so your wget .iso failed md5sum?

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
aarf

so your wget .iso failed md5sum?

#1 Post by aarf »

Transmission bittorrent client in puppeee4.4rc2

get the torrent file. (at the momment most puppy.iso dont have torrents)
start the torrent into a new_folder.
when it has started and all the ancillary files are in place, pause the torrent
go into the new_folder and move the newxxx.iso.part to outside the new_folder.
copy the wget_failed.iso into the same new_folder and rename it to wget_failedxxxx.iso.part
(where wget_failedxxxx is now the real actual name of the real actual file that you want.)
select "Verify local data".
when verify is complete, doesnt take long. start the download.
after a little while it should get the missing stuff and finish. 8)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: so your wget .iso failed md5sum?

#2 Post by Flash »

aarf wrote:Transmission bittorrent client in puppeee4.4rc2

copy the wget_failed.iso into the same new_folder and rename it to wget_failedxxxx.iso.part
(where wget_failedxxxx is now the real actual name of the real actual file that you want.)
Man, this doesn't quite measure up to the standard of a How-To. Can you try again? Where do you get the torrent file? How do you start it? What ancillary files do you need and where do you find them? How are they installed?

Caneri

#3 Post by Caneri »

@aarf,

I'd like to know what server will allow torrents or peer to peer (Pierre to Peter) files being transfer across the server.

In my travels of public servers there was NOT one that would allow torrents of any kind to prevent scams/spams and all around bad copyright violations....tell me more.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

You may want to look at this

http://sandvine.com/

It's all over the world and growing.
It also tracks usage from peer to peer and stops/slows/reports abuses at a glance...thus torrents are no longer valid...unless you run a private group/server or have a Warez server that allows it.

It's possible to replace one file on a torrent and turn you into a botnet.

Think about it.

Eric

PS...this company is also associated with RIM aka Research in Motion aka Blackberry handhelds. They have the best encryption that I'm aware of.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

aarf

Re: so your wget .iso failed md5sum?

#5 Post by aarf »

Flash wrote:
aarf wrote:Transmission bittorrent client in puppeee4.4rc2

Man, this doesn't quite measure up to the standard of a How-To. Can you try again? Where do you get the torrent file? How do you start it? What ancillary files do you need and where do you find them? How are they installed?
this a howto for those who know how.

aarf

#6 Post by aarf »

Caneri wrote:@aarf,

I'd like to know what server will allow torrents or peer to peer (Pierre to Peter) files being transfer across the server.

In my travels of public servers there was NOT one that would allow torrents of any kind to prevent scams/spams and all around bad copyright violations....tell me more.

Eric
have just done exactly as in my first post with mageia1
http://mageia.org/en/downloads/
the torrent is there. have seen other torrents at other linux sites in the past. eg knoppix, fedora .
try just the torrent without the initial wget fail if you chose.
Last edited by aarf on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Caneri

#7 Post by Caneri »

No offense but don't you realize torrents are over?

Think more about it..Eric

EDIT: security is far more important than seeding now....I tried it believe me.
Chinese Proverb[/color]

aarf

#8 Post by aarf »

Caneri wrote:No offense but don't you realize torrents are over?

Think more about it..Eric

EDIT: security is far more important than seeding now....I tried it believe me.
you dont see this page?
Attachments
mag.jpg
(33.54 KiB) Downloaded 865 times

Caneri

#9 Post by Caneri »

Yes I see the page.

Unless there is a quantum leap in security for torrents then they can`t be used anymore.

If Fedora et al wish to use them that`s up to them.

The only way I would use a torrent is if the following scenario was to happen.

1: vpn torrent..admin controlled
2: admin would individually accept torrent seeders
3: admin controlled the entire torrent at ALL costs and even more if it were my server.
Chinese Proverb[/color]

aarf

#10 Post by aarf »

Caneri wrote:You may want to look at this

http://sandvine.com/

It's all over the world and growing.
It also tracks usage from peer to peer and stops/slows/reports abuses at a glance...thus torrents are no longer valid...unless you run a private group/server or have a Warez server that allows it.

Think about it.

Eric

PS...this company is also associated with RIM aka Research in Motion aka Blackberry handhelds. They have the best encryption that I'm aware of.
havent read it. bot net: i'll take my chances. havent really got a lot to lose. i assume the experts at fedora and magiea know what they are doing. thanks for the concern.

Caneri

#11 Post by Caneri »

OK aarf,

It's not a disparaging remark against you per se.

I just don't think torrents are a good idea for Puppy (and I did try).

Look into the security side of torrent and the copyright stuff that the big companies are doing...sometime the big boys are right.

Not that I care about pirate/hacked/cracked stuff much...just a heads up aarf...Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

fratermus

#12 Post by fratermus »

Caneri wrote:It also tracks usage from peer to peer and stops/slows/reports abuses at a glance...thus torrents are no longer valid...unless you run a private group/server or have a Warez server that allows it.

Think about it.
FUD.
Eee 900 (16GB SSD), 2GB RAM, Puppy Linux 5.1.1

aarf

#13 Post by aarf »

fratermus wrote:

FUD.
"FUD is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt "
so you also need to eludicate the plausible motivation?.

fratermus

#14 Post by fratermus »

Sandvine and other folks in the business say those things for money.

Why users carry water for them is less clear. Probably the same reason people forward misinformed, manipulative, highly emotional email chain letters that could easily be fact-checked with a 5-second google search.

gcmartin

#15 Post by gcmartin »

"Problem sometimes when trying to help, the helper gets punched"/ Hope that NOT the case here.

Everyone is making a point. I can understand @Caneri as he MAY have intellectual property his is trying to protect or has been taken so his point of view support "locking" and NOT sharing, openly.

I fully understand @Aarf as he, like so many of us, feel an open, sharing approach is a proper means to Open source transfers.

History:
Many years ago various worldwide International groups were looking at how to take advantage of the rising tide of available CPU power for Public good. Everyone with a computer background, today, has heard or maybe participated in the @SETI Project. It got worldwide attentions as so many of us contributed. A Ph.d (as I remember) also put forth a mathematical method of being able to share information without the source host, being overrun with requests. That became the P2P world and Bittorrent became the Leading term-product for doing this.

Usage
Today the torrent community is very active and also, for many is a way of getting media that I request/share without "poncing" on the sharer's machine with everyone else. Also, it allows one to "give back" by sharing as well while he is taking from the sharer pool.

In fact, in the first few weeks of any popular new product availability announcement, their servers can become so overloaded with request that they actually clog and crash. P2P's design virtually eliminates that problem.

I believe that taking and sharing (P2P) at the same time is a much fairer way to getting information than just being a taker without making any attempts to ever share.(as so many are).

Puppy is open and freely available. It, too, would see a reduction in load on the download servers, if P2P is used by both the server and the Pup community. It works!

The availability and use of P2P does NOT mean misuse of Intellectual Property. It is merely a Publicly equal means of sharing. I neither endorse or advocate misuse. But Public streets are NOT restricted because bad-guys use the same streets we do, so I never bought into the argument that P2P is bad because "there are bad guys". If that were the case, why use the Internet?

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

@Aarf has shown us how to correct a bad download without having to download the whole file all over again.

This is a very smart method of correction of a file.

He shares that use of Transmission will correct any file which also has a torrent available without having to re-download. And, you did NOT necessarily have had to use a torrent initially to download the file. I hope I can find this topic next time I have a bad download on some of these ISOs where the checksum does not match. Wow!

Maybe, someday, we'll see a Menubar item in Transmission that will correct this AUTOMATICALLY by just asking where the bad file is, using the torrent site to correct. Maybe.

Thanks for this solution

aarf

#17 Post by aarf »

gcmartin wrote:@Aarf has shown us how to correct a bad download without having to download the whole file all over again.

yes this was the sole aim. no political statements implied. could also be used for minor upgrades to the iso when no xdelta is available.
gcmartin wrote: Maybe, someday, we'll see a Menubar item in Transmission that will correct this AUTOMATICALLY by just asking where the bad file is, using the torrent site to correct. Maybe.
this is a good idea

fratermus

#18 Post by fratermus »

gcmartin wrote: I believe that taking and sharing (P2P) at the same time is a much fairer way to getting information than just being a taker without making any attempts to ever share.(as so many are).
The availability and use of P2P does NOT mean misuse of Intellectual Property. It is merely a Publicly equal means of sharing.
Exactly so, and well put.

I have no spare $$$ to donate to opensource and non-profit projects but I can donate my bandwidth over P2P to help distribute the files. I also donate CPU cycles to distributed computing projects like SETI@home.

Caneri

#19 Post by Caneri »

Good points to All,

FUD?..well just my opinion.

Nothing was meant to derail your point aarf....just a heads up to today's open source.

Who is open source now?
And what do they really do for FOSS.
I tried, and what I saw changed my mind on torrents. It's just my opinion.

Best to All,
Eric
PS..xdelta is a good solution...tombh and some of us promoted this years back...good to see it coming into it's own right.
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#20 Post by Caneri »

Too Add,

I also was legally responsible for what went across my servers.

Not some kid in his momma's basement hacking a thread or cracking a server/torrent.

Does that help you understand my point?

As before..good thread..Eric

PS..good grief I almost forgot...

Code: Select all

wget -c (your url)

with a few option aka -m ....works best for me
Chinese Proverb[/color]