How to make a start up script for Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
johanLW

How to make a start up script for Puppy?

#1 Post by johanLW »

Hello!

I need som help to make an start up script.
It´s an .html code i want to start up automatic when puppy is booted.

I think it have something with root/startup to do. I have come so far that firefox launches when puppy have been booted.
The problem is that I dont know how i can make an .html script.

The second thing is that i want this this script to loop. bevause this .html code is linking to a website and if the machine loose internetconection I want it to start automatic again.

Ok, i will try to explain what I want it to do a bit more understanding:
* Lucid puppy boots up.
* The script will start up and redirect to a website.
The wesite will be running all the time (It will stand and do a slideshow without scrrensaver and so on, the machine will be running 24/7)
* If I loose internet connection I want the script to redirect to the website automatic.

I,m a Linux noob and I hopre someone will help me out!

Btw, im using Lucid puppy 5.1.1

stu90

#2 Post by stu90 »

You could maybe try making a new script in Startup something like below to start web browser at a certain webpage not sure about keeping connection active - the new lucid puppy 525 has an application especially for that maybe it coud be installed in lucid 5.1.1?

#!/bin/sh
sleep 2
exec defaultbrowser www.google.com "$@"

defaultbrowser could be substituted with the path to which ever browser you use - and the website address changed to the one you wish to open.

johanLW

#3 Post by johanLW »

stu90 wrote:You could maybe try making a new script in Startup something like below to start web browser at a certain webpage not sure about keeping connection active - the new lucid puppy 525 has an application especially for that maybe it coud be installed in lucid 5.1.1?

#!/bin/sh
sleep 2
exec defaultbrowser www.google.com "$@"

defaultbrowser could be substituted with the path to which ever browser you use - and the website address changed to the one you wish to open.
Thanks for an solution! I will test this next week on work and tell how its going! :D

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

What you can do for the other part of your question is refresh the page at
predetermined intervals.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... loadevery/

~

johanLW

#5 Post by johanLW »

Bruce B wrote:What you can do for the other part of your question is refresh the page at
predetermined intervals.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... loadevery/

~
Ah, thanks for the help! was lookinf for that, I found an addon called errorzilla but that one didnt do exactly as i needed it to.

Thanks alot, both of you :D