How to install Puppy 525 in Toshiba Satellite?

Booting, installing, newbie
jokersloose

How to install Puppy 525 in Toshiba Satellite?

#1 Post by jokersloose »

Hello everyone,

I am trying very hard to install puppy 5.2.5 on my

Toshiba Satellite A105-S2236

Intel Celeron M 1.6Ghz
512 MB
80 GB
ATI RADEON Xpress X200M, 64MB shared graphics Ram, 1280x800 resolution
Realtek 861, 16 bit stereo sound, Volume control Dial

I want to remove windows and run puppy as my only OS and install on the hard drive. Now I'm not totally new to Linux been running Mint for some time now. But I guess the problem with running an OS that does all the work for you is you forget some basics.

OK so what I have done/tried.....I have deleted ALL of the partition's via GParted. Then I clicked the install, full

Now this is where it gets a bit tricky for me. I just tell it add and use the "1" that is pre-loaded and then keep going. So it goes though what I think is the install and now to the grub part.

I use option 3 (based on a reading from distrowatch) ok so it loads and looks all good.

Now when I re-boot it tells me NO OS Installed.

What have I done wrong? I really like what I have read about puppy and think it will be a good pick for this machine. Just for some reason I can't get it too install.

Thanks in advance for your help,

James
rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here.
jokersloose

#3 Post by jokersloose »

I did for some reason the USB isn't reading or I have no idea how to get it too mount and show up so I can use the installer.
rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you currently on-line with your Toshiba Satellite? If so, just download the installer file into your home directory and run it from there.
jokersloose

#5 Post by jokersloose »

LOL I tried that as well, but for some reason I can't get the network to get online. I am using an Ethernet cable. Use the wizard run the test it says it all good, use the Auto DHCP it says it comes back good. But when I try to install a browser it tells me no internet connection.
rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

jokersloose wrote:for some reason the USB isn't reading or I have no idea how to get it too mount and show up so I can use the installer.
Until you resolve these hardware issues, there isn't much point in doing an install.

When you plug in a flash drive, Puppy should auto-detect it and put an icon on the desktop. Run Gparted and re-format the flash drive as FAT32.
jokersloose

#7 Post by jokersloose »

OK??? Next stupid ? then.

Why isn't everything you need to do an install included with the iso?
CoronelN

#8 Post by CoronelN »

Joker,
Everything is on thhe ISO, you need to burn it to a cd then you will have a bootable cd that will act as a live cd and allow you to either install or just use the laptop from the live cd.

The other option is a bit more complicated which is to actually succeed into making a bootable usb-stick / sd card.

By default their partition is not marked as bootable and some cards will not boot even if you mark the part as boot.

But i am not sure what your problem is right now.

Did you create a cd and you are able to boot to puppy with it ?

Did you create a USB and you are able to boot to it?

When you boot puppy before installing; are you able to connect to the internet ?

Are you able to connect to your network?

I understood that:
You created a CD
booted from it wiped the hdd and tried to install
it failed
You then tried to use the one click installer,
from the live CD
you cannot see your usb stick
you cannot connect to the internet

your first attempt might be related to grub, and the bootloader.

how many partitions did you created?
try deleting them all, create 1 partition, ext2 or 3 a little one will suffice for testing lets say 2gB

do a normal install try to boot.
if it fails boot with the live cd again and run grub bootloader it will walk you trough (more of less) choose install grub to MBR

retry booting if that installs you can add swap partition, grow your partition etc later on.

If that fails you might have hardware that is not fully supported by puppy.

Stupid question: have you removed all usb sticks, cds and everything before trying to boot?
jokersloose

#9 Post by jokersloose »

Corone,

Thanks for the reply. This is what I have done

Created a LiveCd using the down load from the puppy web site. Checked the MD5Sum all good. Then turned on the lap top F-12 to enter boot order. Once the puppy splash screen shows up I hit F-2 then puppy acpi=off. Once it loads I click the install button on the desk top, it goes through what I believe is an install. However, it doesn't look like the graphic's I have found on the distrowatch pagek, but ok. Then a dialog window shows up talking about grub saying something to the effect "if grub is installed" or something like that. So I open my root folder can check the grub file nothing is in there, so I am assuming no grub. So I go the grub loader use the default choices tell it too load grub in my /dev/sda then when it gives me the 3 choices I use choice number 3 even though it says it may be unsafe, again on the advice of a page I read from distrowatch. So then I try to reboot then it tells me

try (hd0,0: invalid or null
hd0,1 same thing
hd0,2 same thing
hd0,3 same thing
fry fd0 invalid or null
cannot find grlir
then it talks about the ethernet controller
then
Operating Systme not found.

If you need all of it I'll type it out.

As to how many partitions I made. 1 but to be honest not really sure how to use Gpartion so not sure I did it right. When I clicked new I entered 1024 in 2 places, but when I went back to make it "boot" it only let me pick the larger one so not really sure there.

And yes I make sure everything is out before I reboot.

James
Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

James,

Anyone of us could help you. But everyone would advise a bit different.

What we've done and the past and learned probably doesn't have to do with a page on distrowatch.

If you are using that page, I don't think others are on the same page. Will you please provide a clickable link to the page so others can be on the same page with you?

Bruce

~
jokersloose

#11 Post by jokersloose »

No problem Bruce in fact I found the link off the forums here in fact:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115

But here's the link to the distrowatch page:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 18#feature
Bruce B

#12 Post by Bruce B »

James,

Thank you.

Rcrsn51 was advising you and you were working of his advice.

Now CoronelN is advising you and you are working off his advice.

Either of your advisers are taking a different approach to a similar end.

You could get confused.

Bruce

~
jokersloose

#13 Post by jokersloose »

Thanks Bruce,

Yes I understand both are directing me 2 different way to same end.

With CoronelN I was mostly just explaining what I have tried so far.

I am hoping I can a work around the hard wear issues that Rcrsn51 posted. LoL
jokersloose

#14 Post by jokersloose »

OK so I got the wireless to work......any help now??

I went to download the installer and it said to save to /root but there isn't a root till I install so a bit confused on that part.
RetroTechGuy

#15 Post by RetroTechGuy »

jokersloose wrote:OK so I got the wireless to work......any help now??

I went to download the installer and it said to save to /root but there isn't a root till I install so a bit confused on that part.
If you are live-booted, you are running in RAM, and the whole OS is there.

The "house" in the upper left corner of the screen is "/root" (ie.. "/~", as you are root) -- albeit in dynamic RAM.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]
CoronelN

#16 Post by CoronelN »

I was mostly trying to get more information ion what you had done to see were was the problem.

I understand now that by distro watch advice you are using mbr.bin ?

have you tried following the advice in the window puppy pops ?

Default DO NOTHING leave current MBR ALONE ???

I would give it a try like that....

I never installed puppy alone always is sharing with windows but it should be easier alone....
jokersloose

#17 Post by jokersloose »

OK so did all of that, when I rebooted I told it not to save anything. Now it will boot too the menu deal? Making the file system usable and such..but it seems to hang on the usb one.

So what's next?

Thanks for all the help so far.

James
jokersloose

#18 Post by jokersloose »

CoronelN,

Just and FYI I did try option 1 and 3 not 2 because don't have a floopy drive (does anyone any more?).

But it looks like I got it load on the hard drive but now it won't load to the desk top.
jokersloose

#19 Post by jokersloose »

OK I rebooted and now it says this:

cat: /etc/oldmousedevice: No such file or directory
The file /etc/mousebuttons has been created, with content "5"
Starting X, specs in /etc/X11/corg.conf, startup apps /root/ .xinitrc...

??
CoronelN

#20 Post by CoronelN »

are you stuck in a blinking cursor wehre you can type stuff ?

if that is the case do:

xwin <enter>

if that fails or gives errors then do:

xorgwizard <enter>

Read a little but if you dont know what it is all about most of the time is safe to keep accepting the defaults :D

if you are stuck with no window (manager) and you cannot type text in the blinking cursor then houston has a problem :D