How do I install Puppy in a USB 256MB pen drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
vivian

How do I install Puppy in a USB 256MB pen drive?

#1 Post by vivian »

I use the live CD on USB flash drive, but whenever I boot the computer resets all settings.
I need a version that has some software and skype voip dial.
How to install on USB?
how to customize the USB?
shadow of viper`

#2 Post by shadow of viper` »

HI vivian,

please post which puppy you are using.
the live CD comes with default settings for everything, if you change your settings, you need to save them somwhere. Booting the live CD again makes your computer operate with the default settings again.

At the end of the session, when you shutdown the computer, you should be asked whether you'd like to save the session (in effect, save your settings)... is this happening?

if it is, you can choose a location to save the session.... a small file is created which contains all of your settings. The next time you boot, this file should be loaded automatically.

You may like to go through the below link to understand how this works
http://www.puppylinux.com/development/h ... works.html

You can very well install puppy onto a pen drive making it a liveUSB

please check if your PC supports booting from USB.
You can do this by going to your system BIOS.
Press DEL or F12 or F2 etc soon after you start the PC (the key to be pressed varies depending on the manufacturer)

For more information, please post the hardware configuration of your PC
I am sure someone will be able to help you.

I donot know if any puppy comes bundled with Skype, but there is a default VOIP application bundled in most of them.

You can download skype as a .pet file and install it.
vivian

#3 Post by vivian »

hello friend, thanks for your answer,
I'm with the puppy using 5.1 and 5.2 on a laptop without harddisk, a 256MB flash drive with 120MB free.
Laptop: Averatec AMD Athlon XP-M mobile with 512MB Ram.

I know I can save at the end but it's bad, it could go as we were going to keep the changes using for several times that when you open a video and two pages depending on the content locks up and have to boot.
I tried save and save often as not wanted, most people not familiar with the English here and in the family is even worse.
I tried to install. pet skype but not executed.

I found the puppy linux faster for this laptop because I could not even install XP on an 8GB flash drive for this laptop, so I have to use alternatives.

I need help
help a girl still a beginner.
russoodle

Re: puppy install in USB 256MB pen drive

#4 Post by russoodle »

vivian wrote:<snip>
I need a version that has some software and skype voip dial.
<snip>
Hi Vivian,

Regarding Puppy with Skype already installed, there are a couple of current ones that come to mind at the moment, although there are others.

John Biles is planning to release his new version of Legacy OS within a week or so and it probably has more than enough software included for everyday use for a variety of purposes - the url leads to his thread and a desktop screenshot, which shows the icons for many of the included applications: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 944#496285 (OK, so this is about-to-be-current)

Cielo Wary 5 is a recent release, with encryption features as well, information here: http://puppylinuxnews.org/puplets/new-p ... vlc-opera/

These are both be rather big ISOs though (300mb+), so you'd be better off doing a frugal install to the 8GB flash drive, which is plenty large enough to hold the necessary Puppy system files + your save-file + have a 1GB swap partition :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]
vivian

#5 Post by vivian »

thanks russoodle
links are good !

as I have the pen 256mb prefer using them instead of 8GB, did not want to have to buy another 1GB (though I tried to get on the net but couldnt .. lol if anyone knows how let me know !!!).

these mounts are all great, perhaps to fit into the smallest pen that would perhaps make the openoffice, since the edit files online today ...

We will continue to exchange ideas to always find a light assembly while usual.
russoodle

#6 Post by russoodle »

Hello Vivian, another link for you - if you're looking for the really small versions of Puppy, to which you can add your own selection of applications, you might want to take a look at jrb's BareBones pup, based on Puppy 4.3.1 and only 64mb.

Hope this is of some help to you.
vivian wrote:did not want to have to buy another 1GB
By the way, i didn't mean for you to buy a 1GB drive especially to make a swap partition, i meant to format the 8GB drive to include a 1GB swap partition, to give you more memory :D
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]
vivian

#7 Post by vivian »

the laptop will not recognize boot normally with the 8GB flash drive, only with fewer OS.
What would you do to harness the full space of 8GB flash drive?
shadow of viper`

#8 Post by shadow of viper` »

HI vivian,

how about puppy, does puppy allow you to use the 8GB flash drive to boot from?
Just a thought, if it doesnt, can you try making partitions (say two - one 2 Gb and the other 6GB) on the flashdrive and install puppy onto the smaller one? Give it a shot and see if it works...
bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

First you need to understand about installing and running Puppy.
Info here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
navegante

#10 Post by navegante »