How to use unusual broadband Internet connection?

Booting, installing, newbie
asmitko

How to use unusual broadband Internet connection?

#1 Post by asmitko »

I use a broadband connection with dynamic IP, with user name and password for ISP server login. In windows works - but I don't know how to set it on Puppy Linux Live CD (I set the network - internet with ststic IP, but now the cable modem was replaced with fiber-glass/UTP cable without modem - without IP).
Can somebody give me a clue to set it ? (the wizards don't have this step of configuration)
Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

I am not quite sure how your broadband setup works.

How do you connect in Windows at the moment.

What instructions did your provider give you to connect to the internet.
asmitko

Connection

#3 Post by asmitko »

Network board is enabled allways, in Windows - network connections (internet connection made with wizard - broadband/manulaly setup/automatic connect (no IP)/use user name and password)) - doubleclick on connection - user name and password are allready set - connect / server checks user name and password and allow access. If I'm not very clear in description, please tell me and i'll write the steps of configuration in WinXP exactly. I specify again - it is not a connection thru a dial-up modem or network modem with predefined IP/Subnet Mask/Gateway/Primary & Secondary DNS. The provider give me only User-name & Password.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I have an internal PCI card cable modem. The computer thinks it's an ethernet card. Puppy sees it as an ethernet card and the ethernet wizard has no problem connecting with DHCP.
Basu

#5 Post by Basu »

Are you living in India and are you talking about a BSNL broadband connection? If yes, then I'm having trouble with that too.
asmitko

#6 Post by asmitko »

Puppy recognize the PCI card UTP cable "modem" and sees it as an ethernet card, the phisical connection is already done (test OK - Driver OK) but I have no possibility to login on server with user name and password.
Where to set them ? There is no applet or wizard to do this.
The only way is to set the static IP (no needed).
The connection is already working (I can monitorize the pings onscreen - in taskbar) but I need something like :
Username ....................
Password .....................
and a connect button
Or some setig posibilities - to set those before attempt to connect or autoconnect at startup (boot).
asmitko

#7 Post by asmitko »

Sorry Basu, but I'm from Romania (Europe) and this problem is new one and only for PuppyLinux. Till connection was with static IP everything was Ok, the ISP change the infrastucture on fiberglass and the way to connect with Dynamic IP with username and password (as at Dial-Up connections with prepaid cards or contract) ... or something like this.
For first time nidher WinXP recognize the connection and I reboot from setup CD to configure the internet connection ... and after that it works.
asmitko

Details for Ian

#8 Post by asmitko »

The networc PCI card is working apart / the connection is enabled and is working (reciveing pings from server) - see pictures.
If I don't run the login (ISP connection) - I can't do anything on web.
There are details from WinXP.
Attachments
Working_Net-Card_Setings.gif
(59.34 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
Login.jpg
(34.35 KiB) Downloaded 1080 times
Béèm

#9 Post by Béèm »

What exactly is the name of your connection type.
For internet to work you need an IP addres on the network interface.
In the example of Windows you obscured the IP address.
Is it something in the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx?
If you go in start|Network|roaring pinguin can you select something on the econd tab NIC and DNS?
You have to give more information about the hardware in order to be able to select the proper driver (if it exist for your type of connection)
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini
lior2b

#10 Post by lior2b »

asmitko, try pppoe-setup from console, follow the instructions and use pppoe-start to connet. This is what I use to connect...
[color=#4682B4]Lior Tubi[/color]
asmitko

Beem & lior2b

#11 Post by asmitko »

I have tried a lot of things.
ifconfig eth0 reports that everithing is Ok (Ip, Submask, Gateway, etc) so the network card is working properly.
I set the network connection with Roaring Penguin (NIC and DNS ofers only eth0 card - the card is recognized well and the driver is properly installed).
After that I have set the config files manualy - help instructions - pppoe.conf & pap.secrets - seems to be Ok = connection fails.
I have tried to start pppoe-setup from console as indicated root/pppoe-start to follow the instructions but isn't start - the file isn't there, I have tried to use DEBUG1=pppoe-start / fails - no debug.
Seems, in my case even reading all writed help is not enough - probably Puppy is too new for me (and different = Linux) and I'm not familiarized with commands or Puppy Live CD in basic shape as I burn ISO image does not contain all files needed. I'll try to search better and corespond with you.
Is a little bit hard to boot and reboot in different OS (Win/HD & Puppy/CD) on same PC. The configure of static IP/Puppy was a joke in compare with this.
rarsa

#12 Post by rarsa »

I think that all of you have neglected a question:

What kind of broad band is it:

ISDN? ADSL? Cable?
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to
Béèm

#13 Post by Béèm »

rarsa wrote:I think that all of you have neglected a question:

What kind of broad band is it:

ISDN? ADSL? Cable?
No, I asked about the connection type before.
Look at the OP's initial question, he says his cable modem is replaced by a fiber UTP connection, but said explicitely no IP is needed, and that is strange.
So we still don't know what exactly he has, that's correct.
Béèm

Re: Beem & lior2b

#14 Post by Béèm »

asmitko wrote:I have tried a lot of things.
ifconfig eth0 reports that everithing is Ok (Ip, Submask, Gateway, etc) so the network card is working properly.
I set the network connection with Roaring Penguin (NIC and DNS ofers only eth0 card - the card is recognized well and the driver is properly installed).
After that I have set the config files manualy - help instructions - pppoe.conf & pap.secrets - seems to be Ok = connection fails.
I have tried to start pppoe-setup from console as indicated root/pppoe-start to follow the instructions but isn't start - the file isn't there, I have tried to use DEBUG1=pppoe-start / fails - no debug.
Seems, in my case even reading all writed help is not enough - probably Puppy is too new for me (and different = Linux) and I'm not familiarized with commands or Puppy Live CD in basic shape as I burn ISO image does not contain all files needed. I'll try to search better and corespond with you.
Is a little bit hard to boot and reboot in different OS (Win/HD & Puppy/CD) on same PC. The configure of static IP/Puppy was a joke in compare with this.
In the roaring pinguin configuration, thir tab options did you specify synchronous ppp?
I had a case where I had to turn it off th get the connection working.
Try it.
asmitko

Specifications

#15 Post by asmitko »

Type of broadband : cable (fiber glass up to block / UTP after block modem
Name of ISP : RDS (Romania Data Systems)
Type of connection : Username & Password - provided by ISP
Network card : Realtek - working (driver installed and recognized by Puppy)
Connection (WinXP) : Internet connection/manually setup/broadband that requires a user name and a password/ISP name/user name & password/OK
Connection properties : General/Service name __ No name (blanck)
Security/Typical _______Alow unsecure password
Networking____________PPPoE
TCP/IP _______________Obtain IP Auto
Obtain DNS address Auto
Use default gateway on remote network
asmitko

Re : Beem

#16 Post by asmitko »

Roaring Pengiun config was synchronous ppp and now I deselect it.
Something is change - apears sinuous green line at half-right and a "dead"
red line at half-left (green line up to 8.5 - red line 0.0). I tried to start Mozilla and Yahoo Messenger - start but no data transfer. When I try to stop connection to restart it, Puppy crash.
Step by step maybe, with your help, the problem will be solved.
Béèm

Re: Re : Beem

#17 Post by Béèm »

asmitko wrote:Roaring Pengiun config was synchronous ppp and now I deselect it.
Something is change - apears sinuous green line at half-right and a "dead"
red line at half-left (green line up to 8.5 - red line 0.0). I tried to start Mozilla and Yahoo Messenger - start but no data transfer. When I try to stop connection to restart it, Puppy crash.
Step by step maybe, with your help, the problem will be solved.
I am new to Linux also.
I'll try to upload my picture of roaring pinguin (nrvr did such a thing)

The red part is the upload I think and the green the download.
So if I understand yoy well, you have green but red is at zero level.
So nothing is going out on your machine I suppose.

Do you use a firewall?
(same tab options)
Attachments
roaring.png
(4.89 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
asmitko

To Beem

#18 Post by asmitko »

Yes, it is so. Even now, download side grows to 125.0 the upload remain 0.0, means - download request is 0.0 - for any program.
Plus - Xorg crashes (in combination with R Penguin) and Puppy with it - no posibility to set Xvesa - after the steps of configuration is blocked and need manualy restart (button).
Now I'll try to set up some in PPPoE.conf (after rebooting on CD)
Basu

#19 Post by Basu »

There is kernel module dotpup somewhere on these forums, which is needed by some cards to use synchronous PPP properly. I think that my connection is similar to yours. A normal straight ethernet cable goes from my LAN card to the the modem which connects to a phone line. But the connection in windowsXP is the same as yours. I still can't get mine to work, but I'll try the kernel module later today and let you know. I have a VIA LAN card btw, so if anyone has experience with that, please help. The connection works in Ubuntu, so I think it's puppy-specific.
Béèm

Re: To Beem

#20 Post by Béèm »

asmitko wrote:Yes, it is so. Even now, download side grows to 125.0 the upload remain 0.0, means - download request is 0.0 - for any program.
Plus - Xorg crashes (in combination with R Penguin) and Puppy with it - no posibility to set Xvesa - after the steps of configuration is blocked and need manualy restart (button).
Now I'll try to set up some in PPPoE.conf (after rebooting on CD)
asmitko,
Several times, several people have asked about your exact configuraton.
This includes the brand/model of all internet related devices like the ethernet card, the connection and how exactly and with what device you connect to your provider.
This will make things a little easier to understand your problem.