How do I password protect Puppy Linux 5.2.5

Booting, installing, newbie
N00bx1000

How do I password protect Puppy Linux 5.2.5

#1 Post by N00bx1000 »

In the previous versions of Puppy that I've used, I've always had the option to choose how to save during the first shutdown. I'd always selected file, and password protected it.

I have two questions:

1. Is this THE way to password protect my OS?

2. Since I wasn't asked to select how I was pupsave to save, using my newly installed 5.2.5, how do move away from the "windows security model" to one that affords me more control?
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

I have not tried 5.2.5 yet, but I suspect it should do the save the same way as before.
Are you sure you didn't see the selection screen in which you could say to say encrypted?

Otherwise report this in the 5.25 feedback and bug report thread in the bugs section
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
N00bx1000

#3 Post by N00bx1000 »

I was having a bit of trouble with graphics for the first bit, and may have missed it.

I've recently been looking into TrueCrypt as an option, but I don't yet know if I want to experiment with it. Any insight would, of course be appreciated.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

I remember from threads about this, that encrypted save files can be used if more then one user employs the PC. Each one can create his encrypted save file and thus protect some sensible information.

The puppysearch link in my sig will permit to find threads about the subject.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch