Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stu90

#361 Post by stu90 »

playdayz wrote:
I am using the latest 0.12.4 version of Yad http://code.google.com/p/yad/ that was compiled on Lucid 5.2.5 though with a different kernel as well - maybe it would be better to have it compiled on 26x/5.2.6 due to the luci updates ?
Ive not seen a devx for luci-26x is it safe to use the 5.2.5 devx and if you want i will make a new .pet?
stu90, The lupu_devx_525 is OK. The yad you have been using is probably OK, but if you have time to make one with the 2.6.33.2 kernel that would be great. Thanks. Wait, your yad programs have been working fine in lucid 5.2.5 haven't they? Let's just use that.
Hi playdayz,
I made a fresh compile of yad on luci 263 - probably best to use this one just to be on the safe side.

cheers.
Attachments
yad-0.12.4-i486.pet
(41.45 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
stu90

#362 Post by stu90 »

DaveS wrote:
stu90 wrote:DaveS,
In opera 11.50 do you have any problems with opera menu > extension > get extensions page not loading - i also cant log into yahoo mail.

I have tried Terryph 11.50.sfs and running portable from the 11.50 tar.gz opera download no joy. :(

This is only happening for me with Opera 11.50 my firefox 5 portable works.
Just checked it... no problems at all. I just downloaded the .deb from Opera.com, undebbed it, stuck the whole thing in a directory opera at mnt home, symlinked it into root and run it with /root/opera/opera
Hi DaveS,
i have re downloaded and every thing seems to be working ok now as a portable - i guess i must have had a corrupted download originally or maybe something borked in the opera profile.
playdayz

#363 Post by playdayz »

I am thinking that this could be one visual theme of Lucid 5.2.6. I believe some people would find using these menus a very pleasant way to use Puppy.
bigpup

#364 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:I am thinking that this could be one visual theme of Lucid 5.2.6. I believe some people would find using these menus a very pleasant way to use Puppy.
PupControl for doing setup is a no brainer.
Please keep as is.

PupApps
Only issue I see is the preference settings control what shows in the tabs.
If there is more than one program, for a given item, you will not see a selection for the ones that are not selected in preference settings.

If you are saying, click on menu and this is what pops up for the layout of the menu. Sure would be different.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
playdayz

#365 Post by playdayz »

If you are saying, click on menu and this is what pops up for the layout of the menu. Sure would be different.
I wasn't saying that, but you have got me thinking ;-) It would be different wouldn't it, hmmmm....

I wonder if we changed the 'setup' icon on the desktop that starts PupControl to 'control' I'm just brainstorming.
James C

#366 Post by James C »

Luci-263 live pfix=ram on my Windows 7/PCLOS/Lucid 525 box. Booted straight to a working 1440x900 desktop with working internet and sound.

Mon 11 Jul 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-263 Linux 2.6.33.2
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Core 0: 2806 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 1034MB (169MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.26
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 11 Jul 2011 11:32:21 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Ethernet controller : ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 (rev 11)
Multimedia audio controller : C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
James C

#367 Post by James C »

This is what is being reported on the dual-core with a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS PCIX 2.0x16 video card. That the box I'm having all the trouble with.
James C wrote: Sat 9 Jul 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-261 Linux 2.6.33.2
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 10c3 (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: GT218 Board - 08740005 Chip Rev
This is what is being reported on this box with a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS PCI card. No problems....straight to the correct desktop.

Mon 11 Jul 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-263 Linux 2.6.33.2
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

Any ideas why the videocard is not being identified correctly?
bigpup

#368 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Quickpet->More Pets

Need to remove Dude

It is not compatible with Luci 263.
Totally messes up the desktop and menu.
Will not work at all in JWM, which it was designed for.
Big mess if you try to use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
Puppeteer

Wireless driver updates?

#369 Post by Puppeteer »

Hi,

Just wondering if the wireless drivers will be updated for this release? I currently have to use NDISwrapper, as I have a TP-Link WN821N (v3) USB-Dongle (which uses the Atheros AR9170 chipset), and can't seem to get it to work using the included native AR9170 USB driver.
With the Windows driver, I get a wireless G-connection, which drops out every so often (due to the dongle overheating?). Nevertheless, a flaky connection is, of course, better than no connection...

Thanks for your work on Puppy!
jim3630

Re: Wireless driver updates?

#370 Post by jim3630 »

Puppeteer wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if the wireless drivers will be updated for this release? I currently have to use NDISwrapper, as I have a TP-Link WN821N (v3) USB-Dongle (which uses the Atheros AR9170 chipset), and can't seem to get it to work using the included native AR9170 USB driver.
With the Windows driver, I get a wireless G-connection, which drops out every so often (due to the dongle overheating?). Nevertheless, a flaky connection is, of course, better than no connection...

Thanks for your work on Puppy!
I have the same usb ar9170usb as back up had to boot it up to check and yes it's supported.
pemasu

#371 Post by pemasu »

Here are the backgrounds I used with Polarpup-002.
live

#372 Post by live »

I propose to go beyond the 1024Mb limit when saving the session, this is when tries KDE based soft, puppy warns me that I'm at the limit...
pemasu

#373 Post by pemasu »

pemasu

#374 Post by pemasu »

.......To be continued. Updated resizesavefile.sh script.
It installs over the existing one.
If someone wants version with 100 gb just pm me. It is best that it is done privately, lol.
Or was this one already in Luci 263. Posting now from Barrys 2.6.39.3 kernel version puppy.
Attachments
resizesavefileup8gb-0.0.1.pet
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
rcrsn51

#375 Post by rcrsn51 »

PaulBx1 wrote:
I'm assuming that you would need a new woof build to pick up this patch from BK.
I just stuck Jesse's in the 525 initrd.gz and it worked. I guess there are two different ways to the fix, Barry's and Jesse's?

Wouldn't using a new woof take this out of the realm of a bug fix revision (if it's not already)?
I tested Jesse's patch and it works for me too. There did not appear to be any side effects with regular frugal installs.
PaulBx1

#376 Post by PaulBx1 »

So playdayz, I didn't see a response to my last post, about whether you are going to deal with the "no hard drive" bug with a new woof build (assuming that will fix it), or just implementing Jesse's fix. Looks like 01micko posted Barry's fix, although I couldn't personally get that one to work, while Jesse's fix did work. I hope this one is not falling through the cracks, as I sure would like to get my desktop machine running again.

2) Also the menu bug is still in luci 263 though a fix exists.

3) I had an issue with flSynclient here and in the following post. I am not personally so concerned about that one since I found a work-around, but others may run into it so you might want to add the suggested fix to it.
playdayz

#377 Post by playdayz »

So playdayz, I didn't see a response to my last post, about whether you are going to deal with the "no hard drive" bug with a new woof build (assuming that will fix it), or just implementing Jesse's fix. Looks like 01micko posted Barry's fix, although I couldn't personally get that one to work, while Jesse's fix did work. I hope this one is not falling through the cracks, as I sure would like to get my desktop machine running again.

Jesse's fix is planned in luci-264.
The menu bug fix was supposed to be implemented in luci-263. Is that the one you checked?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to do the following in fbpanel menu also. Can someone cut my learning curve by giving instructions? Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am planning on including stu90's SimpleBox and Simple GTK Theme Makers--they will complement the JWM Theme Maker and imho the more people involved in making things for Puppy the better.

Did I ask this? What word would be better than 'setup' for the icon on the desktop that now starts PupControl?
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Puppeteer

Re: Wireless driver updates?

#378 Post by Puppeteer »

jim3630 wrote: I have the same usb ar9170usb as back up had to boot it up to check and yes it's supported.

For some reason or other, my dongle isn't detected when I load the extra Atheros9 driver. It just says that no new interfaces were detected...

Maybe I just need to start over as I previously used a NIC which functioned, and still functions, fine when I use the Atheros5 driver (which I have kept available under WLAN0).

Regards
DaveS

#379 Post by DaveS »

You have to edit /usr/sbin/pfbpanel to achieve that. Section starts around line 1052 I think.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
DaveS

#380 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote:

Jesse's fix is planned in luci-264.
The menu bug fix was supposed to be implemented in luci-263. Is that the one you checked?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to do the following in fbpanel menu also. Can someone cut my learning curve by giving instructions? Thanks.

I am planning on including stu90's SimpleBox and Simple GTK Theme Makers--they will complement the JWM Theme Maker and imho the more people involved in making things for Puppy the better.

Did I ask this? What word would be better than 'setup' for the icon on the desktop that now starts PupControl?
You have to edit /usr/sbin/pfbpanel to achieve that. Section starts around line 1052 I think.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!