hp pent4 2.8.ghz intel 82865g graphics 1gb mem 20gb hd

will do full install and advise further
Attachments
abiword2.jpg
(174.97 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
LinuxUser531700

Full HDD Issue

#682 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

Running the live CD works great and even doing a frugal install works fine too, however I seem to having some issue with a full install. I usually prefer full installs.

The installation and grub configuration takes place without issue. I am using the grub4dos or grub4dos (can't remember correct name) utility because 7 is on another partition.

When I reboot and choose puppy, it goes thru it's normal startup but when I get to selecting the keyboard layout, I can't do anything. The cursor blinks below the 'OK', yet hitting enter or any other keyboard button does nothing. All I can do is power down the computer.

Please let me know what information I need to supply or if someone knows what I am doing wrong right off the bat, please let me know.

So far from the live CD this puppy has been the only one that I could configure my hdmi sound very easily...so I was impressed.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#683 Post by Flash »

LinuxUser531700, if you make it clear which Puppy you're talking about, you'll get more response.

Also, it would be most excellent of you to finish off your post asking how to get sound to work through an HDMI cable. You can edit your posts. Add (Solved) to the subject line of the original post, and then add a post explaining that you found a way to make it work and what that way is. Thanks. :)
LinuxUser531700

S-Pup 100

#684 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

Sorry if my post was unclear.

I downloaded S-Pup 100 and did a full hdd install.

When I reboot and come to the part to choose which keyboard layout, it does nothing. I hit enter and nothing happens, since it already defaults to US. I can't go any further. I don't have this issue loading S-pup to ram and running from there.

At this point of trying to run S-PUP, all I can do is power off.
starhawk

#685 Post by starhawk »

Pardon ignorance, but why do you not prefer a frugal install? There are a lot of benefits to it...
LinuxUser531700

#686 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

It just may be that I don't understand it completely. It just seems easier to understand and install the full installation. When I tried the frugal, it seemed to take longer to boot and I was confused with the pup save files and what was being saved.
starhawk

#687 Post by starhawk »

Do me a favor, since I don't want to hijack this thread.

Please either PM me or Email me (using the buttons at the bottom of my post) and we can talk a little about that -- there are a number of very, very good reasons to use a frugal install, not the least of which is... that's what Puppy was really designed around.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#688 Post by Flash »

Noooo, please don't do that. It misses the whole point of the forum, which is to put discussions where other people can see them so that everyone can learn from them. At least write a how-to based on what you figure out. :)
LinuxUser531700

#689 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

We only discussed stuff about frugal & full install. Nothing we discussed had any affect on the reason for my post.

I still have the issue of my computer hanging on the keyboard layout screen after a full install. Frugal and Live CD, no issue.
starhawk

#690 Post by starhawk »

LinuxUser531700 wrote:We only discussed stuff about frugal & full install. Nothing we discussed had any affect on the reason for my post.
Seconded. Gave him a few weeks' worth of theory in the functionality of hardware & operating systems, on selected relevant topics.
01micko

#691 Post by 01micko »

Hi All

First af all...

nooby, did you try the "nosmp" trick on your kernel line? That may or may not help. And.. where did you get fluxbox from. Spup ships with JWM-500.

cowboy.. well the "rerwin fix" didn't help eh? Maybe I got the wrong one? Can you do a cross check from lupu to spup of the file /etc/udev/rules.d/00-i915_modeset0.rules and make sure it's the same please? At least the woof sound fix is working for you and vesa is giving you a usable system.

Béèm, good to see it works for you.

Billtoo, could you load the module for Broadcom wireless on your machine manually? Did it work in previous versions? Unusual that the wallsetter is broken for you. I can't break it. You could install SWS from here. Good your nvidia machine seems ok. Oh yeah, that mouse window pops up after 8 seconds if you don't move the cursor. A new woof feature, in quirky-142 too, designed for old serial mice in case they aren't detected.

MHHP.. 8)

DaveS, Happy belated Birthday! (Though you got your pressy on time!)

James C, apart from some small upgrading issues your main one seems gparted. I couldn't reproduce that but you can install lupu's gparted in spup as it's a slackware one, playdayz was having issues with the Ubuntu version.

tronkel, thanks for testing. I knew someone would run into the ATI issue. Strange that the modeset=0 kernel command failed. It worked for playdayz. At least you came up with a good work around with the Vesa trick, also thanks for confirming that the ATI_fglrx driver is working ok. You could have tried the video wizard in the setup window, or from the menu.(It's Barry's with some small hacks for spup, I think inspired by the Lupu development). It works fine with nvidias and mesa. I'll document these things in the main post. Also, that issue with rt2870sta module, yes would need to find some compatible firmware. I'll see what I can dig up.

yarddog .. good things are ok apart from abiword. Yes I knew about it (sigh)... but it should open documents ok. I created a few in libreoffice and they opened fine in abiword, some with embeded jpeg and png images too. I hate abiword!!! Later on, what we have to do is get a bunch of ati users (I know you're one, there's a note in the first post) and figure out a udev rule (hopefully with rerwin's help) to get these ati's all booting correctly. But I'll wait until I've built a new kernel as things will change.

LinuxUser531700 .. thanks for testing. Now this is a very strange issue. Just to clarify.. install (full) goes fine, then boot starts up and you are confronted with that long list of keymaps in the first dialog window (console mode) right? Then you are stuck. That's how I read it. Bugger. Thanks for reporting though, I'll investigate. Perhaps, if you have one, try a different keyboard, or if that's not possible try adding some kernel params to your grub boot kernel line in your menu.lst. If a single processor, "nosmp", maybe "acpi=force" or "acpi=off". If anyone else has a clue, please chip in.

EDIT: I just thought, this may be an issue of the new woof (build system). In the main post there is a link to my "main" repo (where all the xdelta files are too), there you could try spup-099 if you wanted to see if it has the same issue. The differences between 099 and 100 are fairly small.

starhawk, while I agree re frugal v full, I'm glad LinuxUser531700 brought this up. Linux is about choice 8) . And a bug is a bug.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
James C

#692 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: James C, apart from some small upgrading issues your main one seems gparted. I couldn't reproduce that but you can install lupu's gparted in spup as it's a slackware one, playdayz was having issues with the Ubuntu version..
I know why you couldn't reproduce the Gparted problem, the old P4 is having difficulties running from a live cd. GParted works fine from the installed Spup 100 so it was a false alarm. Apparent hardware issue.
Everything else went well on the 2 upgrades. :)
LinuxUser531700

#693 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

01micko,

Yes, to confirm...after a full install, I reboot and get to the point to choose keyboard layout...then I'm stuck and can only power off. No mouse or keyboard responses.

Thanks for the reply. I did try another keyboard. I rebooted between each try just to be sure and nothing.

My processor is an AMD Quad Core......still try the acpi options?

The thought did cross my mind to try the spup-099. I downloaded last night and attempted. First off, I couldn't do a full install because the script of the installation was searching the CD for the files named spup_099.sfs. The file name that was in the CD I downloaded was spup-099.sfs. I think that's right.....one way or another, there was a difference in the name, in one of those files...instead of a dash it should have been an underscore. It got late last night, so I didn't finish playing with it. Will try again tonight after work.
Billtoo

spup-100 built from latest woof

#694 Post by Billtoo »

quote="01micko"]

Billtoo, could you load the module for Broadcom wireless on your machine manually? Did it work in previous versions? Unusual that the wallsetter is broken for you. I can't break it. You could install SWS from here. Good your nvidia machine seems ok. Oh yeah, that mouse window pops up after 8 seconds if you don't move the cursor. A new woof feature, in quirky-142 too, designed for old serial mice in case they aren't detected.

[/quote]

Hi 01micko

I think there is a pet on the forum that will fix the broadcom, the wireless does work in fluppy 13 and snowpuppy 15, doesn't work work in wary 5.1.1.
The nvidia driver is working great.
SWS works for wallpaper changing, the default still doesn't on this desktop or the netbook.
I added kde games from the ppm and it works good, shisen-sho is a favourite of mine :)
Attachments
sws.jpg
(16.13 KiB) Downloaded 1392 times
pwallpaper.jpg
(19.66 KiB) Downloaded 1345 times
James C

#695 Post by James C »

Had the old P3 test box going testing and upgraded the frugal install from 099 to 100. No problems at all. :)
LinuxUser531700

#696 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

Ok, re-installed 100 as a full install. Added acpi=off to the boot and the set up no longer hangs at keyboard layout.

What affect does acpi=off have? What was disabled?
DaveS

#697 Post by DaveS »

OK, this is weird.... Just been looking at my Spup install. Frugal to HD. I have two partitions, sda1, sda3. Spup is installed in folder named spup1 on sda1. Somehow, the save file is in a folder called spup1 on sda3! Thinking I might have been dopey when I did the initial install, I hid the save file and went thru the process of creating a new one. Path on final screen showed /spup1/spupsave, but again it created the file on sda3.
So. Moved the save file into the spup1 folder on sda1, but then spup failed to see it.
Only other foreigner in spup1 is a file I have never seen before named SAVEMARK which seems to be a text file with just

Code: Select all

in it.
Any clues?
FWIW, multiboot with Mint on sda1, plus other pups also on sda1.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
James C

#698 Post by James C »

DaveS wrote:OK, this is weird.... Just been looking at my Spup install. Frugal to HD. I have two partitions, sda1, sda3. Spup is installed in folder named spup1 on sda1. Somehow, the save file is in a folder called spup1 on sda3! Thinking I might have been dopey when I did the initial install, I hid the save file and went thru the process of creating a new one. Path on final screen showed /spup1/spupsave, but again it created the file on sda3.
So. Moved the save file into the spup1 folder on sda1, but then spup failed to see it.
Only other foreigner in spup1 is a file I have never seen before named SAVEMARK which seems to be a text file with just

Code: Select all

in it.
Any clues?
FWIW, multiboot with Mint on sda1, plus other pups also on sda1.
As far as I know the SAVEMARK file identifies the location of the save file if the save file is in a different partition than the other Puppy files.
My test P3 has 15 partitions and I have messed up and put the savefile in the wrong partition. I always just moved the save file to the correct partition and deleted the SAVEMARK.
In your case,the SAVEMARK in your Spup folder on sda1 is telling Puppy to look in sda 3 for the save file,hence the "3". Should just be able to delete the SAVEMARK and solve the problem. That's worked for me.
HTH.
DaveS

#699 Post by DaveS »

Thanks James, that fixed it. Wonder why it happened in the first place. Me dopey I guess.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
nooby

#700 Post by nooby »

Micko oops I have no idea what did happen. My bad.

Edit after booting it up again but after removing these from kernel line

acpi=off apm=off noapic nodma nopcmcia
and only having this

title spup-100
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /spup-100/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=spup-100 nosmp pfix=fsck
initrd /spup-100/initrd.gz

Now everything booted up to the screen just perfectly and says that I have 1024 x 768 but it show it as 1024 x 600 on the external screen which I hate and very few of all the other OS has that weird behavior.

To cut to the chase? How can I make spup-100 show 1024 x 768 on the external screen instead of 600 it shows now?

And it is not criticism but why force us to have Seamonkey when each user want to install their preferred browser? Kind of odd to me :)

I try to upload a picture how it looks the only way to get ot to fill the screen in full screen is to change from jwm to the other window manager. But I don't remember that I did so more likely I was in another puppy OS and thought I was in your spup-100 I am so sorry.

I try to edit that post so it does not give wrong impression. Still the reason I don't use Spup are that it shows things in wrong resolution which the other puppies don't have problem with so I fear that the Puppy 5.3 will be same 1024 x 600 then due to some built in policy in Slack?

here is old text

It did not behave as I am used to. By now I can move around using Rox rather good but Fluxbox I totally failed at.

Could I have downloaded some other OS and trusted it was Spup-100
Okay I do it again and try to give some picture to show why I fail with the menus.

But my main very friendly complaint is that it totally failed to start to Desktop in Xorg. The wizard gave the impression that it would work but it shut down to prompt instantly. Only xvesa to rescue and even that one behaved unusual too. I am in Snowpup now and if I go Menu > System > System Status ... > Htop System Process Viewer then one can see which prog is active and which is loaded but not active at the moment.

How does one do that in Spup-100
Attachments
spup-100-1024x600-pic.jpg
(74.61 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though