How to mount top layer

Booting, installing, newbie
kutalion

How to mount top layer

#1 Post by kutalion »

Well, in the times when I used SD card to store my lupusave file I faced a exlemely nice feature - top layer mounting. Unlike lupusaves in USB thumb drives Puppy doesn't go saving the changes made in RAM every few minutes but it rather saves them directly to the lupusave (without ever needing to store anything in RAM). Because I've noticed that when Puppy goes saving the RAM into lupusave it sucks my resources and after a few cycles of saving the system hangs and I have to hard reboot it but thus I loose my recent chages which isn't very convenient.

So I am asking for a way to mount lupusave file to top layer (at least this was what puppy said for the safefile in SD card). How did Puppy made this possible I cannot guess but if there is a way to copy the method for USB thumb drives this will be perfect. It won't suck my resources and I definitely won't loose any data in case of system stalls.

Thank you in advance puppy masters
Georgi

_Mark_

#2 Post by _Mark_ »

Just save it in the root directory and not a sub directory of whatever media you are using

Just for clarification root being / and not /root

MinHundHettePerro

#3 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

If you do want to write everything instantly to your flashmemory, you could try to set PUPMODE=12 in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE (for a frugal install with a save-file). Maybe also specify another bootparameter on the kernel line, e.g. pmedia=usbhd.

Should you still want to restrict the number of writes to your flashdrive, you could set the interval to 0, and only save back to file when you decide, see attached pic.

hth :)/
MHHP
Attachments
pup_event_mngr.jpg
(142.29 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

This may be what you are looking for.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

Also read: How puppy works
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

kutalion

#6 Post by kutalion »

Lol, guys. A big THANK YOU goes to every single one of you. It was clear enough that I wouldn't manage without some nasty text editing of scripts that I don't understand but as Linux made it clear a while ago - it is more humane OS than many other (it free and it just works).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

MinHundHettePerro, where do I find the Puppy event manager?

James C

#8 Post by James C »

Try menu/system/Puppy Event Manager.
HTH. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Whoa, how long has that been there? :lol:

kutalion

#10 Post by kutalion »

And if you don't mind I'll continue with the questions which popped up in my mind after reading the thread in the 4th answer about How does Puppy work...

And so I've been searching for Pupbuntu since I found about Puppy and after I understood that it could hardly reach the functionality of my fav - Ubuntu... But 'How does Puppy work' enlightened me about few things. I could have Ubuntu installed on my flash and I've done so a few times every time finishing with a slow-as-hell OS in just about a day. The new thing is that I could use one of the methods mentioned there to use a host system with the lightweight of Puppy and thus the two combine in one super slick light and pretty functional System, right? (Or as Yu-Gi stated a few years ago: I use my Polymerisation card to combine Ubuntu and Puppy Linux and so to receive a greater monster - Pupbuntu 8) ... or something very similar to this one :D )

So the general question in just a few words: Could it be? And is it possible... Oh and what does this 'simple text file' represent and what it does it consist of (except of the path to the system I'll be using)? Furthermore what's it's formatting. So many questions... I hope they look sane enough to be answered :)