Lucid 5.2 can't get 7 button mouse to work

Using applications, configuring, problems
kommisar

Lucid 5.2 can't get 7 button mouse to work

#1 Post by kommisar »

Hi-

I run Lucid 5.2 on a laptop without a hard drive by booting from live CD. Booting off the live CD enables my 7 button microsoft usb mouse to function in all respects. When I update the video drivers however, I lose the functionality of the left and right buttons. The NVIDIA driver install runs the Xorg wizard that creates a new Xorg.conf file which is changing things I think. The the thing is the default Xorg.conf file that is present before the wizard runs has no mouse related sections at all yet the mouse works fine. Can someone explain to me what is going on here?

Dougal

Re: Lucid 5.2 can't get 7 button mouse to work

#2 Post by Dougal »

kommisar wrote:The the thing is the default Xorg.conf file that is present before the wizard runs has no mouse related sections at all yet the mouse works fine.
These days Xorg has HW autodetection, so the xorg.conf file is only really needed to use special settings.
You could try commenting out the mouse section of the modified xorg.conf, or maybe just change what it says (does it say /dev/input/mice?).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

what does

Code: Select all

cat /etc/mousebuttons
show ?

Mine shows "3" but all 5 buttons work :1=left,2=right,3=middle,4=scollforth,5=scrollback .

I have also a 7 button mouse but 6=2 and 7=3 .

Xorg vesa_drv.so ATM instead of nv_drv.so .

kommisar

#4 Post by kommisar »

Hi-

I tried commenting only the following section out of the xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" #mouse0protocol
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
#Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

and it resulted in the inability to start the xwindow server

When I also commented out this line

InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

in the section "ServerLayout" the xwindow system would start but there was no mouse functionality at all. I could only move the cursor using the touchpad.

When I reverted the xorg.conf to the default with nothing below the "ServerFlags" section, the mouse had full functionality but the new nvidia video driver was not being used.

So I think I have two choices, get the default xwindows server to use the nvidia driver somehow or get the mouse properly configured using the xorg.conf that was created by the Nvidia installer.

Can anyone let me know how to get the nvidia driver to be automagically used by the default xwindow server using the default xorg.conf?

kommisar

#5 Post by kommisar »

Karl Godt wrote:what does

Code: Select all

cat /etc/mousebuttons
show ?

Mine shows "3" but all 5 buttons work :1=left,2=right,3=middle,4=scollforth,5=scrollback .

I have also a 7 button mouse but 6=2 and 7=3 .

Xorg vesa_drv.so ATM instead of nv_drv.so .
This command shows "5" using the new xorg.conf file.

kommisar

SOLVED

#6 Post by kommisar »

Doing a little research I tried switching to the evdev driver. I got the name of my mouse and the event number using the command "cat /proc/bus/input/devices". Here are the relevant sections of the xorg.conf file that got the left and right buttons to work as they did when there was no mouse configuration information in xorg.conf (i.e. cause browser to go forward / backward).

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "Synaptics Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Name" "Microsoft Microsoft® Comfort Mouse 4500"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
Option "DIALRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
Option "WHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "4 5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

I also discovered that this mouse is actually an 9 button mouse (the ability to tilt the scroll wheel left and right are the 8th and 9th buttons and is typically associated with horizontal scrolling in a lot of browsers). This functionality doesn't work yet but I will keep plugging away and try to get this working as well.