Tiny Core Linux Website Down [solved]

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
thane

Tiny Core Linux Website Down [solved]

#1 Post by thane »

I'm taking the liberty of starting this thread because the Tiny Core Linux website has been down since yesterday. This was scheduled but the downtime appears to be lasting longer than had been anticipated. I'd like to leave this here as a place for TCL users (some of whom also use Puppy) to exchange info until the TCL website is up again. Moderators please feel free to delete this though if it's inappropriate. Thanks.

edit: TCL website is back.
Last edited by thane on Sat 19 Mar 2011, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

That was frienldy of you.

Puppy have such back up at the LinuxQuestions forum too. Does not TCL?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
thane

#3 Post by thane »

Thanks, nooby. No, it doesn't look like TCL has a forum there. In any case I didn't even think of looking first (blush). Anyway the TCL forum is back up and looks to be accepting posts.
Crash

#4 Post by Crash »

Your post gave me some incentive to test drive TCL for the first time. I'm making this post from a TCL Live CD, and it works pretty effortlessly. Kind of weird, a 10 MB operating system, then I downloaded Seamonkey, which is 18 MB, almost twice the size of the operating system! Works good, though. Fun experiment.

P.S. I did the download and CD burn from Puppy, and that process was effortless, too.
jpeps

#5 Post by jpeps »

Crash wrote:Your post gave me some incentive to test drive TCL for the first time.
Personally, I think there are a lot of ethical reasons for Puppy Linux NOT to support TCL. No further comment.
racepres

#6 Post by racepres »

jpeps wrote: Personally, I think there are a lot of ethical reasons for Puppy Linux NOT to support TCL. No further comment.
Having watched what happened to DSL, I concur!
RP
nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

I can see the merit in that too their attitude on their forum are different to Puppy forum attitudes.

I should not force us here to be more open to TCL then what the majority of Puppy users feel comfort being or the Admin of Murga Puppy Linux Forum may feel is proper relation.

You guys decide, I only feel for small OS so I am a hopeless case of inclusiveness gone wild :)
Luluc

#8 Post by Luluc »

What is this ethical issue with TCL?
nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Wonderful pic of the Cat there :)

I let the others tell you. I am not good at English when it comes to such intricate things as moral behavior.

thane

Don't get me wrong now but it could be less confusing if you edit your first post and change it to

Tiny Core Linux Website Down [Solved]

Now it sure looks like it is still down and that you already told us it is not :)
The title should reflect this. No criticism just me being a bit at it in a friendly intentional way :)
jason.b.c

#10 Post by jason.b.c »

racepres wrote:
jpeps wrote: Personally, I think there are a lot of ethical reasons for Puppy Linux NOT to support TCL. No further comment.
RP

which was what
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]
nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

jason.b.c wrote:
racepres wrote:
RP

which was what
Jason, is that a rhetorical question?

or are you genuinely curious?

I can be wrong but I do get the feeling that you do know all about it but want any of us to say something that you can see as too gossiping?

I think RobertS can elaborate best on it. He has been interviewed about it on DW and most likely have expressed it on either DSL or on TCL too.

On LinuxQuestions on the DSL part or Debian part we have many expressing frustration on how impossible it was even to joing the DSL forum and how one get treated there if one did not live up to their way of seeing things.

Maybe one should be that strict as they are but that is how it is.

Could you not use google and then tell us what you got out of it?
Crash

#12 Post by Crash »

jpeps wrote:ethical
It's kinda hard for me to make a judgement about TCL. I did a Google on "Tiny Core Linux ethics" and didn't find much. Anyway, the name of this portion of the forum is "Truly off-topic conversations" so I figured you would cut me some slack.
racepres wrote:DSL
I looked them up in Distrowatch and found they are listed as "dormant". I guess I don't get out much. Their forum is pretty inactive, too. Huh, they were really hot stuff a few years ago.

TCL isn't for everyone, and they admit that at their own website. But at least it is reasonably easy to test drive as a Live CD. The last small operating system that I was really impressed with was KolibriOS, but I haven't seen much movement with it lately, either.

In the meantime, I tried out Barebones Puppy - actually installed it to hard drive in about the time it takes to burn a CD. It's pretty good for a distro around 50 MB. I have since given away my old Socket 7 test bed, though, and all of these operating systems run lickedy split on this more modern Dual-Core blah-blah computer with billions of bytes of RAM and a trillion bytes of disk storage. Life moves on...

/// Edited later in the evening:

The actual interview is at this web address for those interested. You can come to your own conclusions:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40413

///
Last edited by Crash on Sun 20 Mar 2011, 04:02, edited 2 times in total.
thane

#13 Post by thane »

Per nooby's suggestion, marking this as solved.
Dewbie

#14 Post by Dewbie »

Luluc wrote:
What is this ethical issue with TCL?
Specific examples here.
stu90

#15 Post by stu90 »

Is there a not so tiny Tiny core that has wifi /wireless and what not already built in?
pemasu

#16 Post by pemasu »

Personally, I think there are a lot of ethical reasons for Puppy Linux NOT to support TCL. No further comment.
Another personal view:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 836#352836

Well, it offers a concretical usage also.
Personally, I have no experience with TCL packages.
Bernie_by_the_Sea

#17 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Since this is off topic anyway, I'll say that I really don't care what developers or distributors do when I find something that works. DSL works and I continue to use it. I really don't care about updates or upgrades. I don’t care how forums work or don’t work. In seven or eight years of playing with a dozen Linux distros I’ve only joined three forums. Years ago I read but never posted on Knoppix.net. I have participated in discussions and posted on only two Linux forums, this one and PCLinuxOS years ago from Preview 7 to Preview 9. This is first forum where I keep up with postings because many of them are just plain interesting. This forum is one of Puppy’s strongest assets. Here beginners (as well as experts) can ask any question and promptly get an answer.

I have Tiny Core and a bunch of their TCE/TCZ’s but I really don’t care for it. I like the idea but it would be just too much work to get where I want to go.

Sorry for being so long winded but this is off topic and at age 83 I tend to ramble on... and on and on. :)
[color=green]Frugal[/color]: Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD
[color=blue]USB[/color]: DSL 4.4.10
[color=red]Full[/color]: WinXP Pro
Puppy (Feb. 4 - May 12, 2011) led me back to Linux.
nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

pemasu wrote:
Another personal view:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 836#352836

Well, it offers a concretical usage also.
Personally, I have no experience with TCL packages.
Yes and continue here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 915#504915
with jrb updates and the suggestions in the thread to make it even more versatile. Great things they come up with. :)
Bernie_by_the_Sea

#19 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Brewer wrote:I am confused for the causing of failing some website like the tiny core Linux website. What are the causes of failing of some website like that? So if I got a problem the same in here I know what to do so I am asking a little bit a questions.
In this case it looks like the Tiny Core owners took the site down for maintenance and it took longer than they expected to get it back up. It didn't fail but was just turned off for a while to work on it. If this site ever disappears just check another Puppy website for information. Google is your friend. :)
Grandma

TIny Core Linux vs Puppy - pros and cons

#20 Post by Grandma »

Tiny Core Linux vs Puppy and Puplets - pros and cons - a comparison of tight distros

I think this is my first post here and since I am sort of new to the Puppy Party, I will try to be kind - I tend to be a bit abrasive having spent 30 years writing financial packages for large multi-national corporations and managing programmer teams - and paying my way through college some 30+ years ago by breaking corporate and published software, and working for a Federal Judge - so I can be an A** and you have my apology if I offend anyone for this "AUDIT". I was after all, banned from 2 forums - Knoppix (though the owner/author was pissed at the admins for doing that and apologized - real nice guys) and Arch - who's owners can take a flying FK - cocky arrogant pricks they are with a package that crashed and burned a brand new hot shot laptop on install - so grrrr - don't mind me for going off on them - pa-leez. Even Backtrack, fat as it was, didn't do that. I tried over 20 Linux distros before making decisions and actually Knoppix was ok - it flew - sort of - most of the others do NOT perform as advertised or are incredibly slow space and memory hogs with installs written by someone who thinks this is still 1985.

As for the puppy folks I took a browse through the forum and love your attitude - absolutely divine - none of that stuffy stuff here. I teach kids PC labs and love it when there is a "FREE FLOW" attitude - all kinds of neat things happen in that kind of environment and of all the distros I've been to and all the forums, I think Puppy gets #1 for "Free Flow, Low Stress, Imagination Rules" and that is a great foundation. Keep that and you'll remain a leading distro - my two cents on yer "Attitude". (by the way, my students call me Grandma cause I am such a bia-tch when grading - but I do compliment as well when deserved - hope blunt honesty is ok :lol:

The Puppy package seems to be getting A LOT of good distro expansion, lots of airplay on 3rd party sites, its tight by design, seems to be rather well supported (we shall see kiddies) and you folks have all the makings of a #1 with a bullet hit. Nice job. Good screen shots on most of your tutorials, and while I couldn't get you to install (more below), overall the site and wealth of distros leads me to believe I can and will get Puppy working by trying not to be rude here. I tend to be nice at nice parties, and this seems to be that kind of a joint.

I have to admit - since I said I'd be comparing TC to PP, the folks at TC are actually quite sweet as well - and talented. It is true Robert took a bit of a hit at DSL - basic story is he was the driving force behind it until the owner of DSL sorta screwed up, paid CD/Pen Drive orders got backordered, forum complaints got out of control, forum was shut down and the DSL owner ignored Roberts repeated suggestion that DSL could be even tighter and faster. So rather than push s**t up hill, Robert bailed, made TC the tight distro he wanted and I found it to be rather robust - the nature of small packages is once tested they work well and do what they are supposed to do reliably.

The downside is its not Ubuntu, there isn't the same level of open source mods available, but hey - its over 1000 (I think I read somewhere over 3000), and everything "WORKS" due to some sterling talent integrating the new mods and checking things twice. I have to say that out of all the packages tested using UNETBOOTIN, LINUX LIVE and manually creating my own USB boot sticks with syslinux only TC actually installed with a boot stick, did so every darn time and with that I was able to go fix the laptop destroyed by the Arch problem install, and get that laptop back online.

I had expected Puppy to provide a similar "smooth install" experience: either with Netbootin or Linux Live - or even a manual copy of all files, breaking up the ISO while sitting on a Windows 2000 PC, using ISODISK and manually copying all folders and etc., then placing syslinux on root - but no pup - ouch. Perhaps someone here could most kindly walk me through. I have no CD burner on the laptop that has wifi and can only work with:

a) Windows 2000 - has net, but no burner, and can WRITE to USB but not BOOT from USB

b) Tiny Core Linux on the same laptop - can get online (I am typing this now) and I can perform most terminal processes there. The wifi utility I got from them was sterling - the support - sterling - the folks in their forum - sterling.

The desktop? Eh... and busy box and similar tools native to TC are as ugly as a 3 legged, one-ear, blind dog that gets hit by a car daily named Lucky.

Well the TC philosophy is "minimal" and "fast" and it does hold the world record for both tightest kernel/desktop/tool foot print and fastest boot and can be expanded. I am in the process of learning to "dress" it up now, but that was one of the things I liked about Puppy - it looks like you folks spent an enormous amount of time creating the "Make a Distro" environment and I do want to beat that up a bit. I realize your kernel will be larger than Roberts (he is an old Unix pro so not many folks are gonna beat him for that and even Linux . org uses Microcore - the TC little brother - for load testing due to its reliable nature - so the rumor goes), but a half-step up out of the 10MB range into the 50MB small puppy range with added features isn't a bad trade off.

I wanna see both working.

I wanna be able to go to my friends and clients and say "Want super-tight? Use this. Want pretty darn tight with a slightly sexier feel? Use this. Want to add all kinds of DEB mods and other mods from other Distros? Use this. Want both? Several? More? Here's how to get that also."

Its pretty hard to do that with a large Ubunto or Backtrack Install - really impossible - but with either TC or Puppy - where a solid foundation exists from the start - these types of configurations ARE possible - and that's why I wanna see Puppy running on my laptop.

I'm gonna play around with it a bit this weekend - take another crack at getting the USB stick to boot on the hot-shot laptop (my test bed - not my wifi bed I am on now) and then see if I can set up the old dual-boot grub environment - perhaps even a triple boot with W2K sitting in first slot (don't puke - Uncle Bill throws a fit if I put his team anywhere else), but meanwhile, I hope you folks are - as the TC people have been - helpful, knowledgeable and based on what I have seen here so far (and at TC), really focused on producing a quality product in a tight package - and then once I get it working right, I'll help you with the "Install for folks with Black Clouds over their PCs" - which describes me and 99% of all Windows users today - or you could also call it the "Dumb Blonde" install, but we wouldn't want to infer blondes are dumb, rather we just have to keep the White Out away from them when they are using word processors (messes up the screens and is hard to get off LCD's as I found out). :oops:

Thank you for yer help, yer reading and as I get to know you, your laughs even at my crummy jokes. Lets see if I can get a tiny pup to work and then if all goes as planned, get you an install package that also works reliably even for idiots like me. I wrote one for TC that installs in 3 seconds - literally - done - and gets users online in a blink - first step - done.

I'd like to do the same for you if I may ... and the price? A couple of laughs, a couple of rib pokes and a couple of helping hands back and forth is always a great way to settle all debts. That seems to be the method here and I luv it. Thanks.