How Can I Force Synaptics Driver to Load??

Booting, installing, newbie
rian

How Can I Force Synaptics Driver to Load??

#1 Post by rian »

Am facing a deal breaker with puppy 5.1.1 in that I have an Acer 4530 laptop with Synaptics touchpad, but for some reason Puppy is not loading the synaptics driver, so I cannot use the scroll feature (right-edge vertical on touchpad).

I found fixes for adding scrolling by editing a file, but that only works if the synaptics driver is loaded. Also came across two synaptic pets posted in this forum for adding a cool config menu for synap touchpad that includes scrolling... and installed those... but they also require the driver be loaded.

Ran a check (I can't remember command line now) but it confirmed no synaptics driver is loaded. Looked in xorg.log (probably got that name wrong) and only mentions "mouse" but not Synaptics.

And yes, this is a synap touchpad.

Why wouldn't it load? Am running Puppy 5.1.1 installed on USB 4GB memory stick.

Thanks for any help.

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

Rian, this relates to a problem with conflicts in two of the packages. The fix is to run the Xorg Wizard from the menu. Menu>setup>xorg video wizard. This forces the Synaptics driver to load properly. After, configure your touchpad using Flsynclient, menu>desktop>desktop settings>Flsynclient.
On some systems, highlighting blocks of text etc gives strange results using the touchpad, odd copy/paste events and so on. This too is a simple fix. If you suffer from this, set Rox file manager to show hidden files, and in /root/, locate the hidden file .flSynclient, and open it in a text editor. Scroll through till you find the 'clickfinger' values, and set them all to 1.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rian

#3 Post by rian »

Thanks DaveS!! :-D Getting around easily makes all the difference!!

Now off to figure out how to install a few things that are not part of the included pet pkg offers!!

PS (EDIT): After I did the fix, I was re-reading your post and wasn't even touching the computer, but the page started scrolling down one line every 15 seconds or so... applied the second half of your post and all fixed! Thank you for anticipating that and taking the time to write it out.

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

rian wrote:Thanks DaveS!! :-D Getting around easily makes all the difference!!

Now off to figure out how to install a few things that are not part of the included pet pkg offers!!

PS (EDIT): After I did the fix, I was re-reading your post and wasn't even touching the computer, but the page started scrolling down one line every 15 seconds or so... applied the second half of your post and all fixed! Thank you for anticipating that and taking the time to write it out.
OK, cool.... :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

whitlecj

#5 Post by whitlecj »

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I am also having a problem with this. I have gone through the steps to load the synaptic driver but can't get the tap to work. Scrolling works fine.

If I select my video driver instead of probing in the xorg wizard, I can get the tap to work but no scrolling and the synaptic driver want load if I select my driver either. Really weird? I need tapping badly. Thanks for any help.

whitlecj

#6 Post by whitlecj »

Figured it out. Had to go to wizard wizard and click the check box to allow tapping. Then restarted and it worked.

ghopper757

#7 Post by ghopper757 »

I hate to beat an OLD topic to death, but I've gone as far as I can go with NO happy ending. I've done a full install of Lucid 5.2.5 on an
HP ze2000
512 RAM
60 GIG HD

I try to load FlSynclient and get to dreaded "No Synaptics driver loaded" message. I've worn out the xorgwizard with no change. I can boot from disk and after a restart of X, pull up FlSynclient. From disk boot, I replaced all files (not subdirectories) in ect/X11. I can't find anything new to try. I've worn out Google and this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the LAST bug I have to get past to call this machine READY. Thanks for any help!!!