The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wdm

#1661 Post by wdm »

Thanks for the info on K6pack. I now have lupu 5.2 (not retro) working on my 11 yr. old amd k6-3. Its a little slower than 214x-top7, but still usable.

I did not install e2fsprogs. Will that do anything for the amd k6?
AleSeg

#1662 Post by AleSeg »

Bigpup Wrote:
How is Lucid 5.2.5 installed?
Full install?
Frugal install?
My answer:
I made a Full install in the compact flash that substitute the HHDD.
Remember my question:
I want to shutdown the PC without saving the work space in the flash disk.

Thanx
bigpup

#1663 Post by bigpup »

AleSeg wrote:Bigpup Wrote:
Full install?
Frugal install?
My answer:
Remember my question:

Thanx
If you did a full install. Everything gets put on the compact flash like any other full install. It constantly reads and writes to compact flash.
A frugal install may give you the control you want.

Explain what is "saving the work space"?

This info may help you to understand.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
chrismt

#1664 Post by chrismt »

@playdayz

I wish you could update Lucid to the latest woof when the woof bugs are fixed

No wonder my usb wireless didn't load sometimes, it loaded only after 2 or 3 reboots
nubc

#1665 Post by nubc »

Where is the temporary download flv file located when playing a YouTube video? One would expect the temporary Flashxxxxxx file to be located in tmp, but it is not there in Lucid 5.25. I tried to locate the temporary file by searching with pfind, didn't find it.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1666 Post by Béèm »

nubc wrote:Where is the temporary download flv file located when playing a YouTube video? One would expect the temporary Flashxxxxxx file to be located in tmp, but it is not there in Lucid 5.25. I tried to locate the temporary file by searching with pfind, didn't find it.
I use the Flashgot extension and can save those flv files to any directory I want.
Easy to use.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
AleSeg

#1667 Post by AleSeg »

bigpup wrote:
AleSeg wrote:Bigpup Wrote:
Full install?
Frugal install?
My answer:
Remember my question:

Thanx
If you did a full install. Everything gets put on the compact flash like any other full install. It constantly reads and writes to compact flash.
A frugal install may give you the control you want.

Explain what is "saving the work space"?

This info may help you to understand.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
I see... It´s better I re-format my flash and make a frugal install.
Sorry for my inaccurate description of the saving process .
Thank you very much for your help bigpup :)
pacer106

update

#1668 Post by pacer106 »

hello again all puppy fans. an update on my lucid turning off my monitor issue. i tried the pfix=nox and choosing vesa idea & also specified the intel driver to use in other options i found in xorgwizard but nothin wants to work with 525 i did get retro to work its great thanks dpup for lettin me know about it. i have another question about remastering a pup is it possible to save a program installed in wine in the remastering? i see there is an option to make the remaster specific to my machine but not sure if that would keep the programs installed in wine intact. i remastered without saving as if it were for my computer only and nothing stayed installed in wine. my other thought was that i need a lot more experiance to do saving things installed in wine like when it offers to edit the xxx.sfs package and stuff. if thats the case ill be doin that eventually when i learn more about it all.

thanks again to all who use puppy :)
naena

Is this a bug in Lucid 5.25 ?

#1669 Post by naena »

I am writing here because all the heavy-weights are talking here. (Pardon the intrusion)

I am working on a special help file for Singhala users, and want to place an icon for it on the desktop and also add it as a help file under a Help menu alongside Puppy Help. Here is what I did (within double-lines):

=================================================

1. Made two icons 48 pixel square and 24 pixel Square and placed them at:
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/ (langkaa24.png & langkaa48.png)
2. Created a file called, /usr/sbin/singhala -- a shell script that has:
#!/bin/sh
exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/singhala.htm
3. Edited /root/Choices/ROX-filer/PuppyPin to add the Pinboard icon
<icon x="416" y="32" label="singhala">/usr/sbin/singhala</icon>
4. Added the following rule to /root/Choices/ROX-filer/globicons
<rule match="/usr/sbin/singhala">
<icon>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/langkaa48.png</icon>
</rule>
5. Made a Help menu replacing the single item in the following file.
/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc
Now it has two items, one for Puppy Help and another for Singhala
<Menu label="Help" icon="help24.png" height="16">
<Program label="Puppy Help" icon="help24.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>
<Program label="Singhala" icon="langkaa24.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/singhala.htm</Program>
</Menu>
6. Made a similar edit to as in 5 in the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_icewm_menu file:
menu "Help" help24 {
prog "Puppy Help" help24 defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html
prog Singhala langkaa24 defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/singhala.htm
}

separator

=================================================

I had to manually add the icon to the item added to the desktop. The menu never comes back with the Help submenu and its two items.

What am I missing, oh, great K9s ?
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1670 Post by Béèm »

naena, you already have a thread open about this and I gave you the advice to download the menu entry maker pet.
Use the puppysearch link in my sig to find the pet.
Time savers:
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
playdayz

#1671 Post by playdayz »

TOR-Browser Bundle 1.1.8
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet
The complete package with TOR and Firefox. for anonymous browsing for people in countries where the government restricts internet access.

TOR-Vidalia
TOR and the gui Vidalia without any browser for those who can donate bandwidth to the TOR project--for those in countries that do not restrict access to the internet. If TOR stalls on opening, run Psync--evidently TOR needs accurate internet time. Then click Setup Relaying.

Info on TOR -> http://www.torproject.org/

Some info from previous version thread.
It works on pup431, with the plugins here "/opt/tor-browser_en-US/App/Firefox/plugins".

Also, in the lower right corner of the tor-browser is a "Tor Enabled" button. Right-click >preferences>security settings>dynamic content>uncheck disable plugins and retoggle Tor.

For untrusted sites, you may also have to change the "s" >options>embeddings>uncheck forbid flash.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 19 May 2011, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
L18L

Re: Is this a bug in Lucid 5.25 ?

#1672 Post by L18L »

:( sorry
please delete
playdayz

#1673 Post by playdayz »

Flashplayer 10.3 r 181 is packaged differently than usual--it is not just libflashplayer.so. You can change the extension of the pet to tgz and unpack to see what is inside. The pet is 12MB!!!

My guess is it would probably work with just liflashplayer into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. There is even a menu entry to configure Flashplayer.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -lucid.pet
chrismt

#1674 Post by chrismt »

playdayz wrote:TOR-Browser Bundle 1.1.8
The complete package with TOR and Firefox. for anonymous browsing for people in countries where the government restricts internet access.

TOR-Vidalia
TOR and the gui Vidalia without any browser for those who can donate bandwidth to the TOR project--for those in countries that do not restrict access to the internet. If TOR stalls on opening, run Psync--evidently TOR needs accurate internet time. Then click Setup Relaying.

Info on TOR -> http://www.torproject.org/

Some info from previous version thread.
It works on pup431, with the plugins here "/opt/tor-browser_en-US/App/Firefox/plugins".

Also, in the lower right corner of the tor-browser is a "Tor Enabled" button. Right-click >preferences>security settings>dynamic content>uncheck disable plugins and retoggle Tor.

For untrusted sites, you may also have to change the "s" >options>embeddings>uncheck forbid flash.
Thanks man!

I downloaded the standalone TOR package, it works but when i changed the proxy in my browser to 127.0.0.1 and port 8118, its not working

Isn't it possible to manually configure the standalone TOR package with our browser?
playdayz

#1675 Post by playdayz »

I downloaded the standalone TOR package, it works but when i changed the proxy in my browser to 127.0.0.1 and port 8118, its not working

Isn't it possible to manually configure the standalone TOR package with our browser?
Yes, it is supposedly possible to configure the standalone TOR package with your browser--but it seemed like so much hassle that is why I have been posting the Browser Bundle. I basically included the TOR-Vidalia package so that people could contribute bandwidth to the TOR project without having to install the TOR browser, but you are right, it should work.

Here are some instructions -> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en
nubc

#1676 Post by nubc »

This issue may not be 525retro-specific: When I was running 525retro as live CD and frugal install, I tried to Set Run Action for flv files as vlc. This never really took, and the file would always play in Gnome Player regardless. Will I have better luck if/when I install 525retro?
pacer106

update

#1677 Post by pacer106 »

hello again puppy fans.
an update on gettin regular lucid puppy to work on my pc. i followed the xorgwizard suggestion & managed to get puppy loadin the desktop & not turning off my monitor. now the only difference between regular lucid 525 & retro 525 is on regular with vesa i got a black space to the side of the desktop lol. im sure its nothin that can be fixed its just hardware thing. just wanted those who helped me to know i figured it out.

after i used pfix=nox i had to do the xorgwizard thing twice then pick vesa had to do that a few times before i actually got the desktop to showup i didnt know i needed to type xwin after the xorgwizard ran so now i know and want to thank all who helped with ideas again :)
smokey01

#1678 Post by smokey01 »

nubc that's probably because you need to change the defaultmediaplayer setting.

open /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer as text and change:

exec Gnome-player "$@"

exec vlc "$@"

Then whenever you click on any video file it should use vlc.

If you only want vlc to play the flv files then the Set Run Action should work but you only need to do it on one of the flv files.
bigpup

Re: update

#1679 Post by bigpup »

pacer106 wrote: now the only difference between regular lucid 525 & retro 525 is on regular with vesa i got a black space to the side of the desktop lol. im sure its nothin that can be fixed its just hardware thing. just wanted those who helped me to know i figured it out.
If your monitor has an auto adjust button, that should correct this.
Béèm

Re: update

#1680 Post by Béèm »

bigpup wrote:
pacer106 wrote: now the only difference between regular lucid 525 & retro 525 is on regular with vesa i got a black space to the side of the desktop lol. im sure its nothin that can be fixed its just hardware thing. just wanted those who helped me to know i figured it out.
If your monitor has an auto adjust button, that should correct this.
I can confirm.
When going from puppy to Windows (no comments please) I have that also and this auto adjust of the monitor takes care of it.
Time savers:
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch