Grub Modification for Full Linux mint Install?

Booting, installing, newbie
Fishy

Grub Modification for Full Linux mint Install?

#1 Post by Fishy »

I have Lupu 5.20 and spup installed frugally on sdb5 with the boot/grub folder located on same partition. Sdb1 in a fall back ntfs partition and sdb6 is an ext4 partition with Linux Mint Debian on it.

Grub was installed to MBR. For the life of me I cannot get Mint to load by adding the (I hope) information from the Mint boot file on sdb6 to the menu.lst file in sdb5. The only bright spot is that I haven't buggered up my existing installation to the point of re-installing every thing.
nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

What if latest Mint is a Grub2 version and you use Grub4Dos or legazy Grub.

Grub4Dos can cooexist with a grub2 full install but maybe the Mint then needs to be installed first or second after MsWin something.

But I only parrot vague memories of what others have written. So try to look for menu.lst for that version of Mint you have and see it it needs grub2 to boot at all?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

Good point nooby (about grub2)

Booting grub2 from grub legacy or grub4dos is a bit tricky BUT POSSIBLE.

The best explanation I have seen is here:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub ... ocId982259

scroll down a bit and see where it starts talking about
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

I am sure this is the problem.
Mysp

Is it not possible boot?... (confused)

#4 Post by Mysp »

I am quite confused from previous posts
Does it mean that is it not possible to boot all Linux distributions (and other OSes) directly from Grub Legacy (no Grub 2) ???

Currently I have frugall installation of Puppy 4, Quirky and Lupu via Grub Legacy on first partion (sda1). I certainly want to keep them and use them. But for some reasons I want to try (in future, when I have time) Linux Mint (Gnome or LXDE editon, not sure yet).

My idea is: I will simple install Linux Mint to separate partition
(sda2 with ext2, did not want ext4), do not install any new bootloader and just manually add new item in Menu.lst in Grub legacy.

Does previous posts and replies mean that this is not possible? Because I just want to try Linux Mint, I do not want to make it very comlicated and do not want to use Grub 2. I also look at suggested URL at Dedoimedo, but this is too complicated for me. I am still relatively new to Linux.
Thank your in advance for answer.
shinobar

Re: Is it not possible boot?... (confused)

#5 Post by shinobar »

Mysp wrote:Does it mean that is it not possible to boot all Linux distributions (and other OSes) directly from Grub Legacy (no Grub 2) ???
As ICPUG says, Grub Legacy --> Grub 2 --> Mint can boot.
Of course you can also boot Mint directory from Grub Legacy if you place proper entry in the menu.lst.
But I recommend Grub4Dos instead of Grub Legacy if you cannot manage the menu.lst by hand.
The Grub4Dos config in Lupu-520 does automatically configure it.
Try the Grub4Dos and make a rescue.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]