoze-only software installed in their memory, but they require the use of 'usb-modeswitch' to be useful in Linux. I am a little surprised that those of you that have developed the 5.2 version, haven't sat down and read through the forum outside the pages dealing with development of this version, a quick search for 'lupu 5.1' or any earlier version, would at least have picked up some of the frustration around wireless modems in general, and in particular regarding the dual functionality USB modems, this shoud have been fixed by now. My post about how I managed to connect with dpup484, and also with Quirky 1.2 after some extra installations, but failed with lupu 5.1.1, contains a lot of details on how I did it, and it can be read here:
I made the ZTE MF636 USB modem work in dpup484beta4-2.6.30.5.

I hope you can fix it for the next version of Lupu, until then dpup484beta4-2.6.30.5 rules! With the 'Stardust' icons and gorgeous bakground pics, it is also the best looking Linux distro so far - sorry, but Lupu still sucks!
And whatever happened to the control panel, and the lock, save, trash and zip icons from dpup?

Another small thing; in Lupu 5.2 there are small icons in the pop-up menu when clicking the menu button, but none in he menu that I open by right-clicking in the window. That right?

Tallboy.

stu90

#745 Post by stu90 »

Right click menu is openbox and the task bar menu i think is fbpanel - if you want icons on both task bar menu and right click menu use the window manager switcher and change it to JWM.

oh and by the way, Lupu Ruels!!

runtt21

#746 Post by runtt21 »

it is also the best looking Linux distro so far
:lol: Not even .
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

tallboy

#747 Post by tallboy »

Hi stu90. i tried switching window manager to jwm, but then it put the sr0 disk drive icon on top of one of the hard drive icons, and when switching back to openbox, it remained in the same spot! :shock:

Hi runnt21, not bad at all, but I still think the dpup was the best 'right out of the box', the 'Stardust' icons are detailed and more business-like. I find the icons used in Lupu more modern perhaps, but still think they are a bit childish... 8)

Hmm, maybe I should try out that console-only distro, I think they include a hammer and chisel for the keyboard!

Tallboy

NE1

Re: LiveCD or frugal

#748 Post by NE1 »

gcmartin wrote: I don't remember seeing this on LiveDVD? How does this happen? Is it because I am saving to the DVD that I don't see that option to save?
I do not know, maybe if you choose multi-session CD/DVD, it just assumes that you do not want it to store anything on your hard drives?
gcmartin wrote: Which leads to a 2nd set of questions: If by accident a LiveCD user makes the mistake and saves a session to the HDD instead of the LiveCD, the system now has prior saved sessions on the LiveCD, AND it has the current saved session on the HDD, what is the expected behavior when the LiveCD user reboots ? (Assume, here, he does NO KEYBOARDING at system startup.)
I haven't tried using a multi-session CD/DVD or DVD-RW/CD-RW, but I do have multiple pupsave files on my hard drive. In this case, puppy pauses during boot and asks you which pupsave file (or none) to use (AFAIK, it will not continue booting until you choose).. I imagine your scenario would result in similar behavior. BTW: With multi-session CD/DVD, does it ask you where to save every time you reboot/shutdown? ...and what happens when your CD/DVD runs out of space?

darkcity

Re: GPRS USB modems failing to connect in Lupu 5.2

#749 Post by darkcity »

tallboy wrote:Hi guys. I have downloaded Lupu 5.2, it is now running off a multisession live-cd on another linux box I have. I wish I could have written these words using Lupu 5.2, but instead I use my beloved dpup484beta4-2.6.30.5 live-cd, the Lupu will not connect to the net! I hope the fact that I am not contributing to making Puppylinux better myself, will exclude me from making some remarks. I had a posting regarding the USB stick modems that come with dual functionality, thanks to the internal memory built into these modems. They come with windoze-only software installed in their memory, but they require the use of 'usb-modeswitch' to be useful in Linux. I am a little surprised that those of you that have developed the 5.2 version, haven't sat down and read through the forum outside the pages dealing with development of this version, a quick search for 'lupu 5.1' or any earlier version, would at least have picked up some of the frustration around wireless modems in general, and in particular regarding the dual functionality USB modems, this shoud have been fixed by now. My post about how I managed to connect with dpup484, and also with Quirky 1.2 after some extra installations, but failed with lupu 5.1.1, contains a lot of details on how I did it, and it can be read here:
I made the ZTE MF636 USB modem work in dpup484beta4-2.6.30.5.
I totally agree with Tallboy. One thing that is going to put people off Puppy is not being able to connect to the internet. It is one area where you can't even report your problems when they happen. In this respect 5.2 downgraded from 5.11. I thought one of the goals was to be able to work of the box? Seems that improvements one version of Puppy isn't getting through to another.

01micko

#750 Post by 01micko »

I tested no less than 6 usb modems of different kinds/carriers and no problem at all connecting with pupdial. Gprs connect is for phones. Where would you get the thought it is for 3G? :roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Dexter1

#751 Post by Dexter1 »

My Huawei 1550 3G usb modem works on the all latest Puppy Lucid ,Wary I tested the latest 3 months.
I didnt get it to work in the beginning because i didnt configure Pupdial/PGRS connect in the right way.
I think the most users which cant connect must check the configuration.
And of course let the Puppy boot up before connecting the usb modem.
So now I can use my favorite Lucid Puppy which is the best one I think.

tallboy

#752 Post by tallboy »

01micko wrote:I tested no less than 6 usb modems of different kinds/carriers and no problem at all connecting with pupdial. Gprs connect is for phones. Where would you get the thought it is for 3G?
I don't know if you have read the link I referred to, but the modem is a USB wireless 'memory stick' type. It comes with a chip similar to mobile phone chips, and is designed for use over the mobile phone net. It is called 'ZTE MF636 GPRS USB modem', therefore the use of GPRS to connect. The problem is the dual functionality of the modem. The reason is that the modem has an internal memory chip, which is also expandable to 4 gig by inserting an extra SD memory chip. The problem is that when inserting the modem into a USB port, it will be recognized as a memory stick instead of a modem. That is why there is a script called usb-modeswitch, that in addition to code, also contains a list of modems of this kind, and see to that it is recognized it as a modem, and not as memory. It partly works in dpup, but I cannot use all the functions, see the link. The problem with Lupu, is that nothing happens at all when the modem is inserted into a USB port, it is simply not recognized, either as memory or as modem!

Tallboy.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#753 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Beem. You get Frisbee among other things from my laptop-001.pet. The link is posted above and also here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 993#484993
Finaly just installed it and did a setup.
It is different then the one I saw in Fluppy.
I don't have that antenna icon in the either. Is this normal?

But I have the classical connection icon and when clicking to set up network, frisbee isn't in the network wizard.

But I have an entry in the puppy setup sub menu.

Did I miss something?
Last edited by Béèm on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

goolwa_pup

#754 Post by goolwa_pup »

Hi firstly congrats on the release of Puppy 5.2. I luvvit. I have remastered it with Open Office, Amarok,and Firefox, Thunderbird and Wbar. Puppy really seems like one of the big boys now (Ubuntu etc) but efficient and fast!!!! It works well on my Thinkpad T43 and my quad core AM3 desktop. I have converted several people over to puppy due to its ease of use, OOTB capabilities, speed and simplicity. However, my TP-LINK TL-WN422G USB wireless card with atheros version2 chipset is not recognised OOTB (in Ubuntu 10.10 it works OOTB). In Puppy it requires ndiswrapper and some mucking around with firmware etc to get it going. I am comfortable doing this, but, it would put people with similar wireless cards off using Puppy. Hopefully my USB will be working OOTB in 5.3. Anyway, keep up the great work and congrats on 5.2 it really is the best linux distro for my needs and with better OOTB capabilities it will be better for even more people

pemasu

#755 Post by pemasu »

Beem. Probably you missed reboot. You get Frisbee wireless icon to tray also by /root/Startup/1frisbee-tray, just click it.

I just downloaded laptop-001.pet to pfix=ram Lucid 5.2. After that I had Frisbee on connection wizard all right. Just did right click to connect icon and selected > execute the internet connection wizard and then left clicked it again and there it was.
And I checked, my pet has that updated connectwizard so it should overwrite the existing one.

Dunno what went wrong, so that you didnt get it. I am also now in the net with Frisbee and without reboot.

Edit: Also the default wireless icon is on the tray if you dont remove /root/Startup/network_tray. I have it and if I right click it and select > setup networking, it launches Frisbee.

I have also experimented more. If I remove /etc/rc.d/rc.network, Frisbee works fine without it after reboot. As it should.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#756 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Beem. Probably you missed reboot. You get Frisbee wireless icon to tray also by /root/Startup/1frisbee-tray, just click it.

I just downloaded laptop-001.pet to pfix=ram Lucid 5.2. After that I had Frisbee on connection wizard all right. Just did right click to connect icon and selected > execute the internet connection wizard and then left clicked it again and there it was.
And I checked, my pet has that updated connectwizard so it should overwrite the existing one.

Dunno what went wrong, so that you didnt get it. I am also now in the net with Frisbee and without reboot.

Edit: Also the default wireless icon is on the tray if you dont remove /root/Startup/network_tray. I have it and if I right click it and select > setup networking, it launches Frisbee.

I have also experimented more. If I remove /etc/rc.d/rc.network, Frisbee works fine without it after reboot. As it should.
Thank you.
Sorry, I missed the part of reboot.
But executed the 1frisbee-tray in startup and I have the antenna now.
So far it looks good.

Now see how my connection behave.
Almost all day I had also problems with pwireless2.

Forgot to say I booted with pfix=ram in order to have a pristine save file.
Time savers:

pemasu

#757 Post by pemasu »

Beem. Only other tricks that I know are to remove that /etc/rc.d/rc.network script and prolongate the sleep time for example from 1 to 4 in /etc/rc.d/rc.services script. Then reboot.

There is problems with co-existing network scripts. I dont suffer from them, but I have noticed that just adding Frisbee is not the final solution for everybody.

Béèm

#758 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Beem. Only other tricks that I know are to remove that /etc/rc.d/rc.network script and prolongate the sleep time for example from 1 to 4 in /etc/rc.d/rc.services script. Then reboot.

There is problems with co-existing network scripts. I dont suffer from them, but I have noticed that just adding Frisbee is not the final solution for everybody.
Thanks.
Jemimah did give me the same warnings.
Apparently I don't have a timing problem, my card seems to be up quickly.
I'll work a bit like this and report back.
Time savers:

01micko

#759 Post by 01micko »

tallboy wrote:I don't know if you have read the link I referred to, but the modem is a USB wireless 'memory stick' type. It comes with a chip similar to mobile phone chips, and is designed for use over the mobile phone net. It is called 'ZTE MF636 GPRS USB modem', therefore the use of GPRS to connect.
Most USB wireless modems are exactly like this, they have internal storage with windows (and in some cases mac) programs on them to get them running in those os. I can see now why you chose gprs connect but pupdial is still more appropriate.
tallboy wrote:They come with windoze-only software installed in their memory, but they require the use of 'usb-modeswitch' to be useful in Linux.
Usbmodeswitch has been in Puppy for well over a year now, approaching 2 years, all versions. There are Udev rules for a large variety of these types of modems. If your's is over 3 months old it is most likely supported.

You can give Pupdial a try. Make sure your modem is recognised (from within Pupdial, don't worry if there are no icons on the desktop), try having it plugged at boot and hot plugging. If nothing try the "choose" button to probe for the modem. Make sure to fill out the ISP phone number (usually *99#), leave dummy values in for Username and Password, fill out your APN correctly, tick "Stupid Mode" and you're away.

If you have problems after that (and are serious about helping yourself and others) post to rerwin's thread where he can help you diagnose any issues, he has special diagnostic and debugging software in place. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 074#431074. Be aware that using the gprs program may have borked some pupdial settings so it may be best to test with a new savefile.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#760 Post by playdayz »

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... -Lucid.pet
Firefox 4.0 b9. If you already have a 4.0 beta it might be easier to click Help -> About and let Firefox update itself.