dell c400 boot error

Booting, installing, newbie
N00bx1000

dell c400 boot error

#1 Post by N00bx1000 »

I got a 'new' dell c400, and I wanted to put puppy 5.2.5 on it. I have to boot puppy to a different machine, and install on the cf card (that is used with an ide adapter) to install. This is because booting a c400 from usb/cd/floppy is very difficult.

This has worked in the past, mind you.

Anyway, I run the cf card's installed puppy 5.2.5 on the separate machine, to ensure proper running before I plug it into the c400.

I now get a boot error I've never seen before:
Setting up the layered filesystem...failed
Dumping last lines of kernel log...
<6>EXT3-fs (sda1): using internal journal
<6>EXT3-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
<4>aufs test_add:248:mount[555]: uid/gid/perm /pup_ro1 0/0/0755, 0/0/01777
<3>aufs test_add:233mount[555]: /pup_ro2 is overlapped
Pausing for 60 seconds...
Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem...Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
I can use the same cf card to boot the other machine, without this error. I'm assuming I may have a hardware issue, but I can't decipher this error to pinpoint the issue. I've tried ext4 and now ext3. I'm going to try ext2, which is the file system i've used in the past with my last c400. I don't know if this will sidestep the issue, but I'd still like to get some help.

Bruce B

Re: dell c400 boot error

#2 Post by Bruce B »

N00bx1000 wrote:Anyway, I run the cf card's installed puppy 5.2.5 on the separate machine, to ensure proper running before I plug it into the c400.

I now get a boot error I've never seen before:

I can use the same cf card to boot the other machine, without this error. I'm assuming I may have a hardware issue, but I can't decipher this error to pinpoint the issue. I've tried ext4 and now ext3. I'm going to try ext2, which is the file system i've used in the past with my last c400. I don't know if this will sidestep the issue, but I'd still like to get some help.
If you made a savefile on the setup computer, certain hardware configuration files are specific to that computer. Puppy should be able to reconfigure itself to the c400 computer.

The first and easiest test I'd make, if there is a savefile, is to boot with the pfix=ram thus causing the booting to ignore the savefile.

If it boots, this helps to isolate what might be the problem

~

N00bx1000

#3 Post by N00bx1000 »

I did make the save file on the other computer, good call. I have new info though. I tried making the save file, well I saved to partition since its dedicated to puppy. I'd done this many installs before, but it seems to be part of the reason for the error. That is to say, I installed puppy 5.2.5 to a CF card, changed pmedia= from ataflash to idehd (as I've done each time I've used the ide adapter), transferred it to the ide adapter, plugged it into the c400, run puppy with nox (i need to set x server manually), ran xwin straight away, personalized several aspects, shut down, saved to partition. This was with ext2 fs. I had also tried a test run with save to file - unencrypted- which worked like a charm. After seeing that save to file worked, I rebooted and ran puppy pfix=ram, so I could set it up saving to partition. that's when I got the same error.

I hope my long-winded story helps you help me.

Thanks.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

N00bx1000,

If I understand well, you actually did get the option to save to a partition.
I didn't succeed in doing so. Some other people neither.

But prior to this you saved to a save file.
I suppose this file is/was to that same partition.
I this file still to that partition you want to use?
If yes, maybe it should be deleted to avoid confusion.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

N00bx1000

#5 Post by N00bx1000 »

I don't really have a good grasp on what's different with this install versus any other, aside from my new c400 machine. I all previous installs, I've opted to save to partition. My reason for this is that I use such a small "HDD" of only 4 gigs. For some reason, no matter how I try, I'm no longer able to do this without that error showing up. I'm just happy that I seem to be able to save to file and have a stable install of puppy 525.

I guess I'll have to be happy with that.

Dougal

Re: dell c400 boot error

#6 Post by Dougal »

N00bx1000 wrote:
<3>aufs test_add:233mount[555]: /pup_ro2 is overlapped
There have been a few cases of that reported in the last few months. No one really made an effort to look into it and figure it out.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind