About puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
udoka

About puppy

#1 Post by udoka »

Hi everyone am new to this forum and also new to puppy linux, but am working on a website and was hoping if there would be compatibility issues (in terms of display) if its viewed in puppy linux. Presently am not using puppy but plan to use it.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Some Puppy users turn off flash and javascript. Many of us never or hardly ever install java.
Many are not using HTML 5 browsers yet
Apart from this pages display fine in browsers used in Puppy.
One other thing is pages using non-western language scripts, these may not always display without further effort.

Show us any pages and we will let you know :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
L18L

website

#3 Post by L18L »

Hi udoka,
if you validate your website everybody will be happy :)
http://validator.w3.org/
Bernie_by_the_Sea

Re: About puppy

#4 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

udoka wrote:Hi everyone am new to this forum and also new to puppy linux, but am working on a website and was hoping if there would be compatibility issues (in terms of display) if its viewed in puppy linux.
There is no single way things are viewed in Puppy Linux. Assorted browsers are commonly used and often more than one is used. For example, the browser I use the most is SeaMonkey 2.0.11 that I chose weighing the speed/size/rendering tradeoff. On occasion I also use Opera 11.01 in its standard Linux form. I use Dillo a couple of times a day for its high speed to check certain weather and news sites but it renders all sites poorly. On the other hand I don't use Firefox which is probably the most common browser used in the Puppy community, sometimes in its latest Linux version. Puppy is no different than any other Linux distro in browser choices. It seems most of Linux is now using Firefox. I use Firefox in Mepis and PCLOS and IceWeasel in Knoppix.
vickyg2003

#5 Post by vickyg2003 »

You should check to see how seamonkey renders your website. SeaMonkey is the default browser in many versions of puppy. My website receives about 900 hits a day, and in the two years its been 27 hits from seamonkey. Those were all from me this week ! :D:

I've also seen some issues with Microsoft fonts in some firefox puppy distros. So that is something you should check too.

Puppy also has a couple of PDF viewers, so if you are presenting any PDF content you should check to see if there are any issues there as well.

The good news is that after burning a few CD's you can check this out without any pain at all. Puppy was very friendly.
nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

udoka wrote:Hi everyone am new to this forum and also new to puppy linux, but am working on a website and was hoping if there would be compatibility issues (in terms of display) if its viewed in puppy linux. Presently am not using puppy but plan to use it.
I know of one such not so compatible but it is not really about Puppy as I get it.

Chromium for linux seems difficult to get going in puppy due to something that makes the Chromium say that it can not display the site. Happen to many sites for that Chromium.

If one trick it then it show it anyway. Sometimes it say that the Flash version is too old but is polite enough to allow one to use it anyway.

But IIRC and AFAIK this happen in Ubuntu too? Am I wrong?

Another not so compatible thing is that some programs has started to "dislike being root so much that they refuse to start" that is unfortunate and require some hacking. At least two programs I heard acted that way. VLC was one of them.

Apart from that Puppy works like none else. Very satisfied with Puppy.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
puppyite

#7 Post by puppyite »

This is not a Puppy issue it is a browser issue, some may render pages slightly differently. You can either test your site in as many browsers as you have available or use this site: BrowserShots